Vista Released - Purchasing Tips.

SimpyTimpy

"Microsoft has said that even if the machine was primed to accept voice commands it would be unlikely the user would not be in the room to hear the file with malicious instructions being played"

ok so you are sat there, you've configured your PC for voice input 'cos it's flash and mice are so passé, you play around and direct the browser to an internet site where a video starts to play, so you sit back and watch with a big beaming smile thinking "how cool is this!", then suddenly you hear commands to delete various files being issued and your machine goes and does it in the time it takes for you to say WTF and your jaw to drop open, you then leap at the machine saying "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" but it's too late

naaaaah could only happen in movies really couldn't it :hihi:

:)It's quite disturbing - some of that small print gives Microsoft incredible leeway. Just imagine you're a third party developer who's software Microsoft's OS determines is 'bad' in some way.

bye bye limewire, utorrent, newsgroups and anything else that possibly allows you to share files...

bye bye limewire, utorrent, newsgroups and anything else that possibly allows you to share files...

Indeed - and I wonder what it will do with applications written outside the .NET framework, for example, that Microsoft view as 'risky'?

Might be a wonderful way for Microsoft to bring developers VERY firmly in to their fold by saying that only applications written in OUR development languages will run on OUR operating system.

Not at all impressed.

we were talking about online purchases of downloadable media, but I do take the point and I agree, if at all possible pay cash
Actually I wasn't, that why I said I'd go to the US and buy the DVD/CDs, i.e. from a shop. No point going to the US to then go online and buy it.

so linux, its not that hard to get into is it..

no, its a little interesting at first not having a c drive, but no, its dead easy these days, you dont need to know what happens underneath if you dont want to. your /home/user

is all you need to know.

It's getting a lot easier. Last time I did a desktop with Fedora I didn't even need to spend the obligatory 1/2 hour looking for drivers for all my hardware, it detected everything straight away. The only 2 parts of the install which may confuse are the hard drive partitioning & network (IP address) setup, which in most cases for general Linux newbie home use can both just use the "set automatically" option it gives you.

Yes, when you have problems it's more of a pain in the arse than Windows, & the learning curve is steeper, but once you get the hang of it you really get along in leaps & bounds.

I'd never touched a Linux box at all until about 3 years ago, now, while being nowhere near expert level, I can hold my own, & if I can't work something out I generally know where to start & what to do to work it out, which frankly is half the battle.

I can set up web & mail servers in my sleep though :hihi:

the internet is you best friend with linux. ubuntu is possibly the best not only because it treats you like a granny if you want, but is just as customisable as any other linux but i recommend it simply because of the ubuntu forums. they are superb. not one problem ive come across which is not adressed there. tutorials, help etc etc.

Indeed - and I wonder what it will do with applications written outside the .NET framework, for example, that Microsoft view as 'risky'?

Might be a wonderful way for Microsoft to bring developers VERY firmly in to their fold by saying that only applications written in OUR development languages will run on OUR operating system.

Not at all impressed.

Vista will allow you to install and use ANY program. It'll just tell you numerous times that it doesnt approve of it's installation. You can bypass anything on Vista either going to longway around things or by installing cracks/3rd party software.