Appeal: Knitted dolls' clothes for parent and child group.

Dear knitters,

I thought of you today to ask a huge favour of you all.

As you might know, I run a parent and child drop in center in the city centre foir kiddies aged 0 - 3 and their naughty parents!

Well, we've had lots of dollies donated and left for us from the old creche which used to run there, but, they're all naked.

We've had money to buy equipment but we were looking for the more pressing items like slides and trampolines etc etc to be used by the whole age range.

Now it's come to my attention that these poor dollies are still naked and we're quickly running out of money but then I haven't seen appropriate clothes for them anyway.

Would any of you lovely knitters use your excess wool to make an item for us please? If you are truly bored, looking for something to concentrate on or need to make something to try something out then we'd be delighted to receive any items.

All the dollies are Tiny tears types, premature baby sized I suppose and shivering in their cupboards.

We also had a dolls double cot/bunkbed donated recently which comes with no bedding so if you are sooo bored that you fancy knitting a little blanket for the bed we'd be very pleased to accept anything along those lines. Approx 14 inches x 8 inches.

I can offer free teas, coffees and biscuits to anyone who can donate even a simple knitted square as a blanket.

We're based on the lower ground floor of the Victoria Methodist Mission on Chapel Walk in town, through the glass doors which are opposite to the Superdrug entrance on Chapel Walk and we're there Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons, 1 - 3pm.

It'a slways fab to meet forummers but if you are able to donate a little spare time and spare wool to a good cause it would be all the sweeter.

Kind regards

Zebra

I grinned as I read this, because I adore making baby clothes, so the opportunity to knit some tiny ones is too good to miss. We have an appeal on at the minute to knit clothes for premature babies, so I'm sure some can be diverted to the shivering dollies of Chapel Walk.

I'll have a go at making a blanket too, though I'll probably have to post you the finished results as I don't get up north very often. Let me know who to send the stuff to and the postal address.

I'd love to knit some for you. I knit for both my kid's schools - to keep their dolls looking in tip top form!! I'll get back to you.

Hi first time on this forum it was recommended to me by jillm, this request made me smile and brought back some happy memories. My mum used to knit Sindy clothes for me when I was little, they even had matching bags, I would love to knit some clothes for the dolls it will be good practice. Not so much to unpick??????????? I would also like to knit for the premature babies.

Fantastic, thanks so much, you;ve all made my day.

I shall post some measurements, as requested by pm of the arm and chest measurements of the dollies and the address we're at.

Thanks again! :)

I must say I am touched by the generosity of you knitters ( I would say ladies but I suspect there are men too and wouldn't like to leave them out)

I've had some lovely messages and I would like to be especially clear in thanking Hecate, also JillM who runs the Wool Baa and is going to advertise in her shop for me and in the window for the request once the measurements are here...... and speaking of which.......

Our dollies come in 3 sizes

1. Chest 5in across (not all round), Arm length 5.5in and length of doll from neck to ankle 13 in

2. Chest 4in across, arm length 4.5 in and neck to ankle 11in

3. Chest 5.5 in, arm length 5 in, neck to ankle 11in.

I thought neck to ankle length might be useful for anyone thinking of longish items.

For those who requested the address to post items:

Jellytots, Victoria Hall Methodist Church, Norfolk Street, Sheffield S1 2JB.

If anyone wants to call in in person on Mon, Wd or Fri 1 - 3pm we'd be delighted to furnish you with a cuppa and a biscuit to make some recompense in gratitude of your efforts.

Kind regards to you all

Zebra

Thanks for posting the measurements, Zebra. I'll be seeking out some patterns over the weekend :) .

I'll make this thread sticky too.

Have you got any patterns for the dolls clothes? I'm not very good at working out patterns. I guess all based on DK?

I think I can just about figure out how to do a little blanket though!!!

I must admit I got sidetracked and so haven't sorted out any patterns yet. I will do though, honestly!

For a blanket, I was going to do something stripy, casting on what looked like an appropriate number of stitches and stopping when it looked big enough :lol: .

I'm sure I've got a little bit of the self-striped Snowflake yarn left - it's sooooo soft and would look great....

ooohhhh got to go knit something......

I've just added some links for premature baby clothes patterns in the other appeal thread. Some might be useful for knitting for dolls too. The post is here.

Zebra, I'll make some blankys for the dolls cot for you, as they are fairly speedy and simple to do, just pm me how to get them to you.

PT