Free Vegan Food? What do you think?

But it doesn't harm them does it ?

No but if someone stole your spittle collection you'd be a bit miffed

No but if someone stole your spittle collection you'd be a bit miffed

When did you last see a miffed bee ?

(I'm guessing last time you missed your medication)

My grandfather was a bee keeper. He didn't steal from them. He exchanged sugar for honey. He always made sure they had enough food. I can understand the argument with dairy products in that cows are overmilked and overbred so much that they suffer from spinal problems but I don't see the argument with freerange eggs. Presumably vegans won't eat brambles or apples because they feed wild animals birds and insects? And the rain forest is being depleted by farmers growing Soya so presumably you don't eat Soya and shouldn't we leave the nuts for the animals and intensive farming of vegetables has already driven many animals to extinction. What are you left with?

When did you last see a miffed bee ?

(I'm guessing last time you missed your medication)

Why do you think they have to gas them to get the honey? The bee's dont want to give it to them- so they are drugged and burgled. If thats your idea of fun then go leave your drink alone for a while in Dempseys

If thats your idea of fun then go leave your drink alone for a while in Dempseys

Will someone blow smoke at me and rob me ?

(actually, having been to Dempseys that sounds pretty accurate)

The bee's dont want to give it to them- so they are drugged and burgled. If thats your idea of fun then go leave your drink alone for a while in Dempseys

That is absolutely hilarious! And all the points made by Duckweed are valid, We could take any argument to the nth degree and have absolutely nothing to eat ... in which case Dumps would be the best place for us!!!

Sorry some bee keepers use smoke not drugs. My grandfather never used smoke. He didn't need to. His bees were very quiet because he made sure they always had enough. Bee keepers who took all the honey leave bees tired and desperate and of course they turn agressive. I'm not a vegetarian but can see why many are and I do not like intensive farming of any kind but I can't see the honey and the eggs argument. We are the dominant species on this planet and whatever food we choose to eat can have enormous impact on the ecology of the planet so if we all chose to eat the same narrow range of foods the intensive farming necessary to sustain this would ruin the planet. Also there are not enough vitamins and minerals in Vegan food to maintain a healthy lifestyle without taking supplements and many people cannot absorb synthetic supplements. I have had friends who were Vegans and had to give up because it was making them ill.

in this day and age its not the fact that we "steal" honey or eggs lol, its the way we do it....were not talking about the odd grandfather with a couple of hives were talking massive almost battery farm style farms that use the animals (bees, chickens) as slave labour

big business

Can you give an idea of the fare on offer? I dont want to make the trip to find a bowl of moist sawdust with a dandelion garnish

Dandlion with sawdust! what wine would you have with that?

What would you all say to coming along to sample free vegan food? Come and see for yourselves at the Free Vegan Food Fayre at The Quaker Meeting House, 10 St. James Street, Sheffield. Saturday 9th December, 12-3.30pm.

This can only be a positive day! Free tasty food that doesn't harm animals, is better for the enviroinment and your health. Organised by Animal Aid and Sheffield Animal Friends. Who's coming?

I have tried vegan before so I will leave it for others.

It sounds like a good way for any one who is interested to give it a try.

I once attempted to eat a vegan.

Theyre far too skinny and wiry to get much meat from.