The Temp Agency Thread: Whinge & Moan Here

I walked in to several agencies recently, and was told:

a) we don't get many people as old, whoops, in your age bracket in here (I'm in my 30's)

b) fill these in (piles of forms) but no-one can see you for 9 days to discuss vacancies

c) we need a younger person as we can pay them less per hour

and finally

d) you seem really well qualified, but that might be a disadvantage, can you give us another CV with some of these left off, you may have more of a chance then

Guess who hasn't registered with any of these agencies then?

Still looking.

The strangest thing is you don't need qualifications as such to work in recruitment. The girl who basically told me I was too old, might have been old enough to drink legally in pubs, but might not have been...

Anyway, now filling out applications for online job agencies, but they seem to have problems with filters in search areas such as location for jobs, and I keep getting jobs for Basingstoke and Southampton, which is probably a bit of a stretch for a daily commute. Trying to laugh about it - but really frustrated!

Some good news about an agency - Janet @ Law Recruitment Agency answered my email same day, invited me in to do test etc next day and put me forward for a vacancy which I now have an interview for today. She called when she said she would and has been really great!

• 2 weeks later...

Call companies directly whether they advertising or not or pop into places on a regular basis, be proactive. Companies would much prefer this as it saves them a massive fee to an agency!!! Plus with a typical high street agency you are putting your application in the hands of someone who has probably registered 10 people + for the job and is only going to put people forward who have loads of experience to increase their chances of getting a placement. These days a degree doesn’t mean very much unfortunately (everyone has one), people look for experience

Recruitment Agencies are only okay really if you are looking for temp work: so administration, call centre, customer service, sales or if you want a job in recruitment. Also be aware that probably 5/6 agencies will probably all have the same position from the same company, as it maximises the companies chance to find staff. Read between the lines because agencies tend not to give out names of the company, if you do manage to find the name of the company before they submit your CV scrap the agency and apply direct.

That’s definitely right about recruitment consultants being sales people. Most are very pretentious as well. I used to be one and from knowing what I know I wouldn’t use them. Fortunately I am on the other side and when I get sales calls from an agency asking if I need any help recruiting, I politely tell them that’s what I am paid to do.

i hate them!!

im an actor and need to temp!

i have a degree and diploma and other qualifications.it's quite demeaning how they treat you.I went into Reed and they made me drive 15 miles in for a chat and then the stupid bimbo didn't bother coming down for the appointment..she told the reception girl with 19 inch nails to tell me 'she was in a meeting'.I was so angery.It wasted the little money i had on petrol.

Can we not approach companies directly for TEMP work..rather than going through the Witches of Tempwick?

• 1 year later...

After my solo job search being completely unhelpful...I was told that most work would be filled with agencies but it was worth checking out some other avenues (NHS and other admin work), I was told on two occasions by seperate people that I was unsuitable due to being "overqualified and underexperienced" for an admin position. Crazy, non?

Anyways, I've finally given in and this week i'm going to go down the temping route. My brother went to Premiere People and got a good job fairly quickly and they seemed to treat him well, but I've heard mixed reviews overall. So where exactly is the best place for admin/office work?

There are two sides to everything. I have worked for an agency as a temp and have worked in recruitment. As a consultant you are let down every single day by temps with a whole string of ridiculous excuses, that is if they have the courtesy to let you know they are not going in. After a while you become so disappointed with people that perhaps you dont take the time to fully consider peoples feelings, it is a vicious circle. We always try to be straight with people and if we cant help we dont invite you in to see us - we dont earn money by registering people! It just takes up our time.