Laundry advice needed :(

In preparation for my visit to London today, I bought a rather nice brilliant white shirt - it was so white it almost glowed in the dark.

Last night, before I went to bed, I washed it as part of a whites wash (along with a very pale light blue shirt)

I've just opened the washing machine door and my brilliant white shirt now doesn't look quite so brilliant - in fact, it's slightly blue. :(

I'm normally pretty hot on domestic stuff, but, having never accidentally died something before, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Is there anything I can do to 'bring it back'? or have I killed it?

Any help appreciated.

If you have time, I'd recommend something from Asda (etc) like 'glo-white' I think it's called?

Aww...it was so blue, it died? :hihi:

I'd try those glo-white packs, if that doesn't work, try bleaching it in a warm wash? Remember to check your shirt's label too to see if its natural, or synthetic. Don't use any enzyme type substances to try to get rid of it, if it's made of cotton. Bleach is chemical, but do dilute it if using it for this purpose. Try something like a cap in 10 litres or something...

Other than that, I don't know what else to try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

There's a Dylon product called "Colour Run Remover" you need to wash it again using this product.

Try not to go the bleach route, as it can leave a yellow cast on some materials even pure cotton.

Dye remover is available in all sorts of places- the important thing is that it works better if the garment hasn't dried with the stray dye on it.

I understand that's probably a bit late for this one, but it's handy knowledge.

you could also try the vanish that is for whites only

Sorry to hear of your laundry-disaster *gulp* nothing worse! I washed a pair of yellow pyjama bottoms in my whites the other day, and it's tinged some of my whites yellow-y ! :help::lol: (I didn't expect yellow to run, although I have had lots of fun and adventures with mixing whites with red knickers and t-shirts, and whites with blue or purple items! damn those undies that hide in the bottom of the drum till you put the whites in!!! )

Beckmann company do the "stain devils" and a colour run remover, too (similar to dylon) you'll find these, and the dylon ones (I think there's one called "rescue"? ) on the laundry aisle at the supermarket.

best of luck getting the run out.

PT

Thanks chaps for all your good advice.

I think I'll try hunting down a colour dye remover next time I'm out.

If it doesn't work, then the washing machine dyes are pretty good - I'll take my pick from the many on offer and just buy a new white one.

Call me fussy, but if it's white, it's got to be white - I have a real dislike for whites that have 'strayed'.

There's a Dylon product called "Colour Run Remover" you need to wash it again using this product.

Try not to go the bleach route, as it can leave a yellow cast on some materials even pure cotton.

Totally agree with ruby and the Dylon product is one of the most efficacious out there.

Bleach can also rot the fibres.

Agree with you on not-white whites :gag:

I agree about bleach - I did that once before and I ended up throwing the item away.

Today I've bought the nearest thing I could find in Asda - a Dylon product for whitening one's knickers. Apparently it 'whitens up' your grey looking smalls and does up to 8 pairs at the same time. I figured that would equate to one shirt, so we'll see how we go tomorrow.

If you ever see me out in a white shirt now, I'll be worried that you'll think it's 'that' shirt! :hihi:

Knicker whitener...I ask you! Whatever next?

Totally agree with ruby and the Dylon product is one of the most efficacious out there.

Isn't that a sort of compost? :suspect:/:)

Isn't that a sort of compost? :suspect:/:)

Stick me in the washing machine. I'm very white and I promise I won't run, honest.......:hihi: