The Temp Agency Thread: Whinge & Moan Here

i worked with manpower when i first moved over but i dont think they were too happy with me because i found a perm job with another agency. but its not really my fault as i walked in requesting perm work in the first place and they kept placing me for temp.

Dear All

GO TO THE AGENCY ON HIGH STREET

I have had almost 6 years experience of working with various agencies and I can very highly recommend 'The Agency' based on High Street. Entrance is just down side alley of Pizza Hut. They are very personal and they do listen to what your requirements are.

Furthermore, they do not have a high turnover of staff, unlike most agencies I have come accross (which tells you an awful lot about their working ethic and environment). They are a small but close knit team and have worked together for years.

Also, if a client rings them with a request for staff and they don't currently have anybody suitable on their books - they are honest and they tell their client that. This actually works in their favour (contrary to what some people may believe) because their client knows that when they do say yes, we have a suitable candidate, they know they are going to get somebody decent sent to them.

When I have been out on assignements for them and have chatted to the person who actually hired me, they usually speak very highly of them and their service and also the standard of candidates they are sent.

They have never sent me to any position I have not been suitable for - because they get it right at the start, by LISTENING!

What a great reply its as though you work for them.

Listen lets end this thread if you have got good work history,presentable,good references and really want work instead of putting obstacles in the way any descent agency will help you.

If you are not in a job WHY not do temp work, at least your working and its looks better on your cv that your willing. If I were out of work I would take any job offered.

JUST GET A JOB

maybe because i hate being a temp and i have excellent references? my only problem is im new to the country and the workings of how things are done here. hell if i didnt have to pack up and move country last year id still be in a job.

i will say ive been working with ranstad and they *knock on wood* have been great. chasing me up with interviews. not making me feel pressured into doing something i didnt want to do.

See another obstacle you prove my point. You have moved to another country you are looking for a job so just get on with it. These are the things that people who work in agencys have to put up with. I could not do there job.

How long are you going to look for THE RIGHT JOB people are temping in chicken factorys and hate it but do it out of pride.

if i dont have to work, im not. my partner is lucky enough to earn a decent income and can support me. if i was out on my own, id be temping. id much prefer to have a perm job straight out.

btw im not looking for the RIGHT job, just one that is what i asked for when going in or what they asked me for what i was looking for. why bother even asking those questions if they arent doing it?

i am getting on with it, but i refused to be treated like garbage just because they can do it. they shouldnt treat anyone like that. they make their salaries off the people coming to them, they should at least listen to and be considerate to those they are placing.

Kerri

If you have excellent references and good experience, relax ..... there shouldn't be a problem for you.

You just need to be clear and precise about what you do and don't want and about what you will and won't accept salary wise so that everyone is clear at the outset and this shows you have 'posture'.

It sounds as though you are a little tense about the situation (I know you are going through a frustrating time but this will come accross to people when they interview you). It also sounds as if you haven't yet found the right consultants to work with. You will know when you 'click' with the right one/s.

Try to adapt a more relaxed approach and sell yourself on your excellent references - many people can't provide those so thats in your favour straight away.

Temping has great advantages. You don't have to get involved in the office politics, no application forms to fill in (yeehah! - isn't it fantastic moving from job to job without having to do that??) After a while you notice how stressed out people are in their jobs (I mean as you are moving around). You get variation in temping and they say its the 'spice of life' so less chance of you getting bored and you don't need to take on board any one else's stress. Once people realise you are reliable, you get offered more jobs and get to choose which is great.

Temping gives you space to figure out what you really want to do and people do it for all kinds of reasons, not just because they can't find a permanent job (which seems to be what a lot of people think). Different establishments have their own slant of how they work things - you pick up lots of tips as you go along and have you noticed how you are getting better and quicker at adapting to 'being thrown in at the deep end'?

I think if you relax and enjoy it a little more, people will notice a change in your attitude and believe me, those job offers will come.. its just a matter of time. In the meantime, enjoy yourself a little more.

As for me, I get offered permanent positions quite often. I thank the person making the offer but politely decline saying that 'I don't do permanent'. I enjoy my freedom too much! :hihi:

kerri

I agree with you about temping I would hate to do it BUT I know a lot of people that have done it and then been taken on permenant.

So it might be worth giving it a try. At least you don't have to go back the next day if you don't like it.

Has anyone here ever used the agency at Hillsborough called Vocation, Vocation, Vocation? What are they like? I tried to access their website but you need a password or something?

I will try not to rant as temping has made me very cynical.

I just can't agree with some of the things you said Discovery, in my experience as a temp, you are treated as a second class citizen, have to prove at every placement that you are not a numpty, you have no benefits, no perks and crappy holiday allowance. I don't know a single person who temps because they want to, they are all struggling to break into one area or another, and temping just makes you procrastinate and I don't think people take it seriously on your CV despite the obvious adaptability and varied experience it shows.

With holiday in mind can someone tell me if this is legal:

An agency which provides temp staff with 20 days holiday INCLUDING bank holidays (so really 12 days holiday) per year. I understand that this is perfectly legal so far....(although rubbish)

But holiday is accrued on a weekly basis at 0.385 of a day per week (i.e. 20 days divided by 52 weeks). However the holiday accrued in any one week only counts by the wednesday of the following week. Therefore on the very last week of the holiday year, you accrue your 0.385 of a day and it doesn't clear until the next wednesday, which is in the next holiday year and you cannot carry it over therefore it gets wiped out.

So in effect your not getting 20 days at all.

Does anyone know of an agency which provides more than the bare legal minimum holiday allowance of 20 days including bank holidays?

I have just found a perm job through Hayes, & I found them fantastic, especially Claire. They listened to exactly what I wanted to do & only suggested jobs that fitted that.

I think its about attitude Sidewinder. I have never been treated as a second class citizen, in fact I would say the reverse - I have always been very well looked after. But then I have never given a second class service (I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else on this thread has done so either).

I have never had the attitude 'oh well, I'm only temporary so I can just do a half baked job'. I suppose I'm getting out of it what I'm putting in.

Re the perks - it all depends what you want in your life. For me, being able to pick and choose where and with whom I work IS a perk and being able to take more than 4 weeks annual leave if I wish to IS another perk and never having to get involved in the office politics IS another enormous perk. So in that respect I'm a happy bunny. :)

The ironic point is the more you temp, the more people you are coming into contact with and the more chance you have of being offered a permanent position. Its usually the agency's client that offers you, rather than the agency itself!

Re the holiday pay - I have never looked into it to the extent that you have. Perhaps that is one of the downsides of temping. (There are always pros and cons in anything). I have temped for the experience and freedom so have not tended to focus on those things so much.