Market stalls on the Moor

As part of the regeneration of the Moor the market traders from down the middle will be moved, and the suggested place to move them to is the cathederal square. However, the trader's arent happy with this, and want to be moved to fargate.

I think the market stalls need to be moved from down the middle of the moor, as they split the Moor in two, and make it a much more cluttered and unfriendly for pedestrians. If the regeneration of the Moor is to succeed, they must be moved.

Moving them to the square outside of the cathederal will be disasterous for the market traders, as they will loose a large amount of passing trade. Also, the cathederal will suffer, and without the council looking after the area properly (asif that's gonna happen) it could become downtrodden like the Moor is now.

I also think that if they were to move to fargate it would bee a disaster, as the exact same problem as with the moor would re-occur. Although the council is already cluttering it up with rides other rubbish.

Personally I think that the only solution would be either to move them into the new market buildings, or when the NRQ is complete, move them to the new charter square.

What's your thoughts?

Here's some link's to shed some light if you don't know what I'm on about.

http://www.sheffieldtoday.co.uk/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=2006152&sectionid=5730

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=311939&page=2

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=310570

I have said this before on the forum about the Moor - its a question of identity. Is the Moor a pedestrian precinct or is it a market place? I do not think it can be both, and the same would be true for Fargate. I think of other towns and cities and they have distinct market places/squares. Maybe the NRQ could lend itself to such a square. I am pleased though that there are now firm plans to regenerate the Moor - it badly needs it.

I don't agree with the idea that they'd lose business if they were outside the Cathedral. It's right next to one of the main city centre tram stops and the busiest shopping area of town is 20 yards away.

If people want to shop at the stalls one road isn't going to stop them.

So whats going to replace them ? that is one heck of a gap that will go empty.

I think cathedral square is a terrible place and I can only feel sorry for the cathedral if this goes ahead.

Edit - Will the extra people there not cause problems for the trams and buses that need to keep moving ?

If it did move to Fargate would this mean less market researchers trying to stop you every few minuits?

I don`t think it should go on Fargate or to Cathedral square, the council perhaps should have developed a site for the stall holders first! A proper market place like the one that used to be near the old markets (Can`t remember name Setts I think!) This is just my opinion tho.

If it did move to Fargate would this mean less market researchers trying to stop you every few minuits?

I don`t think it should go on Fargate or to Cathedral square, the council perhaps should have developed a site for the stall holders first! A proper market place like the one that used to be near the old markets (Can`t remember name Setts I think!) This is just my opinion tho.

Yes Andim68 - a proper market place is a good idea :D - but when do the Council ever come up with good ideas :hihi: . It does look a mess with all the stalls scatttered about, it would be much better to be properly pedestrianised with seating and planting. Fargate and the Cathedral forecourt wouldn't be much better places for the market either, they will get just as tatty looking :loopy: .

A thought - if it was moved to Fargate where would the continental markets/Christmas markets go to? At least they are only there for one weekend a month and so its not too bad to walk around most of the time.

Remember the days of friendly rivalry between Leeds Headrow and Sheffield Moor, as to which which was better for more stylish shopping?

Allowing market stalls to open was one of the Council's worst errors in my opinion - makes the place look like a scruffy Haymarket of old.

I completely agree. A dedicated market square would be the best answer.

But i've not got much confidence in the council with this, and so I feel were gonna end up with another run down area of town.

I think the blame isn't completely with the council though. A lot of what the market traders sell is rubbish, and so bring's down the standard of wherever they are. (It's the same with those market's in the street down waingate/castle)

I have said this before on the forum about the Moor - its a question of identity. Is the Moor a pedestrian precinct or is it a market place? I do not think it can be both, and the same would be true for Fargate. I think of other towns and cities and they have distinct market places/squares. Maybe the NRQ could lend itself to such a square. I am pleased though that there are now firm plans to regenerate the Moor - it badly needs it.

The moor badly needs doing up and so does the are around castle market because that is an absolute dive at the moment it looks awfully run down to say the least the sooner they start regenerating both areas the better.

If you have a look at the link's I posted in the original post, one of them has information about the Moor regenration. The first phase got planning permission yesterday, and demolition has already started.