Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

Hi BullerboY, thanks for the email, nice to contact some of the neighbours. Unfortunately, Brian died a few years ago at the age of 71, miss him as he as a lovely bloke. Such a shock as he was so fit & healthy. As I have said, I went to Longley infants on Herries / Raisen Hall Road (opposite the Forum) and then on to City Grammar where I knew an Earnest Cooper, not David.

I used to deliver papers for Wilcox / Quail too, they accused me of not delivering a newspaper and sacked me! Trouble was, he was right, just missed the house and wasn't going back as he wanted me to.

I used to hang around with Jeff Price & Trevor Beard but lost contact with them now.

Just received a call from my friendly travel agent, I'm coming over to UK on 28th this month and will definitely call in on Sheffield. Mills family are still mostly in the area, but both my kids are presently working in London, hence free board.

Might see you around, take care

Millsie

You lot in Oz with all that sun, all we get is rain.

Best ten quid I ever spent Buller, ha ha.

I remember Jeff Price, good soccer player in his day.

Jeff was indeed a good player. I believe one of his brothers (Peter I think) died in a road accident a few years ago. We all used to play in the top wood Sundays, beating the players was bad enough but the trees & tree stumps were the worst!

Most kids a bit older than me had to do National service, probably like bullerboY and that gave them a bit of adventure. No NS when I was 18, liked to travel, so after finishing my apprenticeship at Dormer Tools, saved 10 pounds to come out here for a couple of years.

That was in 1965, still here!

Sheffield has improved a lot though, my grand-kids love visiting there, especially Rails, the model train shop up Chesterfield Road. Just confirmed my booking, leave to visit UK May 27th, hope United win at Wembley, be good to have 2 teams in Championship again.

See you, Millsie

Hi millsie, I knew all the Prices and Trevor Beard,I din't know Brian had died,wasnt he married to Ann Trotter once upon a time. Shirecliffe is definatly not the place it used to be the shops there are a mess now and they have built some really strange houses there.We had a fifty yrs reunion at Longley School a few years ago and I am in touch with a few of the old boys and girls,what names do you remember?

Millsie,peter is still alive and living up Lane top he was a well known Sheffield Councillor and is still active in cycling,Ken died a few years ago and he was a weight lifting champ,i dont know where Jeff is these days. Yes that tenner was the best money you ever spent.

No, Brian married Doreen Hogg. Alan was married to Ann for a short while, didn't work out at all. I am a bit confused, the infants school cnr. Herries Road & Raisen Hall was Longley wasn't it (opposite the old Forum)? That's the one I went to. Mr Mason was my last teacher there. At 5, I had a crush on Miss Broadhead because she had a very shiny face ( I later learned that she probably had other attributes!). There was Ann Allerton, Eileen Boot & Pat Fox whom I met up with on a visit in the 80's, Ann Gregory (you probably knew her bro & is Tommy & Janet), Tony Allen, Keith Marshall, Brian Gee, Billy Taylor, Roger Goodison & Michael Edison to but name a few.

Sorry bullerboY, it was Ken who died. Peter actually responded to a Genes Reunited contact a few years ago and he advised me re Ken, and that Jeff was an accountant who I think moved somewhere in Derbyshire.

Hi millsie,I wasn't sure whether it was Brien or Alan,I used to go out with Ann around 1956 unfortunatly she has now gone about 4 years ago.I knew Eileen Boot,Pat Fox has also gone she married Tony Marsh who lived down Raisen Hall Rd I remember Brian Gee and Roger Goodison,Mick Edison was in the same class as me.The teachers I remember were Mason,Constadine Talbot,Miss clareborough,Mrs Biram,the Headteachers were Miss Driver and Miss chapell,Yes you have the right school opposite the Forum.Ann used to be a stunner I was nuts packing her up.

Those days playing footy in the wood were the good old days, sometimes 22 a side, ha ha, Roger Goodison was in the same class as me at Shirecliffe, he was a big lad, and very easy to get along with, others I remember from your side of the wood were Dave Futter, Alf Oates [no longer with us] Kevin Bloominstock, Alan Ransom, and many more that are in my inbox somewhere.

Our back garden used to overlook the wood, but I had to climb the neighbours fence to get to it, because there were two gardens from a couple of houses on Shirecliffe road that joined ours at the top, then they built that little community hall where they had dances on a weekend, but it looks rather big nowadays, and now there's a new school in the wood too, so the side of Boynton Rd where I lived has now been blocked off, but our old house is still there.

I only spent my last three years at Shirecliffe school, as we moved from Crookes when I was 12, so I only knew the kids that lived locally or that I went to school with there, I'm surprised how many people I knew still live in that area.

Yep Skippy, I lived at No. 13 & Roger at No.22 Musgrave Drive. If you go to picturesheffield.com you can feed in your street, school etc, marvelous old pictures of all over Sheffield. Make an ex-pat like you drool. Probably a picture of bullerboY with his umbrella outside Tugby,s or Ferns Fish & Chip shop.

I still remember the N0.63 to town coming around the corner of Longley Ave & Shirecliffe Road in the snow, it couldn't stop as it would loose its traction so you had to run after it! And more than once, had to get off and walk up Cookswood road because it couldn't make it. See ya Millsie

Yep Skippy, I lived at No. 13 & Roger at No.22 Musgrave Drive. If you go to picturesheffield.com you can feed in your street, school etc, marvelous old pictures of all over Sheffield. Make an ex-pat like you drool. Probably a picture of bullerboY with his umbrella outside Tugby,s or Ferns Fish & Chip shop.

I still remember the N0.63 to town coming around the corner of Longley Ave & Shirecliffe Road in the snow, it couldn't stop as it would loose its traction so you had to run after it! And more than once, had to get off and walk up Cookswood road because it couldn't make it. See ya Millsie

You cheeky sod ,we couldn't afford an umbrella.I remember all those skippy has mentioned.Mr and Mrs Tugby and Alex and Dorothy Quayle are buried in Swinton churchyard near Rotherham.I remember when Wilkox's had the shop with their son Douglas who looked like Charles Hawtry from the Carry On films.Ironic but I think Mr Fern was a German or so we thought maybe it was his haircut.I can see the 63 coming up L.A.W.and they were putting sacks under the back wheels.Remember how we used to jump of the backs of the buses when they were coming up to stop we thought we were really big and grown up.Can you remember the young lad who lived at the corner of L.A.W. and Shirecliffe Rd,he had Downs syndrome I think his name was Stuart.

I remember that bloke who lived on the corner Buller, he used to run around the wood with an axe at times, but he was quite harmless and a friendly kid when you got to know him, I remember him passing away at an early age.

I remember king wello chasing people with the sharp fence railings that could be lifted out of the fence which used to be where the community centre is now, and using them like spears, that's when he wasn't spending his time at one of the piggeries on the meadows.

I often look at different places on the google maps street view to see how places look nowadays, and I've seen the picturesheffield site Millsie, it does bring back some good memories, there's a view looking down Shirecliffe Road, and you can just see our back bedroom windows, I could see the coop from my bedroom window.