Tunnels under Sheffield

Originally posted by lazarus

They have never proved that tunnels run from Manor Castle to the Queens Head pub, tunnels do criss cross Sheffield but they are more likely to be connected to Shefield Castle.

In one tunnel a sword and a chair and table were found some time ago. There was a theory that a tunnel ran from Manor Castle to the Cross Keys at Handsworth but I dont what evidence brought this idea about. A lot of the tunnels are actually Coal Mine shafts, Sheffield had quite a few Pits and they could not fill them in so they were left.

have you any more information or details about these items found in the tunnel? its very interesting and i would love to be able to see them if possible,perhaps it was a guards station that they found, have they been given to the museum in sheffield do you know?

Correct me if I'm wrong but to avoid confusion and be strictly correct, shouldn't we be talking about Sheffield Manor House (not Manor Castle), to avoid confusion with Sheffield Castle?

Originally posted by Saxon

Correct me if I'm wrong but to avoid confusion and be strictly correct, shouldn't we be talking about Sheffield Manor House (not Manor Castle), to avoid confusion with Sheffield Castle?

its a local area thing,i was born round the corner from it and have always known it as the manor castle when in fact it was a lodge used while hunting on the park

Originally posted by Saxon

I grew up near Manor CASTLE, it was always called that even though everybody knew it was a lodge --- so to me and the people that grew up near the castle, it will remain the Castle

Sorry, this is completely unrelated but I would like to speak to you about a posting from months ago regarding Cuneo's in sheffield, I am currently researching my family history which includes the Cuneo's, you seemed to have information about them so I woundered if you were also researching them.

Please rely !!

Originally posted by levans44

Sorry, this is completely unrelated but I would like to speak to you about a posting from months ago regarding Cuneo's in sheffield, I am currently researching my family history which includes the Cuneo's, you seemed to have information about them so I woundered if you were also researching them.

Please rely !!

The information that I had about Cuneos was from ASPECTS OF SHEFFIELD 2 (available at Sheffield Scene) On page 90 there is a referance to the CUNEOS

living in Lambert St in 1871 at No 41. There was Andrew and his wife Maria along with their six children also his son-in-law lived with them but the family were not new to Sheffield as all the children were born in the City and the family as I said in an earlier post were listed as Musicians and in 1876 they were listed as Ice cream makers.

Originally posted by lazarus

The information that I had about Cuneos was from ASPECTS OF SHEFFIELD 2 (available at Sheffield Scene) On page 90 there is a referance to the CUNEOS

living in Lambert St in 1871 at No 41. There was Andrew and his wife Maria along with their six children also his son-in-law lived with them but the family were not new to Sheffield as all the children were born in the City and the family as I said in an earlier post were listed as Musicians and in 1876 they were listed as Ice cream makers.

Thanks for the info, I had that info already as I am researching them for family history purposes, I have trace them back to a small town called Coreglia Ligure near Genoa, which we will be visiting in 5 weeks time. I will dig the book out form the library though to see if it gives me any other information.

Thanks again

Originally posted by jackthedog

Where did this tunnel come out? I have noticed the bricked up entrance behind the vauxhall garage and wondered where it led.

This tunnel linked the old LMS Goods Station on Saville street with the Bridgehouses Goods Station belonging to the LNER opposite the bottom end of Corporation street. You can (or could) see the exit from the bridge on Chatham street.

Most of what was the Bridgehouses Goods Station is to be buried under the Inner Ring Road scheme.

It was rumoured that there was a tunnel/tunnels leading from Queens Towers to Manor Lodge. I don't know how true these rumours were though.

Originally posted by Greybeard

This tunnel linked the old LMS Goods Station on Saville street with the Bridgehouses Goods Station belonging to the LNER opposite the bottom end of Corporation street. You can (or could) see the exit from the bridge on Chatham street.

Most of what was the Bridgehouses Goods Station is to be buried under the Inner Ring Road scheme.

So I presume the Bridgehouses Goods Station sat up on top of the tall wall (which is now being demolished) where the old IMO car wash buiding is?

And I presume the Woodhead line passed by it?

I am interested in the old magistrates court in sheffield, apparently they have underground tunnels that lead to snig hill police cells. is this true? Also there are supposed to be other secret tunnels that lead to the city centre anybody no anything about this?