Tunnels under Sheffield

This is fascinating ! Taken me almost an hour to wade through every message and follow the links, thanks everyone for such interesting stuff.

With ref to Mary QoS "imprisonment" - plain talker you are absolutely right, she lived a life of luxury.... and most of it not even in Sheffield. Whilst "imprisoned" in Sheffield, she was usually to be found living it up at Chatsworth house. If you tour the house, her room is preserved with it's original furniture and information about her stays there whilst she was being held in Sheffield.

In closing... no one has yet been able to show any evidence of actual tunnels. Just 2nd hand memories and passed down theories.

Does anyone have anything concrete?

Dave

Originally posted by Strix

this says They founded (snipped slightly)an hospital, called St. Leonard's established a cornmill, and erected a bridge over the river Don, then and still called the Lady's Bridge, from the chapel of the Blessed Lady of the Bridge, which had previously stood near the spot.

they were called "chapels of ease" if I have my facts right. there's one of these chapels, very similar to the one at Rotherham, as you go into Wakefield.

PT

Originally posted by Jon

Has anyone ever been in the tunnels under the city centre? And does anyone have access into the tunnels making it possible for myself and others to walk around them sometime :wink: ?

Jon

I understand that the tunnels run under the Manor castle as previously been pointed out where Mary Queen of scotts was indeed imprisoned. I also understand that she was walked to her execution from the tunnels that run from under the public house called Cross Keys at Handsworth / under St Marys church at Handsworth right through to Manor Castle. Hence the Pub in Pond Street called the Queens Head (listed building)

That would have been a heck of a tunnel seeing as she was executed at Fotheringay Castle in Northamptonshire :thumbsup:

Originally posted by pabloescobar

Also there were tunnels linking the police station on West Bar to the Courts.

any escaped prisoners??

when i worked at the alexander hotel on the corner of exchange st a waiter called walter who worked there just after they started building the castle markets showed me some photos of the tunnels that they found and told me that he and his mate walked into them until they got so scared that they turned back. afterwards they were filled in and the markets built walter said that the tunnels went in the direction of the queens head in pond st

Originally posted by mikey

They are part of the manor castle, I think. They link the castle to the Queens Head Pub. (Mary Queen of Scots and all that, she was imprisoned there for a few years)

There is a society for the castle maybe they can help you. Let me know as I may be interested in taking a look

They have never proved that tunnels run from Manor Castle to the Queens Head pub, tunnels do criss cross Sheffield but they are more likely to be connected to Shefield Castle.

In one tunnel a sword and a chair and table were found some time ago. There was a theory that a tunnel ran from Manor Castle to the Cross Keys at Handsworth but I dont what evidence brought this idea about. A lot of the tunnels are actually Coal Mine shafts, Sheffield had quite a few Pits and they could not fill them in so they were left.

Originally posted by haggis

a waiter called walter

LOL try saying that when pished :)

Originally posted by Wattsy

I understand that the tunnels run under the Manor castle as previously been pointed out where Mary Queen of scotts was indeed imprisoned. I also understand that she was walked to her execution from the tunnels that run from under the public house called Cross Keys at Handsworth / under St Marys church at Handsworth right through to Manor Castle. Hence the Pub in Pond Street called the Queens Head (listed building)

She'd have had a bloomin' long walk... ;)

She was executed at Fotheringay Castle, February 8, 1587.

PT

Originally posted by Gleighton

I remember reading in one of the history of sheffield by R.E.Leader about the train tunnels that ran from the station at the Wicker. They ran under the houses at Pitsmoor and when they went under the houses everything shook. If you look behind the car yard just past the wicker on your way down saville street you can see where they bricked up the tunnel.He also mentions about mine shafts collapsing there as well, due to floods.It took parts of the houses away that were built on them when they collapsed.

Where did this tunnel come out? I have noticed the bricked up entrance behind the vauxhall garage and wondered where it led.