Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

Hi ,eastbank we must know each other,Ethel Marriott nee Young was my mothers sister,her husband Fred was killed just after the war in a factory accident,the Marriotts then lived on Murdoch rd and symonds cres,I knew Jack and the family and I have a photo taken on Murdoch rd.Fred marriott and his family lived on Helliwell crescent.There was some connection with Ike and Elizibeth(aunt Liz)Young who lived on Athelstan Rd.Did you know the Robinsons,Edmond,Anthony and Allan who lived opposite the bottom of Musgrave,they are the other part of my family,Their mum and dad were Ted and Hilda.

sorry mate...only knew jack and wendy/robert.....i am now 56....are you same age as fred....

got a publisher for the book.....should be out next year....

my name is Lilian Lockwood,

That name rings a bell, I remember June Riley from the Crescent also.

Another name just came to mind, the Haddington's, they lived opposite the entrance to the Meadows, at the bottom of the hill on Longley Ave West, seem to think Beryl married a deaf and dumb bloke in her late teens.

The King sisters sound very familiar, but can't remember which house they lived in, just around the bend on Boynton perhaps?

born on musgrave cres, went to buskmeadows, roewoods then herries, then shirecliffe college. its been good reading this thread, recognise loads of names:)

(surprised i can spell owt with that list of schools:hihi:)

Edited by joiner andy

Hi eastbank. I went to Shirecliffe too, or Herries as it became and would have been there at the same time as you.Give us a hint who you are ? Remember those names well. Christopher Bartholamew and Wesley Haywood were both very blonde haired lads as I remember. I went through junior school with them and John Gallagher too. The last I heard of Wes Haywood he was an ambulance man I think . I have a class photo taken in 1972 as we were bout to leave Herries if you'd like to see it let me know .

Chris is my Uncle.

Sorry to hear about Fred Thompson,we were in the same classes at Longley and Shirecliffe schools.Also sad to read about the recent death of Winston Bartholamew who went to Shirecliffe as well,R.I.P.

Winston was my dad.

Edited by dibsy

Chris is my Uncle.

Winston was my dad.

did you manage to contact chris....my new book is out in january and chris features in it.....

your dad was like a big brother to me...so was charles and eric....working on a book called kid of steel......

one story in it...i was helping with their small holding..they kept chickens and pigs....

got too close to charlie while he was using a hammer...lump on my head...took me to your grans...she covered it in butter...happy days

did you manage to contact chris....my new book is out in january and chris features in it.....

your dad was like a big brother to me...so was charles and eric....working on a book called kid of steel......

one story in it...i was helping with their small holding..they kept chickens and pigs....

got too close to charlie while he was using a hammer...lump on my head...took me to your grans...she covered it in butter...happy days

I'm gonna send him a text to let him know, if you ever want his number just let me know.

Dads death was a hell of a shock as it was so sudden, miss him so much, him and my mum moved into a bungalow just 4 months earlier which was something he'd been wanting to do for a long time, mum was due to retire on the following saturday as he died on the tuesday.

Charlie died a few years ago.

Just my uncle John (who is still on Longley Avenue), Eric and Chris left now of the Bartholomew brothers.

Hope you recovered from that...lol, my nan was lovely.

I remember my dad telling me about the chickens and the way they used to strangle their necks to kill them, i remember him also telling me about a time when he cut off one of the chickens heads and then the chicken got up and started running about.

I've got a lot of old photos that I've put on facebook of the lot of them and there's a lot of Chris when he was a lad if you're a member on there.

Edited by dibsy

I'm gonna send him a text to let him know, if you ever want his number just let me know.

Dads death was a hell of a shock as it was so sudden, miss him so much, him and my mum moved into a bungalow just 4 months earlier which was something he'd been wanting to do for a long time, mum was due to retire on the following saturday as he died on the tuesday.

Charlie died a few years ago.

Just my uncle John (who is still on Longley Avenue), Eric and Chris left now of the Bartholomew brothers.

Hope you recovered from that...lol, my nan was lovely.

I remember my dad telling me about the chickens and the way they used to strangle their necks to kill them, i remember him also telling me about a time when he cut off one of the chickens heads and then the chicken got up and started running about.

I've got a lot of old photos that I've put on facebook of the lot of them and there's a lot of Chris when he was a lad if you're a member on there.

yes i am on facebook...think i have just sent you a request.....

we were best mates at school....the new book which is called kid of steel....tells of growing up on the shirecliffe....that one should be out at the end of 2012....

the one out in january was first issued in 2002....let chris know....my contact details are below...

I am Lily Lockwood, I know many of these names on these pages, lived on Boynton Crescent, my brother is Tom lockwood, sister was Sheila.

I had a brother Albert who died at 11 years old.

some names I know , Middletons, Straws, Pearsons,Stewarts , Kershaws [ almost family to me]

Jud Mills, was a close friend to my brother,Rileys,ThompsonsHowarths , these lived on the crescent , except for Jud mills.

Any one remember buying home made toffee , and apples from a woman about two streets from me, they were the best,[ treacle toffee. I can see it but can not rember her name or street...

your answer to treacle toffee apples mrs,thompson, lived on boynton road it was freddy thompson mother message from david stewart who lived on boynton crescent 3 doors down from you.