Tunnels under Sheffield

Im looking for any information regarding the supposed tunnels from Sheffield Manor Castle, Manor Lane,

From what im aware these tunnels went to Castle Market?, Attercliffe?

Anyone know anything about it?

Have a look at this thread. It's an old one that covered tunnels in Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool etc. It's a really interesting thread, but may dispel some of the myths about Sheffield tunnels.

There's also this one that covered nuclear bunkers in various places that is also quite interesting.

According to one of the blokes working on the building on Fargate ,they have found a tunnel from there to Manor Castle

I believe this one on Fargate oes under the "boots" store at the bottom. A friend of mine used to work there and the staff were convinced the basement was haunted due to the tunnel .

Just trying to contact my dad regarding a post a few pages back.

My granparents lived in Pitsmoor up to the 1960's, and at the back of their garden, there was the remnant of a huge wall, completely covered in ivy, and built to standard far beyond that was necassery for a garden, i seem to remember at least 15 feet high.In the wall was a carved stone, i think with some kind of circular pattern.

I was told it dated back many centuries, when Pitsmoor was a modest walk from the castle.My very vague memory seems to recall it being talked of as some part of a barrack,and it may link to a previously mentioned 'something' in the Pitsmoor area, which may then have a tenuous link to any castle / tunnel story.

I'll re-post when i get the name of the road, house, wall etc.

Originally posted by derek

With regard to the comments from SaxonLeigh about the High Green area.In the early eighties I travelled from Sheffield to Barnsley every day along the A61 going past the site of the new Midland Bank building. For months I saw lorry loads of materials going onto the site but no construction work was evident from the road. I can only conclude that it goes down a very long way. Purely by coincidence at around the same time I came into contact with a guy who worked for the bank, something to do with their promotion side or similar, who told me he had been up to the site ti photograph the work in progress. Whether he should have disclosed it or not, I don't know but he said one of the pictures had been of a bank of generators, all in seperate blast proof enclosures, all with the doors open. I was told that that would not be seen again as they were to be kept in a state of constant readiness and only ever one unit would be accessed for maintenance at any time. He seemed to be of the opinion that there was a lot more to the building than than a bank computer centre. If you look at the level of security around the place now it makes you wonder if this is one of those legendary RSGs.

Derek

I believe the site you are talking about is nothing more than a bank data centre which has been placed underground for security. the building materials you saw going in would have probably been for construction of the underground bunker

Originally posted by jayjay

According to one of the blokes working on the building on Fargate ,they have found a tunnel from there to Manor Castle

Ah, right.......

so, they have traced the tunnel all along its length then? (she said with a wink! ;) )

As I commented on the thread about a tunnel from Beauchief Abbey to Bents Green, I have to say I have a healthy scepticism about the idea of tunnels there, too.

How, for example would the tunnel have negotiated the river(s) along the valley bottom, (the Sheaf, the Porter and the Don, which all merge together in that vicinity)

and, secondly, how would they have incorporated such a steep rise from the valley bottom up to that point on the hillside?

It is not totally impossible, but I do find the idea improbable.

PT

As per my previous post, spoke to my parents who's parent's (fathers side) lived on Shirley Road , Pitsmoor.

At the top of their garden is a massive wall , well covered in ivy now.The wall has a circular section which i remembered, but did'nt remember that it was actually a blocked/bricked up entrance to something !

Well faded memories from my parents suggested there was indeed a large structure on the Shirecliffe plateau, and immediately recalled to me that the wall and bricked up hole in my grandparents garden was always known in previous generations as a tunnel from this building(s).

If anyone wants proof , i will gladly point out which house it is.

these threads are fascinating. A fwe years ago i was really intoi this stuff, and managed to interview one of the councils emergency planners. The impression that he gave was that there were no large bunkers in sheff, and that plans all involved using existing spaces - such as the cellars of the city and town hall....

personally however i dont think he was telling the whole story.

Tankersley certainly seems a likely spot - close to main roads out of sheff.

Moorfoot would also seem probable - constructed late 70;s 80's, however seems to central for a bunker, so i feel tankersley is more likely.

As an aside i have heard that there is a deep bunker beneath Barnsley town hall, linking into old mine workings.......

my father told me a true story his father told him of a tunnel a tunnel of such lenth that men marveled at it s wonder he told me it took more than 1 million orange/red industrial bricks to build now were talking 100 plus yrs ago so you can imagine how many bricks that would be in todays terms anyway i digress my father mentioned the sage of hather as it s origins i moved to new zealand when i was a youngster and only returned recently i have searched everywhere for said place i am exasperated by my unfruitful searching and am begining to disbelief my own father who is sadly now departed i would be gratefuln if anybody good help me solve my lifelong story thank you

Originally posted by syeclops

he told me it took more than 1 million orange/red industrial bricks to build now were talking 100 plus yrs ago so you can imagine how many bricks that would be in todays terms anyway.

that'd be about, ooh, over a million bricks in todays counting...

;)

PT