Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Hi, kenny page deffo joined forces and lives in hereford, his sister heather did not join up and lives in sheffield. Mrs page still alive and kicking.

Wasn't it Hilary?

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 26.

1. I vaguely remember a Cartwright family on Birley Spa Lane with 2 children. One child was called Angela? And t’other was called Paul. I think I must have remembered this from something my eldest brother J said in the 60’s. The Cartwright’s lived I think somewhere opposite to where some houses stood back on the right hand side going down, not far from Rainbow Drive. Was that area called the Ponderosa? Just a thought.

2. I think the big slag heap down the fields behind Rainbow Avenue was called Birley Easy Pit?

3. Can anybody remember a lad who lived on Spa View (?) who had a wooden false arm? The hand had plastic fingers but he could bend his arm at the elbow Woodentop puppet style. This was early sixties and he would now be 58ish. No jokes please about his mother being a cleaner called Mrs Scrubbit! The lad went to Birley Spa Juniors.

4. Stephen Coulson was in my class at Birley Spa Juniors. He lived across the road from me at 2, Carter Lodge Rise (his address) and he had an elder sister called Christine. Unfortunately Stephen passed the 11 plus exam and went to Thornbridge School, which then denied him the privilege of ever being my pal of the day again.

5. Also in my class at Birley Spa Juniors was a lad called Tony Wharram who lived at 92(?) Carr Forge Road. Tony and me had some reight laughs along the way, but he and Stephen Coulson were useless at scrimping even though I had tried my very best to train them up properly! Tony’s big brother David who sometimes knocked about with my eldest brother J went to Thornbridge too.

6. Peter Newton from Rainbow Avenue went to Rainbow Forge Juniors, also went to Thornbridge. He had an elder sister called Margaret. Lived next door to the Littlewoods’s.

7. Downsunder, who has posted on here several times also wore the privet green blazer of Thornbridge School. I never met him but I wish I had because he seems to be a very reasonable person who has written a couple of heart touching posts on other threads. He now lives in Oz, but had lived on Birley Spa Lane.

8. Know these names frumt 60’s?

Keith Firminger – Carr Forge Road

Stuart Sunderland – Carter Lodge Rise

Geoff Gudgeon – Carter Lodge Rise

Ken (Hector) Gudgeon – Carter Lodge Rise

Mr Zakes.

The boy with the prosthetic arm was I believe Gary Bolam of Spa View Place.

Regards

Tom Gray

anna did you know the dodd family on jermyn in the 1970s

no unable to help

Edited by diggerdigger

7. Downsunder, who has posted on here several times also wore the privet green blazer of Thornbridge School. I never met him but I wish I had because he seems to be a very reasonable person who has written a couple of heart touching posts on other threads. He now lives in Oz, but had lived on Birley Spa Lane.

Hi Zakes,

Thanks for your kind words, you certainly have an amazing memory. I wish I had met you too but not when I was at Thornbridge, you and Barnsey and Sharpey and Fewksey were probably the kids who chucked my cap on someone's roof, tipped all my books out in the road and tried to knock me off my pushbike. Thornbridge to Hackenthorpe was a battlefield back then.

OK, I went to Thornbridge, so did my brother Ian, but I wasn't a toff, I worked at the coke ovens, played football for Handsworth Social and Brinsworth WMC and rode old motorbikes just like every other kid. I flunked Latin, had a crush on the French teacher, wrote poetry and learned the violin (well, maybe I was a bit of a toff)

Now I'm old and grey and live a long way from home but I still have my memories, so keep 'em coming Zakes, even though you didn't know many of Hackenthorpe's elite, I still pick up a name here and there which rings a bell.:)

Edited by Downsunder

hi i used to know a tony piggot he had a brother and sister lived at the back of the hogshead pub

---------- Post added 01-04-2013 at 15:02 ----------

Did your grandad used to run the local Woodcraft at Rainbow Forge school, and move from Sheffield (or Hackenthorpe) in the late '60's?

Tazz

are you related to tony piggott

anyone remember jean hancock with the false legs, lived on jermyn close

New facebook page for Old Hackenthorpe memories & old photos 160 + members chatting away with old friends. its called - Old Hackenthorpe

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 12:16 ----------

New facebook page for Old Hackenthorpe memories & old photos 160 + members chatting away with old friends. its called - Old Hackenthorpe

http://www.facebook.com/groups/Hackenthorpe/

Hi Zakes, The Cartwrights did live on Birley Spa Lane, There were three children, Cheryl, Angela and Paul. (My first love). The family were lovely.

OOps, probably too much info there, lol!!!!

---------- Post added 02-04-2013 at 16:11 ----------

hi i used to know a tony piggot he had a brother and sister lived at the back of the hogshead pub

---------- Post added 01-04-2013 at 15:02 ----------

are you related to tony piggott

Tony is the youngest of four brothers and three sisters.

Edited by memari laine
addition

hi, great thread, just found via google that this one is 9 years running and 29 pages.

Have a look here if you're on facebook, apologies if already aware.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/Hackenthorpe/

oops just spotted name check 2 posts up, teach me to read thread first!

in response to KEVIN-H, i also grew up on carter lodge ave, and the people who lived in those first few houses were in fact

The DAYS, had a golden brown dog (shep i think)

No2 The CLARKES

No4 The MAYS

No6 The WILES

No8 The TIPPERS

No10 The KNOWLES

No12 The WILSONS

No14 The MARRIOTS

this is as of approx 1989

---------- Post added 16-04-2013 at 12:25 ----------

Anybody remember what the top shops were in the mid 80's

I can remember a few

The Bookies

Liptons supermarket

Home Decor

Ashe & Nephew (beer off)

The Shoe shop(changed to odds&sods shop)

Fashion Focus (dodgy fashion shop)

Lucy's Wools

FineFair foods

The Chippy

Arthur Fox Fruit&veg

Trevors Hairstylist

GT News

Chemist

The Bakery

The CO-OP

[/color]Anybody remember what the top shops were in the mid 80's

I can remember a few

The Bookies

Liptons supermarket (Used to be Gallons and before that Gowers & Burgins)

Home Decor

Ashe & Nephew (beer off)

The Shoe shop(changed to odds&sods shop)

Fashion Focus (dodgy fashion shop)

Lucy's Wools

FineFair foods

The Chippy

Arthur Fox Fruit&veg

Trevors Hairstylist

GT News (Used to Elams)

Chemist (Used to be Potters)

The Bakery

The CO-OP

Howard used to have a shop on that row as well for a while before he moved back to his old shop nearer the village.