Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

Had you received the "good kicking" that I got at Elland Road, some four months before my fourteenth birthday; and this at least a year before it kicked off anywhere else in this country in the sixties inc. Old Trafford..... ( they only used knives at that time.... only joking! ), and we started to become streetwise, you would probably feel differently

Wrong. I have enough sense to distinguish between a hooligan, who is guilty of crimes, and a football club, which is an intangible object totally incapable of being guilty of anything.

sorry but i hate leeds too. sorry Heyesey no love ins where leeds and blunts are concerned. its more fun anyway. we want us to win and others to loose. more interesting. and i agree Leeds were very bad in the old days, we owe them no favours and they wouldnt give us any.

Wrong. I have enough sense to distinguish between a hooligan, who is guilty of crimes, and a football club, which is an intangible object totally incapable of being guilty of anything.

You may do now; but did you at thirteen?

Maybe the word enemy was too strong.... and I was not being deadly serious in my post.

& what is more "Mein kampf gegen der Leeds/ Elland Road / Hunsleter" hasn't got the right ring to it!.

But the list of why I shall we say "immensely dislike" Leeds United is as long as my arm; and would take me all afternoon to type in.

It wasn't one hooligan. It was at least four in a 16-18 age bracket against 2 of us in a 13-15 age group.

At the time I didn't know anything about this sort of thing. We were innocent. It was at least a year before it kicked off anywhere else.

By the time I was 16, we knew what to do to avoid it, and generally successfully did.

My god your hard work, its a figure of speach.

To me wednesday are the enemy, and im sure they feel the same- doesn't mean that puts them on a par with hitler or binladen- stop being so uptight pal!

The thing with L--ds goes a lot further than just football allthough that is what these threads are on about.

There is political,business and other aspects that put us as Sheffielders in direct competition with those from up the M1. This is not the problem, the problem is with the arrogance and dissmisiveness of the media and people from l--ds that causes and i use this word carefully the hatred of l--ds.

Wednesday fans will not like this but the arrogance is something similar to the early experiences that i have had with some wednesday fans. Not so much now as i am older and have learn't to deal with these matters in which ever form that is whether physical or verbal.

I dont hate anyone or regard any opposing fans as the enemy Scotty but i do dislike some matters regarding our game and what happens with them from up the road.

The thing with L--ds goes a lot further than just football allthough that is what these threads are on about.

The problem is with the arrogance and dissmisiveness of the media and people from l--ds that causes and i use this word carefully the hatred of l--ds.

Wednesday fans will not like this but the arrogance is something similar to the early experiences that i have had with some wednesday fans. Not so much now as i am older and have learn't to deal with these matters in which ever form that is whether physical or verbal.

I dont hate anyone or regard any opposing fans as the enemy Scotty but i do dislike some matters regarding our game and what happens with them from up the road.

At last I've found something to agree with you on.

There is an arrogance with some Leeds people, and it is not just Sheffield it is directed at, but everyone nationally (including other places in Yorkshire, which they do not consider to be as good as themselves).

This statement is born out of experience of being a Yorkshire cricket member for almost 40 years, and following the county all around the country; and from experience at other sporting events (including Rugby league matches years ago).

I also accept there was an almost embarrasing arrogance amongst a certain minority of Wednesday fans in the past; especially when going to certain 3rd division venues as they were then in the seventies; towards locals etc & God only knows what they had to be arrogant about.

Not sure I quite understand your last statement about what happens to them up the road.

Do you mean their fate this season; or generally at all times?

Whilst we're on the subject of who we "hate", I don't really hate anyone.

When I lived in Sheffield I had many social and work acquaintances who were Unitedites; and if I had nothing else on I would sometimes even go along with them for a freindlly banter.

I know it has all changed now; partly due to admission prices and society.

Sadly for the worse, in my view.

The worst thing that ever happened to me at Bramall Lane (apart from seeing my team being beaten); was being crapped on by the foulest arsed pigeon the city has ever seen; at a cricket match against Glamorgan.

(Maybe it was CB, in his previous life. If so he scored a direct hit.)

Fortunately I was already a Yorkshire junior member by then, and used the sinks in the pavilion to wash my hair and shirt.

Is there something in the air at the moment?

It is getting worrysome when i start agreeing with some of the comments that wednesday fans make but if everyone kept to the banter or formal discussion then posting would become even more enjoyable. ( i know i have been responsible for less savoury comments on some posts before anyone starts )

But when people dispense with the utter sh-t then conversing with any football fan is good IMHO.

I dont think Geo that the friendly rivalry is utterly dead yet which is good.

It is getting worrysome when i start agreeing with some of the comments that wednesday fans make

( i know i have been responsible for less savoury comments on some posts before anyone starts )

But when people dispense with the utter sh-t then conversing with any football fan is good IMHO.

I dont think Geo that the friendly rivalry is utterly dead yet which is good.

Taking the points in order

A) That's life.

b) Me too & apologies where due.

c) I think we all had more respect for each other then; which in some cases isn't there now. Maybe this disappeared with the collapse of industry?

Disussing football for all of Monday morning, was a way of not doing any work.

Some good news at last from S6. Clarke has been loaned out to Oldham to gain match fitness.

Some good news at last from S6. Clarke has been loaned out to Oldham to gain match fitness.

thank god for that, does he have to come back :hihi:

Best ever wednesday team, in my life anyway-

CARSON

NIELSON ANDERSON WALKER STERLAND

WADDLE SHERIDAN PALMER HENDERSON

HIRST DICANIO

Subs - Turner, Pearson (N), Bart-Williams, Worthington, Bright.

when did Mel Sterland ever play left back?