Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

The Rat !!! Mick Darwent told me I was his best mate. We went everywhere together, went to Skeggy on my motorbike and sidecar, went camping at Foxhouse, played football and cricket on Carter Lodge playing fields. We lived on the other side of the Staffords from about 1955 until about 1967. I won't say who I think you are but did you have a sister called Heather? If not, you must have cleared out before we arrived.

Mick Derwent lives next door to me now.

If I remember rightly that hut was run by the father of the guy who opened Elam's on Birley Spa Lane when those shops were built.

I remember the little kiosk because we used to buy small bottles of Tizer or Dandelion & Burdock after we had been playing i.e. (lighting fires/catapulting butterflies/catching grashoppers) in Bluebell Wood.

Tazz

hey, the little hut was run by percy rippon he had a brother who had the newsagent at the top of occupation lane. I worked for harry elam delivering papers before he opened the shop on birley spa lane. Iused to canvas for harry when the estate below the shops was being populated.it was fun because the bottom end was supposed to be percys area, harry told me go and get the paper orders half a crown [12 1/2p] for every order.

Mick Derwent lives next door to me now.

Thanks Alex, If you're still talking to him tell him Phil says Hi, hope he is travelling well, and his Mum and Dad. Dropped in to see them in '95 or '96, (can't remember exactly) they were OK.

Deedar, are you Simon?

In that case you will remember me. It was our house in Beighton. Ron complained after drinking the whole bottle in 2 gulps about 30 minutes apart, that the bottom half had been stronger than the top half. Then proceeded to occupy the domnstairs loo till morning. By a strange quirk of fate, having only seen Ron 3 times in the past 20 years, he was at my house in Woodhouse today. Small world.

Deedar, are you Simon?

In that case you will remember me. It was our house in Beighton. Ron complained after drinking the whole bottle in 2 gulps about 30 minutes apart, that the bottom half had been stronger than the top half. Then proceeded to occupy the domnstairs loo till morning. By a strange quirk of fate, having only seen Ron 3 times in the past 20 years, he was at my house in Woodhouse today. Small world.

You must be Ken! That was a brilliant party, I don't think I ever thanked you! Hope you're well mate and say hi to Ron next time you see him.

To Le Baron - Jean Cottam (as was) here.

I remember you and some of the names you have mentioned i.e. John Cockayne, David Payne, Kev Butcher, Ian Burkinshaw, Neil Burgess.

There was also a lad called Constantine and I remember we were called Cotty, Cocky and Connie. I remember your Dad being the caretaker at Rainbow Forge and hanging around on the playgroud at the bottom of my garden. I lived at 45 Delves Road next door to the Glovers (daughter Bonita).

I moved to Hackenthorpe around 1964, during the last year at junior school and stayed to almost the end of the 1st year at Carter Lodge.

I loved it and thought we'd moved to the country after living at Walkley and I definitely didn't want to move when we left to go to Norfolk Park.

I also remember, Maureen Teesdale (sure I saw her working in Asda years ago), Janice Foulstone, Jenny Crapper (think she worked at Freemans for a while when I was there), Wendy Blackwell and Vivienne Atkinson. I have fond memories of playing in the corn fields, crossing the sewage to Beighton and scrumping apples in the orchard next to Bluebell Woods. Memories!

I also have a message for Lizzie dripping. I married a guy called Dave Deakin who worked at Keetons with Ernest Oxley as electricians. He remembers your husband and Ken & Fred though Dave was one of the younger lads there and he left before they embarked on their mamouth strike. We used to go on the GKN trips to Wales (don't know if you ever did) and remembers Stan Rhodes, Stan Bricklebank, Pete Young, Billy Waller, Sam Ford (our Brother in Law).

Hi all, we used to live at 28 carrforge close in 1958, our name was Beatson, there were 5 girls. We lived next door to the Elliotts and Westons, but the Leakes and Kings lived nearby. My sisters all went to Rainbow Forge and Carterlodge, i went to Birley Spa then later to Birley Junior. I remember great times at hackenthorpe and my sisters have fond memories. One of my sisters married a Beighton lad, "Wag", real name Charlie Storey, and i love them talking about old times, some of the stories they come out with. Can anyone remember us?

Hi all, we used to live at 28 carrforge close in 1958, our name was Beatson, there were 5 girls. We lived next door to the Elliotts and Westons, but the Leakes and Kings lived nearby. My sisters all went to Rainbow Forge and Carterlodge, i went to Birley Spa then later to Birley Junior. I remember great times at hackenthorpe and my sisters have fond memories. One of my sisters married a Beighton lad, "Wag", real name Charlie Storey, and i love them talking about old times, some of the stories they come out with. Can anyone remember us?

Hi, sorry I cant visualise you but I remember the name. I also remember the Leakes, Robin was in my class as was Jimmy? Weston.

See if you or your sisters can recall anyone on here.

Carter Lodge 1968

Hi, sorry I cant visualise you but I remember the name. I also remember the Leakes, Robin was in my class as was Jimmy? Weston.

See if you or your sisters can recall anyone on here.

Carter Lodge 1968

That's Gary Fordham in the middle, and David Payne (RIP) at the front. I remember David's Dad, a real colourful local character.

Hi lostrider, the photo's with the kids on - on the island, who took these as i am on it, ha ha. my sister linda remembers you and asks if you had a grandma who lived on woodhouse crescent?

Hi lostrider, the photo's with the kids on - on the island, who took these as i am on it, ha ha. my sister linda remembers you and asks if you had a grandma who lived on woodhouse crescent?

I am intrigued, I thought you said you were a beatson. There is no one called Beatson on the photo of the Kids on the Island. But yes my gran did live on Woodhouse Crescent, Beighton. When this was taken I think she may have been living with us on Delves Avenue by then. My mum took the photo with my camera I think.