Sign in to follow this  

Good place to go jogging

I live in Sheffield city centre and was wondering does anyone know where is a good place to go jogging (not far from the centre). Is there a park nearby that's popular with joggers or something like that?

I'd be interested in some good suggestions, as I'm running out of ideas of where to train.

Endcliffe Park is excellent, and if you run up across to Whitely Woods you can keep going as far as the Peak District. Excellent trail run.

For stiffer runs, I rather like Graves Park. It was where I used to have to do evil school cross country runs, where I was always the fat kid puffing away at the back.

I'm not much faster now, but it gives me satisfaction to be able to get round in one piece these days.

Great for changing scenery, and some excellent sharp hills.

For flat runs, I do a long circuit starting at Don Valley stadium, running up to Meadowhall then all the way back to town via Brightside lane, then back out along Attercliffe Road.

This evening I'm about to do a 10 miler starting from Graves Park Norton Entrance, across to Woodseats then Chesterfield Road/Lonodn Road/City Centre/Granville Road/City Road/Ridgeway Road back to Graves Park.

Originally posted by RichK

For stiffer runs, I rather like Graves Park. It was where I used to have to do evil school cross country runs, where I was always the fat kid puffing away at the back.

FOR STIFFER RUNS? I hardly think running in a state of arousal is appropriate!! ? Unless it's around your bedroom after your good lady wife!!:loopy:

If you jog round dam flask its 3.8 miles and very nice to.

Where's Dam Flask?

Does anyone know of a good long run (5 miles or more) that doesn't take in any stiff (sorry, sharp :D ) hills?

Last night's run was a disaster - I had no idea I'd need climbing gear to get up Granville road!

Originally posted by Cycleracer

If you jog round dam flask its 3.8 miles and very nice to.

I second that, beautiful area! :)

Originally posted by RichK

Does anyone know of a good long run (5 miles or more) that doesn't take in any stiff (sorry, sharp :D ) hills?

Meadowhall and back along the tow path?

Nomme

For easy circuits I sometimes jog around Weston Park lake. The only problem is dodging the fishermen that sometimes are there.

Hi there

All the places mentioed above are good!

If you have a car, ret a little fell running at Fox house, about 15-20minutes out of sheffield, you can run for miles out there, Burbridge moors etc, get a local map, more importantly, nice clean crisp air and interesting scenery!

As you know, best times to run are at dusk or first thing in the morning, when the polution is at its lowest! Never around rush hour traffic times!

If you don't want to drive, centre of Sheffield, a nice run is along the Canal from the bottom of the parkway, you can run as far as you like, the canals go for miles and its impossible to get lost I suppose, depends on what distances you are running!

It will take you down all the locks, and you get chance to see a few canal Barges!

Late nights, and none of the places are really suitable, except Woodbourne road Running track, used in the student games a believe, cushioned Tarmac and lit until around 9pm in the winter.

Sheffield Harriers train there.

How much, usually a £1, but understaffed, they will let you run for free as long as no one else is using it!

Regards

Mark. .

Somone asked me that - where is the best place to run.

Taken fron an E-Mail:

Around dam flask where I row! up Loxley road from malin bridge – with the bonus you get to see me rowing up and down (!?)

however, endcliffe park (starts at hunters bar, eclesall road) is nearer and you can head out towards forge dam through the woods and beyond into the peak district if you were super serious

Alex

Originally posted by carsondaly

I live in Sheffield city centre and was wondering does anyone know where is a good place to go jogging (not far from the centre). Is there a park nearby that's popular with joggers or something like that?

try the tow path beside the canal its starts in town are goes all the way to rotherham

Hi there

I forgot to mention, that although the Towpath along the Canal is central to Town, beware of the Rats wgen the Nights Draw in, some as large as cats will hoover around the paths, although mostly frightened of you, Some people are easily intimidated by them! You usually here them ploping into the water, before you see them under the moonlight!

Incidently, you can run about 42 mile from Sheffield along the canal, maybe further!

Heres a link>

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/jim.shead/Sheffield--South-Yorkshire-Navigation.html#S&SY

Regards

Mark ..