Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Hi I lived there from 1955-75 on Delves Avenue I Remember Watkinsons the Craigs Floods (Me) Howards Kays Cousins Saxtons Across Road was Vaughns.

Only Burkes i remember was a policeman. My Brother was Bob Shirt and sisters were Wendy Shirt and Anita Flood she was married to Micheal Bulliment. I remember Susan Shaw she was A friend of my sister. Also remember Gary Fordham i went out with him for awhile he lived opposite a friend called Jane Eyre.

It was great how all the kids could just run about all day and just clock in for meals. Had Some great times there now live at Woodhouse not far away with my partner Ken Walton who used to live on Birley Spa Lane

Hi Guiness

I remember all the people you mention. Mrs Watkinson was a friend of my mum. they worked together as cleaners at Carter Lodge with Milly Birks and Mrs Darwent. Mrs Watkinson had two sons, Philip & Tony, both very tall. Tony was a very big guy. 6'8" and 18 stone. He once came to our house to get my dad (the Policeman) to protect him from his mother who was trying tp give him a good hiding for something. I never laughed so much in my life, she was only half his size. She dragged him back home, it was really funny. Wish I had got a movie camera.

Craigy was the coalman, I think Graham Shaw's dad was a fireman. I remember the saxtons's having a pet fox they used to walk it on a lead. And of course the cousins family and the infamous "Sam"

One thing we all did at the end of the summer was to fill the stream where it had eroded a big hole down near the bridge (to beighton) with straw. It was left in bales after the harvest. We would throw it in until it was about 6 feet deep and jump, using ariel acrobatics, into it from the lower branches of the big tree at the side of the bridge. Great memories of the simple life we had as kids in an uncomplicated world. I wouldnt have missed it for anything.

Edited by Lostrider

I don't remember Mr Feinberg teaching gardening, it was Mr (Colonel) Loy when I started there in 68.

I don't remember Mr Feinberg teaching gardening, it was Mr (Colonel) Loy when I started there in 68.

According to my husband you are right - Mr Feinberg taught English, Pete started Carter lodge in Sept 64

I agree, Col Loy taught us in 67/68. I can't remember what Feinberg did. Was it something to do with the Library? Didn't he marry the deputy head? Did you used to slide down the paths in your steel shod clogs? LOL

Craigy was the coalman,

And my old neighbour. Good bloke. Grew up next door to him, then spent many a night in the hoggy having beers with him.

And my old neighbour. Good bloke. Grew up next door to him, then spent many a night in the hoggy having beers with him.

And I used to serve him at the bar in the Hogs. He once brought a hammer in and started bashing it on the bar because no one would serve him.

And I used to serve him at the bar in the Hogs. He once brought a hammer in and started bashing it on the bar because no one would serve him.

You probably served me too then at some point! I'm the least handy bloke ever though. Don't even own a hammer. :)

The good old days when there was the card school in the corner next to the bar in the tap room, same faces every night almost.

When did you work at the Hogs?

1972/3, Jesus thats a long time ago.

I ought to add, thats when Steve & Jenny had it. I worked with Alan Hibberd.

Then Jack and Colleen Barber took over about 74 I worked there from 75 for a year