Dear Aunty......does the forum need an Agony Aunt

Imagine if you had a problem and you could just contact your local agony aunt on the forum!

What would you ask her?

Why would you do it?

Does Dear Auntie to20 sound right?

who would you nominate for the Agony aunt position?

would you be Confused from Crookes, Bashful from Batemoor,Dopey from Dore or Eccentric from Ecclesall

Over the years I've done this role for more people than I care to remember.....

It's bloody hard work!!

My usual piece of advice to people now is couched in the form of a story about John Paul Sartre (insert your own existentialist philosopher).

JPS is sitting in the pub one day and a bloke walks in.

"You're the wisest man I know - I need some help with a personal problem," says the bloke.

"Fire away." says JPS.

"Well, I've met another woman and want to know whether I should run away with her or not."

"Well, " says JPS, " if you wanted to be told to chase away the floozy and stay with your wife, you'd ask your priest. If you wanted to be told to leave your wife and run off with the floozy, you'd ask a soldier. As you're asking me, I guess you want to be told to do what the hell you want...."

This advice is best given to people when both of you are drunk...:-)

I have seen many a personal problem posted on this forum, and a lot of people respond with their advice. Maybe the Sheff forum is effectively a collective agony aunt. there have been times when I have found it easier to discuss problems here as there is a degree of anonymity.