Neck and arm pain ?

has anyone suffered pains in their arms and fingers, i started with it today, my neck is aching but now and again i get shooting pains in my left arm and 2 of my fingers, im a beauty therapist and was massaging today and i felt something go round my left shoulder area , an hour later i got this awful shooting pain it comes and goes, dont know whether to ignore it or nip to the docs, i have had trouble with my neck before in the past, cervical spondoloysis dont know whether its related, it definately came on when i was massaging, can anyone shine a light on this for me, the pain is awful.

Which fingers was it affecting?

I would imagine that it's the neck problem creating pressure on the nerve that's causing your arm pain, but that could be something as simple as a trapped nerve from sleeping in an odd position, and creating pressure on the nerve either in your neck or in your shoulder.

its affecting my middle 2 fingers a bit tingly now,then it goes up my wrist, i felt a pain in my shoulder blade area when i sort of stretched to do massage movement,

I'm guessing that in your job you have to make lots of repetitive movements? Maybe stand in an unnatural posture for long periods? I've had similar pain and it's because of a repetitive strain in my left shoulder muscle. Because it's so close to my spine the pain can travel along my nerves to any point in my body.

I'd still go to the doctors to check it out though.

That's your radial nerve- if it's only one nerve supply then there's a good chance that it's a simple trapped nerve.

Of course, when I say simple, it still may take some physiotherapy or manipulation to remedy it, if it doesn't calm down of its own accord.

It's worth a trip to your GP, but they will probably recommend an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen, if you can take it, to reduce any swelling and help with the pain for a few days.

If you try that (along with hot and cold packs on the sore neck and shoulders and whatever gentle stretching you can do without pain) for a few days before you see your GP then at least they can't send you away to do them all, cos you'll have done them already.

Good luck.

I have the same. Pins and needles in my case affect my thumb, forefinger and middle finger (thumb not so much). Aching in my shoulder, sometimes sharp pains and trouble turning my head.

Mine is a trapped nerve in my neck. Been going to physio twice a week for about 4 months. Thought it had virtually gone, but has just flared up again (still not as bad as it has been previously).

Get to a physio, it eased the pain within a couple of sessions. (I had it for a month or so before seeing a Doctor and it was steadily getting worse).

I have the same. Pins and needles in my case affect my thumb, forefinger and middle finger (thumb not so much). Aching in my shoulder, sometimes sharp pains and trouble turning my head.

Mine is a trapped nerve in my neck. Been going to physio twice a week for about 4 months. Thought it had virtually gone, but has just flared up again (still not as bad as it has been previously).

Get to a physio, it eased the pain within a couple of sessions. (I had it for a month or so before seeing a Doctor and it was steadily getting worse).

i also have a trapped nerve in my neck and get the same mostly tingling fingers and cramp. sharp pains in shoulder occasionally or just cramped neck pain. i have had mine for years and still got it had physio about 6 years ago but it didnt help. even reading a newspaper i get cramp in my fingers.

started with mine must be in the middle 90s with just the tingling fingers and cramp and was told it was carpel tunnel syndrome until about 2001 when i was having a little prob with my neck and was told it was a trapped nerve between my neck and spine. had some excercises to do but they have not helped very much. winter is always the worst.

without examining the OP it's hard to comment

it could quite conceivably be a nerve problem particualrly if the altered sensation is confined to a specific dermatome or set of dermatomes

to the OP - any other symptoms? chest or back pain, dizziness, nausea etc...? - to stay current with the emphasis on the early signs of cardiac chest pain - of which arm / neck / jaw pain can be signs

given the history the OP spresents it;s likely to be muscol-skeletal or nerve related but every so often the hooves are that of a zebra and not a pony

I don't understand this at all - surely if there's something wrong with you you should see a doctor, not see if any strangers on the internet can advise you? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh or ars-ey but if I have a malady of some sort Sheffield Forum would not be my first port of call to remedy it!

ive been suffering with my back for a good couple of years,mainly my left side right from my neck to the shoulder blade which hurts now, down to the bottom of my back then legs, its a night mare, i did have physio a few years ago with cervical spondolosis and that did help perhaps i need to go back,im sure if it was a slipped disc i would know ?

If this is part of a long standing issue, then at very least your GP needs to know that it's flared up again and is causing problems.

Okay somebody explain this mystery to me. Three years ago I suffered an impacted collis fracture of my arm, very bloody painful (especially the manipulation to get it aligned)

All is well now, however yesterday I woke up and the wrist was in agony, felt like it did just after I had the pot removed. No idea why, no further injuries and I hadn't been over using it! :huh: