Safe Sheffield

Dick_Turpin

I know that a lot of folks have been a bit down recently and becoming concerned with the number of reported Gun Crimes ,muggings, Stabbings etc in Sheffield but it is worth remembering that we are still the safest City in the UK.

Things are bound to get worse.They always do but at least here were on the safer end of the scale.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/union/susoc/cssa/information/safestcity.htm

Originally posted by BAZZO

Sadly the claim is based on stats from the year 2000.

A lot of water -and blood has flowed under the bridge since those

peaceful days.

And unfortunately one of the factors in the increase has been the influx of students.

*sigh*

Not that old chestnut again :lol:

Students are not the scum of the earth people on here make out that they are.... They are just normal people who have come to our City to try and earn a Degree or whatever in their chosen subject.

Yeah, some of them cause trouble while they're here, but don't tar them all with the same brush just cos of a few chavvy ones.

Originally posted by Rich

*sigh*

Not that old chestnut again :lol:

Students are not the scum of the earth people on here make out that they are.... They are just normal people who have come to our City to try and earn a Degree or whatever in their chosen subject.

Yeah, some of them cause trouble while they're here, but don't tar them all with the same brush just cos of a few chavvy ones.

I don't know if that's what Bazzo meant, I think he may have meant that more students = more people to mug, burgle etc

Just to clarify my point about students and crime.

It is a fact -and the police will confirm it -that students attract crime.They tend to be careless about safety and security leaving their premises vulnerable to thieves.

And - unfortunately they are also responsible for the steep increase in term-time anti-social behaviour as a result of drunkeness.

This is not student-knocking but indisputable fact.

One theory about the increase in crimes against the person is that we now tend to carry around far more valuable possessions. Plus, the valuables we have at home are far more portable than they used to be. One comedian includes refeence to this in one of his sketches relating how when he was younger the only thing of value in the house was a mangle. He imagined trying to sell this down the pub.

This would be even more true with students. Our local blaggers must look at all the Volvo estates turning up with fresh supplies of precious things and rub their hands with glee.

i dont think sheffield is ever safe we need to get the police,council, the neighbourhoodwatch,etc and the community together to discuss how to tackle crimes and anti social behaviour because its getting worse especially in tinsley,manor,park hill,wybourn etc etc.

Archived