The Islam & Muslims discussion megathread

Guest Pauly

Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?

• Yes, please state why
    • No, people who say this are just thick & ignorant

I don't know what point you're trying to make here. If two people have a dispute and someone need to make a judgment as to who is right and who is wrong, it's not possible to contradict British law no matter what decision you come to.

I’m afraid you are wrong and have obviously never seen a Sharia court in action. There are massive contradictions.

For example, under sharia law a man can divorce his wife just by telling her she is divorced. It’s called the talaq method. A man can eve divorce his wife via text messaging as long as the message was clear and unequivocal

Also, children are then automatically the ward of the father over a certain age (2, I think) without question unless the mother can prove the father is unfit.

Another is Muslim women are only allowed to marry Muslim men.

All of the above are contradictory to British laws and freedoms, freedoms that where fought and died for not so long ago.

Wouldn't make any difference. Non-Muslims can choose to have arbitration carried out in a Sharia court if they wish; Muslims can choose not to.

What would happen if a Jewish woman wants to divorce her Muslim husband? The Husband wishes to go through the Sharia law process while the Wife wishes to go through the traditional British legal system, who wins, because neither court will agree.

I’m afraid you are wrong and have obviously never seen a Sharia court in action. There are massive contradictions.

For example, under sharia law a man can divorce his wife just by telling her she is divorced. It’s called the talaq method.

Also, children are then automatically the ward of the father over a certain age (2, I think) without question unless the mother can prove the father is unfit.

Another is Muslim women are only allowed to marry Muslim men.

All of the above are contradictory to British laws and freedoms, freedoms that where fought and died for not so long ago.

Talaq, to be legal, has to be spoken three times, on three different occasions. and there has to be a legitimate reason to do this act.

You cannot just walk up to your wife, and say "Talaq, talaq, talaq", it has to be done on three seperate occasions.

Also, if you are in the UK, and you also married under Civil law, (eg in the registry office, as well as under an islamic ceremony) you still have to divorce under civil law, too, to dissolve the marriage, to permit either party to remarry.

So, despite the myths, surrounding the "supposed ease" of obtaining a Divorce in Islam, it's not actially as easy as it is assumed.

and that's got what, precisely to do with anything or the price of fish?

I have debated the bible at length on other threads with Grahame and others.

I've debated the same subject with that particular Poster too. :)

I reckon you make a pair in terms of religious fervency, albeit two different "beliefs" are involved. :)

What would happen if a Jewish woman wants to divorce her Muslim husband? The Husband wishes to go through the Sharia law process while the Wife wishes to go through the traditional British legal system, who wins, because neither court will agree.

Then they would go through the English legal system as for arbitration both parties have to agree to the arbitration system. As far as I can see this is English Law applies to everyone as a basis but that you can have arbitration on certain things over and above English Law if both parties agree to it.

Talaq, to be legal, has to be spoken three times, on three different occasions. and there has to be a legitimate reason to do this act.

You cannot just walk up to your wife, and say "Talaq, talaq, talaq", it has to be done on three seperate occasions.

Also, if you are in the UK, and you also married under Civil law, (eg in the registry office, as well as under an islamic ceremony) you still have to divorce under civil law, too, to dissolve the marriage, to permit either party to remarry.

So, despite the myths, surrounding the "supposed ease" of obtaining a Divorce in Islam, it's not actially as easy as it is assumed.

Don't start giving my wife of 43 years standing any ideas, please, PT. :hihi:

I've debated the same subject with that particular Poster too. :)

I reckon you make a pair in terms of religious fervency, albeit two different "beliefs" are involved. :)

no, I would describe myself as quite moderate in my views, actually, I'm not fervent at all.

I don't proselytise, at all. (in fact I defy you to find one post where I have demanded ANYONE turn to ANY faith)

I only correct misconceptions that are perpetrated, abut any faith, that is all.