Anyone from Gleadless?

I used to live above the GT news on Blackstock road between about '73 to '79 when I was a nipper. They were great times, a real community spirit. Now, it's a bit run down. A few years ago I went back and went into the John O'Gaunt for a drink. Man that was weird, I spent years as a kid on the grass verge outside there.

I lived on Raeburn Way 58 to 72 is there anybody remember Dewsnap,Goodwin or others of the street.

there were a family of Dewsnaps on Gaunt, too, Queenie lived next door to my Grandma and Grandpa on Gaunt Close. I STR they were also from the Netherthorpe area, like my father's parents, and were moved out to GV when the Netherthorpe area was "clearanced" in the 50's.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a thought, I mentioned Feb 1979. Does anybody else remember that horrible winter when Sheffield was cut off from the outside World and the gritters were on strike???

Mum and Dad escaped to Gibralter on holiday, catching the last available train to London. It took about 7 hours for them to get to Heathrow!!!!!

And muggings moved house that Friday!!! My wife always said I was an idiot, and that move proved it.

Hi Daveop

Mmm! yes, I remember it well! (being your sibling and all that!). We had problems even on getting to Midland Station. Dad ran several red lights on the way down (no traffic about) because he was worried if he stopped he might not get the car started again!

We got the last train out of Midland that night. There was no heating and no buffet car on the train, the engine broke down twice and had to be replaced en route. Then, to top it all, I got a stinking cold (that train was B***** FREEZING!) and was ill for the whole of the holiday!!!!

By the way, it took us 11+ hrs to get to Heathrow, not 7 - in hindsight

I think I'd have preferred helping you move house!