Interview at Royal Hallamshire

tbarlow - great tips i'll remember them!

Try and think of one or two questions for them when they've finished asking you. Not just the usual 'when will I hear the results'? Don't know much about NHS to be honest so can't help with suggestions but have a look at their website and see if it gives you any ideas.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Many interview panels now begin with the question .... 'First of all, can you begin by telling us something about yourself?'' ... have you ever tried to answer that without being prepared? So you need a memorable short list of attributes to fire off. Usually, at the end they ask if you want to ask them any questions. Have a couple of good ones ready and make one of them quite original or unusual as you will be remembered for asking the 'relevant' but unusual question. Good Luck.

When you say admin, is it for a specific department likes x-rays or is it reception based? How many people in the team, do they interact? There will more than likely be a need to work a computer.

I'm no I.T. buff but perhaps a question about the system they use and your experience with computers.

take a small jotter pad with you and ask if they won't mind you making notes yourself so that you can refer back to them after the interview... that way you might also be able to make some notes prior to the interview.

As someone said in a previous post look on their website, mention things like how many beds when at full capacity, how many outpatients they see a day, ie in a dept that you are going to work in or in the whole of the hospital, anything that is a bit different but relevant to the hospital....

Good luck and let us know how you go on..

As the title says I have an interview with the Royal Hallamshire soon for an admin job.

Do you know what sort of questions they will ask me? And what I am to expect?

Thanks

Hiya!

Which dept is it in? I have had a fair few interviews over the last 3 1/2yrs for admin jobs at the RHH and one at the childrens, and all havce gobe really well except one which I messed up badly. Obviously ont too ell or I'd have got the job but I ask for feedback and, as I have always been made to feel relaxed (except the one I hated, at Jessops), I knew I had done well, and they told me so. In fact the one at the childrens I had when I was 20wks pregnant said I should really keep going as I was really good.

In my experience, there are 3 people in a small boardroom, they introduce themselves, you tell them about you for a bit, they might give you a situation eg. if you have someone on the phone (patient) going off on one, a doctor asking you to fetch something urgently znd something else to do, then what order would you do them, what would you do etc? Also might ask about data protection- one question I got was if I happened to be dealing with a person I knew and handling their medical files etc., what would I do to make them feel comfortable? I can't remember the answer I gave as it was in 2003 I think but just give the common-sense answers and you'll be fine. Relax, be happy and try to answer everything. They might ask you stregnths and weaknesses too?

One other thing though, and I dunno if it is true in all cases but I spoke to someone recently who works there and he said he wouldn't bother applying anymore if he was me as they were offering lots of voluntary redundancy? I'd heard similar from somone who used to work there too.

Also, and this isn't meant to turn into a rant, and I dunno what previous NHS experience you have (I haven't), but I have been told on a few occasions 'you were good but.... someone with more experience in the NHS etc got the job'... This really p*sses me off cuz I know a girl who's only previous experience after school was working in Woolworths, well she got an admin job in the RHH cuz her mum worked there. And another girl got a job having no office experience whatsoever.

In spite of this, they might have totally hated me and not said so lol! So good luck!

Oh and sometimes they ask you to do a clerical test before or after interview. Mine was a piece of paper and asking to put various surnames in alphabetical order etc. Piece o p*ss.

As the title says I have an interview with the Royal Hallamshire soon for an admin job. Do you know what sort of questions they will ask me? And what I am to expect? Thanks

Don't try to second guess them. Every interview is different depending on the panel. Just go well prepared. Lots of links and tips on here. Good luck!

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/atwork/career/interview.mspx

"If we were short-staffed on the surgery side, would you have any objection to performing a heart transplant?"

love it!

Don't forget to set off week before if you're planning on going by car, take sandwiches, flask, fleeces, hiking boots, map, compass, etc

expect a question about confidentiality and data protection -as medical records deata is generally something people want to be kept confidential - also expect some what ifs ( the answer to many what ifs for junior staff is to discuss it with your immediate manager if there isn't an immediateaction to be taken)