Claims that a police officer hit a female in Sheffield, caught on CCTV..?

What do you think of the incident?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the incident?

• I support the police officer
    • I don't support the police officer

I wonder what this womans family would have done to an individual caught smashing one of their cars up.

what are you implying anj?

Well equally you can't see her specific 'assault'! Sure you can see the officer's arm waving but what else..? As the girl stated herself she (was that off her face she) wasn't aware of any 'assault' from the police.. so it must have been terrible injuries inflicted upon her person, eh :rolleyes:

And as for your comment about officers being 'young men looking for confrontation' at chuck out time.. you have no idea of the braindead mentality of p*ssed up people at turf out time.. Idiots who are given a mouth that spouts rubbish and a brain that fools the body into thinking it is infallible

your clutching at straws now. he's admitted he punched her with all he had.

i'll ask again why was'nt she charged with assault.

the chief inspector tonight said on look leeds "there is more of the footage to see the public have only seen an edited snipet. i have seen it all" the reporter then asked him "so do you exonerate him from blame" to which he replied lets wait till after the investigation" surely if the full video exonerated him it would be best for the police to put it out and put an end to it all. no they need more time to get their story right me thinks. and as for brain dead pissheads the officer said in court he could'nt smell intoxicants on her.

No, no and yes to your questions. I've a lengthy career in psychiatry behind me, the last few years in a secure unit so I have a fair deal of experience in situations like the one in this video. Those officers failed to contain a woman who, although clearly agitated and distressed, was in no position to offer a major threat to their safety. There isn't any kind of officially sanctioned behaviour management strategy that I know where repeatedly punching a person is a legitimate option. It was an assault.

I totally agree with you, that police officer under no circumstances should have punched that girl 5 times.

She is a 19 year old girl who was allready on the floor and restrained, the only possible threat that she posed to those officers at the time of the assault was verbal.

I could easily be restrained on the floor by one grown man never mind three of them and If I was punched like that by a police officer (if I remember the incident or not) I too would be taking legal action against him.

As sure as night follows day, a lawyer crawls out of the woodwork to take action against the police. Well at least we all knew what was coming eh?

From the Guardian:

Ms Comer, who has epilepsy and remembers nothing of the incident outside Niche nightclub, is taking a civil action against the force. Her lawyers say it caused her a "great deal of distress".

$$ Kerching Kerching $$

I bet she will settle out of court because a full case would be too much like hard work.

Just to settle a little argument on here:

If you spit on someone, although you haven't physically touched them, the charge that is brought against you is assault.

So therefore you can assault someone without touching them

Actually, compensation is very rarely paid. Usually if the police are found to have acted inapproprately, disciplinary action against the officer(s) concerned is the result.

I bet she will settle out of court because a full case would be too much like hard work.

You know her personally Nesbit do you? She might want to see this man dealt with by the law for committing an assault, I know I would.

Meanwhile, PC Daniel Cofill aged 21 yrs lies in a vegetative state at his home, being cared for 24/7 by his family. This lad, a young officer, tried to deal with an incident whilst off duty in Bromley in July last year. For his trouble, he was knocked to the ground and kicked unconcious and probably will never regain any real measure of life and health. His attackers were sentenced to nine and five and a half years, which were both reduced on appeal, they will be out in five years - whilst Daniel will still have many , many years of dependant care and no quality of life.

At the same time, assaults on Police are being looked at as a potential fixed penalty fine with no court appearance.

Unless you were at the scene of the job on CCTV, you may have an opinion - and you are entitled to that. Please remember that the job of the Police is difficult, and they are victimised too - there may be far more to the CCTV job than any of you know.

Why did I mention Daniel here? Because officers like him need bearing in mind when anything like this takes place. Policing the streets is horrendously difficult and dangerous, and your officers are all aware of the threats to them and their health - and from there to their familys future.

No doubt, if there is blame to be put to anyone, the IPCC will do their best with the enquiry. If there was any major concern - the SYP would hardly come out and make the comments that they have.

I use to like the police until they took me in the back of their van saying they needed to take me to the station for a breath test (which was negative by the way) but in between time in the back of the van out of site of C.C.T.V they battered me similarly if not worse than what happened to 'Toni Comer' they also took my 12 week old baby away from me. I have plenty of evidence regarding my marks they left on my body. I NO LONGER TRUST THE POLICE, sos but you were wrong! and you know it!

I totally agree with you, that police officer under no circumstances should have punched that girl 5 times.

She is a 19 year old girl who was allready on the floor and restrained, the only possible threat that she posed to those officers at the time of the assault was verbal.

I could easily be restrained on the floor by one grown man never mind three of them and If I was punched like that by a police officer (if I remember the incident or not) I too would be taking legal action against him.

She wasn't restrained and she had hold of his goolies.

He punched her once on the arm to let make her let go - he then had to punch her 4 more times in order for her to let go.

If she was restrained on the floor then the police would have been wrong, but she was still trying to continue her assault on the officer, and IMO he is well within his rights to stop her assault in any way that he feels will be effective in stopping her. He has his own safety to consider.

As sure as night follows day, a lawyer crawls out of the woodwork to take action against the police. Well at least we all knew what was coming eh?

Tony, is there any evidence that this lawyer was ever "in the woodwork"? Whether you like it or not, everyone has the right to legal representation. This was the case with Brady and Hindley, the Wests, etc. I think sometimes they have a hard job. I think it is rarely as clear cut as the high profile cases I've just mentioned. Even when it is, however, legal representation is a right, and some lawyer has to do it.

You know her personally Nesbit do you? She might want to see this man dealt with by the law for committing an assault, I know I would.

My opinion is that she is after compensation. No I dont know her personally (thank god!) Do you know what happened first hand - no - but you have an opinion and I respect that.

your clutching at straws now

No, no I'm not - clutching at straws for what reason exactly? And what straws?

As for brain dead p*ssheads (your description) - I made reference to the scum that the police have to deal with at turf out time, in response to your statement over them being "..young men.. looking for confrontation". The fact that no alcohol was smelled about her person at the time doesn't account for all substances in her system.. Niche - if not all city centre clubs to some extent - being places where class A and B druguse is commonplace.