Vista Released - Purchasing Tips.

SimpyTimpy

I'm wondering how much of this is because you are in the position of doing this for a business... If we home users can do the same, then great! Or does the fact that you're doing it professionally never get mentioned when you call them?

Nope the fact that im doing it for business/professional reasons has never been brought up, they are always more than happy to help, although i often seem to get one chap who is straight out of the "robocop" stature,the conversation goes as follows:

Me: hi, i would like to re-activate my windows please.

m/soft: how many pc's is this installed on?

me: just the one im about to install it on.

ms: so how many pc's is that?

me: er.....well it will be 1 once you activate it!

ms: so how many altogether?

me: erm....ive just told you it will be THIS ONE ONLY!!

ms: so it will be just this one?

me: AAGGGGHHH yes just this one!!!

ms: ok, thank you sir, your code is a follows.........

i swear he knows its me because he drags that one question out time and time again, yet any other operator i get doesnt need to ask the question more than once. in response to the question above i too have had to re-activate on upgrades ranging from Mobo + cpu, and it even required and upgrade on a change of graphics card once (although this was one change of several so it could have been totting them up) in these instances ive been explained that im an engineer trying out different configs on the machine, and again they have always been fine.

In my opinion (and i could be very wrong!) i think it also matters how you apply yourself if you have to phone up to re-activate on a different machine, for example if you phone up and say, "i was just wondering if i could......etc;" then dont be surprised if they try and fob you off with the EU software law etc, however if you phone confidently and say "im wanting to re-activate my software please due to configuration changes made to the system" it sounds more assertive and demanding! i remember an expierenced consultant who we used to employ while i was still learning the ropes after a lay off phoning up and having a slanging match with somebody who refused to activate it, i simply left it till the next morning and phoned up and very politely asked for my re-activation code with no problems!! (he was not amused at being upstaged by some less than half his age/experience!!)

MM

interesting point on OEM license purchases

buying Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (OEM) from CCL can be done with any hardware purchase even a mouse

CCL Says

It´s a sad reality that many people out there have illegal Operating Systems on their PCs. Many won´t even know that it´s illegal, as it was installed by a friend or a relative who just wanted to help them out. Others choose to acquire "cracked" or "hacked" copies because they think Windows XP costs hundreds of pounds and they want to save money, but all they do is leave themselves open to the viruses and spyware that software pirates work into their discs.

There is a solution. It´s cost effective, safe and most importantly, it´s legal. Windows XP OEM is usually shipped only with a new PC, but in a drive to make computing safer for everyone, Microsoft have now declared that it can be sold with just about any hardware purchase. Even a cheap mouse such as the one this link points to!

now the OEM versions of Vista they are selling don't include the above paragraph on their product pages but it may be worth giving them a call and seeing if it does apply, after all a mouse is a lot cheaper than a mobo, hdd or cpu

interesting point on OEM license purchases

buying Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (OEM) from CCL can be done with any hardware purchase even a mouse

now the OEM versions of Vista they are selling don't include the above paragraph on their product pages but it may be worth giving them a call and seeing if it does apply, after all a mouse is a lot cheaper than a mobo, hdd or cpu

indeed a lot of small pc shops will do this to comply in a "sense", there's a couple near me who will give you a free ide cable or charge you an extra 4 quid and bung in a floppy disk drive!

its the same price in pounds as it is in dollars.

If you buy an Adobe product online, you buy it from the same server as an American does and still pay extortionate British prices.

I reckon I can go to the US buy a copy of CS3 suite on DVD/CDs have a nice holiday, pay import taxes and still save money over buying it as a download.

Alternatively I can get a friend to buy a copy and ship it to me and save even more money.

Charging more when you had to physically ship a product from the US to UK made sense as there was an extra cost involved. But I bet the weak dollar is making Abobe a lot of money when we pay in foreign currency, it also never goes down in price as the dollar plummets.

even if you go to the country of purchase you'll find the price magically changes the second you put your credit card details in

saw a thing on tv a while back iTunes in france charges 9p per tune here it was around 14p and even if you went to france plugged your laptop in and purchased there it still cost 14p, and a friend buying it and giving it to you was illegal somehow, the copyright act got invoked or it was classed as illegal file sharing or something

we get ripped off, basically because the suppliers know they can get away with it

having the friend buy it and ship it in is the best idea I've heard though, I like that idea