Tunnels under Sheffield

Sorry, this is completely unrelated but I would like to speak to you about a posting from months ago regarding Cuneo's in sheffield, I am currently researching my family history which includes the Cuneo's, you seemed to have information about them so I woundered if you were also researching them.

Please rely !!

Originally posted by levans44

Sorry, this is completely unrelated but I would like to speak to you about a posting from months ago regarding Cuneo's in sheffield, I am currently researching my family history which includes the Cuneo's, you seemed to have information about them so I woundered if you were also researching them.

Please rely !!

The information that I had about Cuneos was from ASPECTS OF SHEFFIELD 2 (available at Sheffield Scene) On page 90 there is a referance to the CUNEOS

living in Lambert St in 1871 at No 41. There was Andrew and his wife Maria along with their six children also his son-in-law lived with them but the family were not new to Sheffield as all the children were born in the City and the family as I said in an earlier post were listed as Musicians and in 1876 they were listed as Ice cream makers.

Originally posted by lazarus

The information that I had about Cuneos was from ASPECTS OF SHEFFIELD 2 (available at Sheffield Scene) On page 90 there is a referance to the CUNEOS

living in Lambert St in 1871 at No 41. There was Andrew and his wife Maria along with their six children also his son-in-law lived with them but the family were not new to Sheffield as all the children were born in the City and the family as I said in an earlier post were listed as Musicians and in 1876 they were listed as Ice cream makers.

Thanks for the info, I had that info already as I am researching them for family history purposes, I have trace them back to a small town called Coreglia Ligure near Genoa, which we will be visiting in 5 weeks time. I will dig the book out form the library though to see if it gives me any other information.

Thanks again

Originally posted by jackthedog

Where did this tunnel come out? I have noticed the bricked up entrance behind the vauxhall garage and wondered where it led.

This tunnel linked the old LMS Goods Station on Saville street with the Bridgehouses Goods Station belonging to the LNER opposite the bottom end of Corporation street. You can (or could) see the exit from the bridge on Chatham street.

Most of what was the Bridgehouses Goods Station is to be buried under the Inner Ring Road scheme.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Greybeard

This tunnel linked the old LMS Goods Station on Saville street with the Bridgehouses Goods Station belonging to the LNER opposite the bottom end of Corporation street. You can (or could) see the exit from the bridge on Chatham street.

Most of what was the Bridgehouses Goods Station is to be buried under the Inner Ring Road scheme.

So I presume the Bridgehouses Goods Station sat up on top of the tall wall (which is now being demolished) where the old IMO car wash buiding is?

And I presume the Woodhead line passed by it?

I am interested in the old magistrates court in sheffield, apparently they have underground tunnels that lead to snig hill police cells. is this true? Also there are supposed to be other secret tunnels that lead to the city centre anybody no anything about this?

• 2 weeks later...

Now don't hold me to this as I was not their at the time, but the source is pretty trustworthy and apparenty it was reported in a sheffield paper during the late 70's early 80's.

It goes that the grounds keeper / caretaker of Beauchief Abbey was digging up the flower bed at the back of the Abbey when the ground caved in to reveal what he though was an old water well. This was apparently documented and a firm was called in to check that the well was dry so they could fill it in and have the flower bed back. The firm (no idea who) sent a guy down the well on a rope to check out the bottom of. Once he got to the bottom their was no water at all but 2 large wooded doors with metal studds all over it. The guy was not too impressed about finding these doors and came back up in a hurry. (not really want you want at the bottom of a well.) For some unknow reason it was decided that the hole would be filled in, apparently it took 2 full cement lorries to fill it. I have looked my self in the central libary, but it mainly seems to be concentrated on the Castle.

What I do know as 100% fact is - The hammer and pincers pub on Ringinglow road (bents Green) use to be a blacksmiths. The last blacksmiths before you went on the old road to manchester. (still had the old anvil out the back when I worked there) a bit further up the road at the back of silverdale school and the fire station are thrift house cottages. Originally (in the time of the blacksmiths not the pub) thrift house was a Monks bakery, supplied the travelers with fresh bread before setting off to manchester. This bakery was run by monks from the Beauchief Abbey.

This is now where things are not so clear. "Apparently" their is meant to be a tunnel running from the Abbey to Thrift house, the reason for this tunnel was to help the monks escape with the gold/treasure and documents when attacked by invaders. The entrance to the tunnel at thrift house is meant to be under the outside wall on the end cottage nearest the fields. under the floor of the last cottage. When I was at silverdale the cottages were referbished after all of them were gutted by fire, The builders never actually knocked down the walls or messed about with the floors ( I presume that they are a listed building), best way to check is ask the owner of the end cottage if you can dig up the stone living room floor.

If there is a tunnel leading from the Thrift house cottages to Beauchief Abbey it would have to be very deep, follow the contours of the land and purley for time saving be in a straight line to the Abbey - but then what else did the Monks have to do with their time for all those centurys !!!!!.

I am more likely to belive that yes there are some tunnels at Thrift house and at Beauchief Abbey, but they don't actually go anywhere. More like just lead off for maybe upto 1/4 of a mile and end in a chamber where the could hide things out of the way.

Their are meant to be documents in the vaults of the central libary giving fairly detailed locations of the entrances and the directions that these "Tunnels" go in. I have asked in the past about these documents but just hit a blank wall, and blank expressions normally, hence why I don't bother any more.