Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

I grew up on Birley and Hackenthorpe, all my family live on Hackenthorpe now but I've moved to Barnsley. I used to be the Assistant Manager for GT News on Hackenthorpe shops back in 2001 when I was 18.

Does anyone remember the Elams who ran the newspaper shop?

Does anyone remember the Elams who ran the newspaper shop?

hi katerina, I remember harry elam. I met him when he used to deliver papers out of the back of his car before he had the " garden shed" by the bus stop. I delivered and canvassed for him for about 5 years. when I started doing deliveries I was under age to do sundays but I did them anyway. harry always told me " if you see the bobby [p.c disney] drop the papers and leg it!! dont let him catch you"

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 15:29 ----------

buddysbuddy, you have a great memory, yes I am sure it was Mr Wearham who ran it, and Thurs would have been one of the days, was the other night Monday? I played football for the YC and table tennis, they were good nights at the club. Can you remember any names from that time?

O.K youve got me thinking now. I think it was george wearham[ although everybody called him mr. in those days. I knew his wife who was called grace- she worked at the post office at garlick and russells shop on spa view road. I worked in the butchers. how about john loftus, ronnie craven, fred chapman,ann southern carol ?? more may come to mind.

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 15:33 ----------

buddysbuddy, you have a great memory, yes I am sure it was Mr Wearham who ran it, and Thurs would have been one of the days, was the other night Monday? I played football for the YC and table tennis, they were good nights at the club. Can you remember any names from that time?

I just remembered that I caused a bit of a kerfuffle when I walked in one night in march 1958 and announced " I went to the city hall the other night and met buddy holly and the crickets and look I got autographs"

What a surprize buddysbuddy, I also delivered papers for Harry Elam, I must have started after you because he did have the shed when I started. I remember I used a small, home made barrow for the papers on Sunday's far to many to carry in a bag. I did also weekday mornings, getting the round done before walking from Hackenthorpe up to Birley Secondary School. Another coicidence was that I worked for Garlick & Russells on Saturday's it was Barry Garlick that employed me, cleaning, stocking shelves, washing his car etc. good days and I was glad of the money.

What a surprize buddysbuddy, I also delivered papers for Harry Elam, I must have started after you because he did have the shed when I started. I remember I used a small, home made barrow for the papers on Sunday's far to many to carry in a bag. I did also weekday mornings, getting the round done before walking from Hackenthorpe up to Birley Secondary School. Another coicidence was that I worked for Garlick & Russells on Saturday's it was Barry Garlick that employed me, cleaning, stocking shelves, washing his car etc. good days and I was glad of the money.

hi greg, the coincidences just keep coming. as you did so did I, morning delivery and then harry would run me up to--- birley secondary school!! I left G&R not long after barry came out of the forces and into the business. at that time barry was married to the daughter of the folks who had the new inn near the school. I think their name was helliwell. I left harry in 1956 to start work proper at G&R though I had been going in after school and on saturdays.

Buddysbuddy, you must have been a couple of years ahead of me I left Birley in the summer of 1959 at 16, took an apprenticeship at Firth Browns, thanks again for the memories of working for Harry & G&R.

Hello Cotty, Pegasus, Griffin, phoenix, and Unicorn. Good God, don't know where i dragged those up from, but they were the House names at Carter Lodge, i also used to be in Pegasus, the best house to be in!! Anyone on here that was at same school from '64 to '67 ?

Memarie Laine

Hi Memarie - now you've mentioned Griffin I'm not sure if I was in that house. Bet Zakes would know lol Wonder if I just WANTED to be in Pegasus or was???

Was in Hackenthorpe Village at the lovely little church there yesterday, sadly, it was for the funeral service for a very dear Aunt. So many thoughts of childhood, playing in that same cemetary, but we never once stood on any of the graves. Later there wad a buffet at the Hogs Head, again many memories of the area. Going to knock on the little wooden door where you could buy sweets, cigs, pop etc, without having to go inside, not that we could in those days anyway!!

hi katerina, I remember harry elam.

---------- Post added 05-10-2013 at 15:29 ----------

O.K youve got me thinking now. I think it was george wearham[ although everybody called him mr. in those days.

wasn't Harry Elam's deputy called Miles Cooper?

As far as George was concerned I'm sure his surname was spelt Wareham. Sorry to be picky.:)

---------- Post added 19-11-2013 at 17:00 ----------

Was in Hackenthorpe Village at the lovely little church there yesterday, sadly, it was for the funeral service for a very dear Aunt. So many thoughts of childhood, playing in that same cemetary, but we never once stood on any of the graves. Later there wad a buffet at the Hogs Head, again many memories of the area. Going to knock on the little wooden door where you could buy sweets, cigs, pop etc, without having to go inside, not that we could in those days anyway!!

I was at that church yard last month, visiting my mum and dad's grave. I was impressed with how tidy it looks these days.

I can remember it 24 years ago when it was badly overgrown, and spending a very wet weekend with my sisters and brother-in-law and a friend of the family tidying it up. We hired a petrol strimmer and petrol lawn mower and cut down all the waist high grass. I do remember strimming a hedgehog in half, sadly.:( Thankfully, having done the whole graveyard the then vicar took on board keeping it tidy, even persuading the church wardens to invest in a petrol mower to replace their weedy electric one.

We also planted bushes down the side of the church and provided a bench (re-painted).

I'm not a church-goer but after all this time it's good to see that people continue to keep it tidy and that the grave yard is quite a pleasant place to visit.

Edited by Tazz070299

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 35.

1. At Birley Spa Junior School was a girl called Susan Burgin in my class. I have it fixed in my mind that she lived down Delves. From Delves to Birley Spa is a long way for a junior to travel to each day. I wonder why she didn’t go to Rainbow Forge or’t Village School. Perhaps she didn’t live at Delves afterall. Susan always looked at me with deep understanding in her eyes and that used to make me feel reight good. She was blonde of hair, blue of eyes and always had a ready smile for me. Why oh why didn’t I take the chance all those years ago, to bury my face in her hair, and take deep breaths through my nostrils? Probably because I was yitten. NO doubt some bammy jastard married her years later.

2. I mentioned in Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 30, that I went to the Birthday Party of Kay Osborne at 87 Occupation Lane. I stated that I couldn’t remember what the present was that I took her. Well, after much cogitating I have remembered what it was. I can see you waiting with bated breath, so I will tell you…but not just yet.

Kay was one of those cheerful types and was very popular at Birley Spa Junior School. I was a fool for those delightful freckles that spanned her cute nose, and I would have loved to have spent much time counting them whilst reclining upon that lush, springy grass atween the yellow flowered gorse bushes behind the school. An alternative venue would have been the wild fields on the left going up Occupation Lane. These fields had masses of florid flowers and shrubby shrubs. Included were daisys, Lion’s tooth, Camomile, Buttercups, spleenwort, Heather, Thisltes and loads of Poppys. It was a most magical colourful mosaic, and the aroma of the scented plants was pure bliss. The bees and other insects were so busy among the cloven clover. Skylarks, Lapwings, Plovers and many other birds lived there too. Paradise was lost circa 1966 when the bulldozers moved in and Yorkshire’s Sheffield Corporation started to build houses again…in Derbyshire! Damned trunts!

Back to the present past, and back to the present passed to Kay, for her Birthday. Me Mum had wrapped the gift with gift paper making it look prim, proper and pretty. I will never forget the bright eyes wide smile Kay gave to me as she took the present and card from my trembling hands. I was so glad that she didn’t open it until later, because I didn’t want to see the scowl and disappointment upon her lovely face. The present was a small flat box with a see through lid. Within were three ladies lace edged handkerchiefs each with a different embroidered flower in a corner. Kay deserved much more than this. I came from a poor family. Pass the tissues please…

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 36.

With the exception of Cotty, NOBODY is to read the first part of this part 36.

1. Dearest Jean,

The more I cast my mind back to those heady days of the early 60’s, I seem to remember more and more. You were a slim girl, making it into love at first slight, and you had a smile like a sunburst. Your movement was poetry in motion, but not in a blank versed way. Your skin looked as soft as the wings of a butterfly during the warm scented months of summer. Your vibrant body was a wonder to behold, which was something I unfortunately never got around to doing. You stood with your head so proudly high, and you was so enticingly alluring, you created turmoil in the young masculine chests of the boys who knew of your exciting existence. You had the commanding power to make us all stand to attention, to look like tin soldiers undaunted on parade. We breathed heavily as we eyed you like stiff eared Jack rabbits in search of a cosy settle. All we could have willingly offered to you in return was total devotion, and our carrots of varying sizes. If it were possible for dreams to have come true, I would have dreamnt for you to have visited me at my deep warm burrow, or the den I had so painstakingly built over the rainbow in the sunkissed golden cornfields behind Carr Forge Road, where we would have happily lived for forever and a day.

Tenderly Yours. Zakes XXX. Don’t show this to your hubby or he will take your computer away.

2. Sally Hill, which was the steep slope that went from the Shirebrook river up to Wood’uss (Woodhouse) was also known as Sally’s and also Sally Clark€s.

3. I sometimes remember names, but can’t put faces or places to them:-

Brocklehurst

Renwick (Wayne?)

Hanrahan

Scaiff

Who are they?

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 01:56 ----------

was also known as Sally’s and also Sally Clark(e)s.

---------- Post added 22-12-2013 at 00:48 ----------

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 37.

Hackenthorpe Birds, early 60’s.

Have you got a spoon bill? Hang on Zakes, I’m eating me shredded wheat ‘ear.

1. Lower down past the spa bath, there was a mass of fields with wild grasses and plants. This place was a haven for insects, birds and mammals. Dyke Vale Road came to a dead end in those days, and there wasn’t any sign of a Mosborough Parkway either. In this area (later Scowerdons Estate) there was a few derelict buildings (possibly an old farm) without roofs, and most of the whitewashed walls had collapsed. This is where I got a Phoenicurus Phoenicurus egg for my collection.

2. Going slightly back toward the Julius Caesar swimming baths was an electric sub station. Inside the compound in some stiff sparse reedy looking grass nested an Alectoris Rufa. We (Robert Fowler, Philip Fuller and me) didn’t risk climbing over the railings because we could hear the buzzing and humming from the electric machinery. Eeerie.

3. On Brook Lane on the right going down were dense sturdy hedgerows. In these hedgerows were a variety of shrubs and trees including Crataegus oxyacantha, viscum album and ilex aquifolium. One day I came across the nest of a Turdus Viscivorus and the mother was at home. She remained seated and bravely stuck her neck out and violently hissed at me. I skedaddled right sharpish.

4. One day I was given two beautiful shiny wooden show cases with a glass window in the lid of each one. Inside the cases were rows of many seabird eggs resting on wood shavings (not sawdust). The cases were approx.. 1 foot by 1 foot six with slanting lids. I can’t for the life of me remember who gave them to me, or what eventually happened to them.

Some of the eggs:- Rissa Tridactyla

Larus Argentatus

Fratercula Arctica

Phalacrocorax Carbo

Larus Ribibundus.

5. A fair amount of Hackenthorpians went to Thornbridge School where you learned Latin, so you smart butts should know the words above. There has always been a nest of Catholics on the estate, and this contingent should also know the Latin words. NO excuses.

I’ll start the ball rolling:-

Spoonbill = Platalea Leucorodia

Wheatear = Oenanthe Oenanthe.

---------- Post added 23-12-2013 at 08:06 ----------

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 39.

Nah then Downsunder,

Thankyou for your attempted olive branch post. Post 574. Here is an attempted White Dove post.

1. You mentioned your school cap ended upon a roof. Good news, you can still retrieve it, because it can be seen in the guttering of nr. 18 Thornbitch Avenue. You’ll need a big stick or a long ladder.

2. You mentioned you had trouble with us lads from Birley School. You could have avoided this if you would have been on the ball. You could have cycled on your tricycle taking a different route. Birley Spa Lane, Delves Road, Church Lane, Beighton Road, Sheffield Road (bypassing Occupation Lane, where BYpassblade later lived), then Birley Lane entering school over the playing fields. Alternatively, you could of asked one of your Hackenthorpe eleet friends to take you by car.

3. You mentioned the coke ovens where you worked. I don’t know much about that because I drank Tizer and I didn’t take drugs either.

4. You mentioned you had a crush on your French teacher. I hope he never found out or you would have gotten the whack. Hopefully 6 of the best!

5. You mentioned you did poetry. I’m not a-verse to a bit of prose missen.

6. You mentioned you flunked (Americanism, ugh) at Latin. Didn’t you smart sods know Latin is a dead language?

7. You mentioned you played violin. My only violin connections are:-

(a) When I occasionally went over to Strad-broke.

(b) I once got a BOW tie for Whitsun.

© Fiddling about with mankable lasses on the Hackenthorpe Estate.

(d) I once intervied Don Sugarcane Harris whilst posing as a journalist in Germany.

(e) Seeing Vanessa Mae performing, which did lead to the occasional nocturnal emission.

You mentioned you weren’t a toff, but inferred your brother was. Nice to know you were down to my level then. Lol.

What’s all this got to do with Hackenthorpe? We are both from theeea, which mecks us bruvvas. That’s what!

I hope you are enjoying your life in Van Diemen’s land, making you into a Vandemonian, but watch out for the Bunyip, and also the bone pointing Kurdaitcha man who is an original Ab-original.

Your possible pal, Zakes.

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 36.

With the exception of Cotty, NOBODY is to read the first part of this part 36.

1. Dearest Jean,

The more I cast my mind back to those heady days of the early 60’s, I seem to remember more and more. You were a slim girl, making it into love at first slight, and you had a smile like a sunburst. Your movement was poetry in motion, but not in a blank versed way. Your skin looked as soft as the wings of a butterfly during the warm scented months of summer. Your vibrant body was a wonder to behold, which was something I unfortunately never got around to doing. You stood with your head so proudly high, and you was so enticingly alluring, you created turmoil in the young masculine chests of the boys who knew of your exciting existence. You had the commanding power to make us all stand to attention, to look like tin soldiers undaunted on parade. We breathed heavily as we eyed you like stiff eared Jack rabbits in search of a cosy settle. All we could have willingly offered to you in return was total devotion, and our carrots of varying sizes. If it were possible for dreams to have come true, I would have dreamnt for you to have visited me at my deep warm burrow, or the den I had so painstakingly built over the rainbow in the sunkissed golden cornfields behind Carr Forge Road, where we would have happily lived for forever and a day.

Tenderly Yours. Zakes XXX. Don’t show this to your hubby or he will take your computer away.

2. Sally Hill, which was the steep slope that went from the Shirebrook river up to Wood’uss (Woodhouse) was also known as Sally’s and also Sally Clark€s.

3. I sometimes remember names, but can’t put faces or places to them:-

Brocklehurst

Renwick (Wayne?)

Hanrahan

Scaiff

Who are they?

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 01:56 ----------

was also known as Sally’s and also Sally Clark(e)s.

---------- Post added 22-12-2013 at 00:48 ----------

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 37.

Hackenthorpe Birds, early 60’s.

Have you got a spoon bill? Hang on Zakes, I’m eating me shredded wheat ‘ear.

1. Lower down past the spa bath, there was a mass of fields with wild grasses and plants. This place was a haven for insects, birds and mammals. Dyke Vale Road came to a dead end in those days, and there wasn’t any sign of a Mosborough Parkway either. In this area (later Scowerdons Estate) there was a few derelict buildings (possibly an old farm) without roofs, and most of the whitewashed walls had collapsed. This is where I got a Phoenicurus Phoenicurus egg for my collection.

2. Going slightly back toward the Julius Caesar swimming baths was an electric sub station. Inside the compound in some stiff sparse reedy looking grass nested an Alectoris Rufa. We (Robert Fowler, Philip Fuller and me) didn’t risk climbing over the railings because we could hear the buzzing and humming from the electric machinery. Eeerie.

3. On Brook Lane on the right going down were dense sturdy hedgerows. In these hedgerows were a variety of shrubs and trees including Crataegus oxyacantha, viscum album and ilex aquifolium. One day I came across the nest of a Turdus Viscivorus and the mother was at home. She remained seated and bravely stuck her neck out and violently hissed at me. I skedaddled right sharpish.

4. One day I was given two beautiful shiny wooden show cases with a glass window in the lid of each one. Inside the cases were rows of many seabird eggs resting on wood shavings (not sawdust). The cases were approx.. 1 foot by 1 foot six with slanting lids. I can’t for the life of me remember who gave them to me, or what eventually happened to them.

Larus Argentatus

Fratercula Arctica

Phalacrocorax Carbo

Larus Ribibundus.

5. A fair amount of Hackenthorpians went to Thornbridge School where you learned Latin, so you smart butts should know the words above. There has always been a nest of Catholics on the estate, and this contingent should also know the Latin words. NO excuses.

Nah then Downsunder,

Thankyou for your attempted olive branch post. Post 574. Here is an attempted White Dove post.

1. You mentioned your school cap ended upon a roof. Good news, you can still retrieve it, because it can be seen in the guttering of nr. 18 Thornbitch Avenue. You’ll need a big stick or a long ladder.

2. You mentioned you had trouble with us lads from Birley School. You could have avoided this if you would have been on the ball. You could have cycled on your tricycle taking a different route. Birley Spa Lane, Delves Road, Church Lane, Beighton Road, Sheffield Road (bypassing Occupation Lane, where BYpassblade later lived), then Birley Lane entering school over the playing fields. Alternatively, you could of asked one of your Hackenthorpe eleet friends to take you by car.

3. You mentioned the coke ovens where you worked. I don’t know much about that because I drank Tizer and I didn’t take drugs either.

4. You mentioned you had a crush on your French teacher. I hope he never found out or you would have gotten the whack. Hopefully 6 of the best!

6. You mentioned you flunked (Americanism, ugh) at Latin. Didn’t you smart sods know Latin is a dead language?

(d) I once intervied Don Sugarcane Harris whilst posing as a journalist in Germany.

(e) Seeing Vanessa Mae performing, which did lead to the occasional nocturnal emission.

You mentioned you weren’t a toff, but inferred your brother was. Nice to know you were down to my level then. Lol.

What’s all this got to do with Hackenthorpe? We are both from theeea, which mecks us bruvvas. That’s what!

I hope you are enjoying your life in Van Diemen’s land, making you into a Vandemonian, but watch out for the Bunyip, and also the bone pointing Kurdaitcha man who is an original Ab-original.

OMG Zakes. If only I had known of your devotion I would happily have ventured into your den to share in your fantasy world. Our lives could have been so different and perhaps entwined forever. I certainly never saw the beauty you saw when I looked into the mirror and I was totally unaware of any effect I was having on the bunny population. C'est la vie. Life is full of if onlys. Have a wonderful Christmas - you've made mine a lot happier xx

---------- Post added 24-12-2013 at 22:18 ----------

:)

---------- Post added 24-12-2013 at 22:23 ----------

I wanted to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas but also had to mention how sad I am that the wonderful memories of Hackenthorpe are now tainted by the brutal murder of Simon Holdsworth. My heart goes out to his family and friends. A tragic waste of a young life. I hope whoever did this is caught soon. COTTY

Edited by COTTY

Larus Argentatus

Fratercula Arctica

Phalacrocorax Carbo

Larus Ribibundus.

Nah then Downsunder,

Dear possible pal Zakesy,

Thank you for your Columbina passerina post, even though I flunked Latin (as opposed to flunked 'at' Latin - just thought I would point out that grammatical error, apologies for the Americanism, I share your disgust) I still remember some of the things I learned so, just off the top of my head:-

Rissa Trydactyla - Black-legged Kittiwake

Larus Argentatus - Herring gull

Larus Bibibundus - Black headed gull

Fratercula Arctica - Atlantic Puffin

Phalacrocorax Carbo - Cormorant

I would say your birds-egg benefactor might have lived on the coast, however, I believe such a collection would be highly illegal now and possession of same could incur confiscation and a large fine. My uncle inherited a similar collection and had to surrender them to some museum.

Thank you for your comments, very interesting, totally inoffensive and touched by the Zakes humour which we have all come to love.

Before I forget, can I throw in a Latin name for you?

Falco Subbuteo

That name brought back a few memories of the 60's for me. We had a subbuteo league going for a while on't Hackenthorpe, me and me brother, Foggy (Dennis Fogg), Mick Darwent, John Routen, Kenny Beaumont, Robert Tranter . . . . how come none of these names come up in your posts? Was there really a class divide on't Hackenthorpe? Hackenthorpians who went to Thornbridge and the peasants? I hope not, after all, we are both from theeea which mecks us bruvvas.

Yes, I'm enjoying life in Van Diemens Land, it's not like the rest of Auz, it is greener, cooler, slower. Like the Sheffield I left back in 1973.

Long life and happiness to you Zakes, my possible pal.