Your Issues, Opinions & Thoughts On Gypsies & Travellers In UK

I regret to inform you that many of your points aren't worth answering.

And it's bigoted, by the way.

Why do some people who can't answer a few simple points on a topic have to resort to derogotary comments and then to top it all of have to be even more sad & petty by correcting a typing error.

So you think it's ok to sympathise with people you know nothing about as you have just proved because you won't back up your argument with facts or experience but someone such as myself who has suffered at the hands of these people isn't worthy of any of your sympathy, just a bigot? It's the first time I've ever been called that so perhaps your years as a perpetual student have taught you how to make your arrogant, narrow minded, observations that no one else has as yet.

I have absolutely no interest in entering a pointless tit for tat debate with you over this issue, other that to reassert what I said in my last post that you should not assume you know anything about me. I do know what I am talking about, despite your apparent refusal to acknowledge this. However, given how arrogant, narrow-minded and bigoted you have shown yourself to be thus far, I genuinely do not feel that need to prove myself to you, nor to elucidate for you the ins and outs of my experiences with the traveller communities. I know that it would only fall on deaf ears, and your that views are too entrenched for you to (however reluctantly) concede that an alternative position on the matter might be valid.

Finally, if that was the first time someone pointed out to you that your views were bigoted, well then I am genuinely shocked - but honoured to have been of service.

There was some Gypsys In swallownest a few years ago, just at the bottom down towards beighton. I was unaware they were there and walking my dog down towards the area they were in, which meant going past a security block. its a good job i did though, because a security guard working there warned me they were there and told me that a lad got mugged down there the night before. thinking i was only 14/15 i was kinda scared but they only seemed to stay for a few days before leaving.

Edit - Now i remember correctly they were actually staying down under a big bridge and next to a tip lol - the tip was practically empty when they left

Mod Note: Bickering and name calling isn't an appropriate way to get a point across. Lets bring this back on topic and leave the sniping out.

When people talk about gypsies or travellers and whether they are more criminal in their behaviour than 'static' communities, surely the only evidence we can look at is:-

a] Anecdotal ......and b] Statistical.

I would imagine that any statistical evidence is extremely difficult to come by in the case of gypsies because they are always on the move.One can imagine the near-impossibility of getting reliable data on any group in this situation. It's far easier with a fairly settled group-------not perfect-----but I would say, nearer the truth.For example, I would guess that statistics would show that there is more crime in general in Sheffield 5 than in Sheffield 11.

If we then lived in Sheffield 5 and then in 11 or we spent a lot of time in both, we could see if our personal observations tallied with the statistics.

In the case of gypsies or travellers this is far, far more difficult, so we HAVE to rely on anecdotal evidence.

Unless thousands and thousands of people are simply liars or unless they're part of a vast anti-gypsy conspiracy, it seems that travellers or gypsies DO commit a huge amount of crime.......etc......wherever they go. Most serious historians know that it is extremely difficult for big numbers diverse people to 'fix' their stories. That is why the Holocaust events are very probably accurate---------so many people tell the same story, broadly. It's the same with travellers. Too many people from all over the country have suffered from travellers and reported it for it to be untrue.Anecdotal evidence does have value and weight in any argument or discussion !

Anecdotal evidence does have value and weight in any argument or discussion !

As you probably know, anecdotal evidence is the basis of our system of trial.

When William the conqueror took over the country, he introduced his own system of law.

The judges he put in place, had no idea of the people, or the local customs.

So in each place they set up their courts, they obtained a jury of local men who knew the defendants, and could tell the judge about their character and what have you.

We all know that gypsies are thieving rogues, so, if they had been around in those days, William would have given them short shrift indeed :thumbsup:

you sir are a very racist pig there is good and bad in every one they are just people at the end of the day if you was to cut one of them they would bleed the same as you and i . i think you should really think be for you speek you couldnt say what your saying about black people it makes me mad when racist people like (darbees )think you can get away with saying things like

this .i thought they done away with discrimination like this when hitlar died .good day to you all

when racist people like (darbees )think you can get away with saying things like

this .i thought they done away with discrimination like this when hitlar died .good day to you all

I resent that and would suggest that you withdraw it immediately or preferably get off the forum if that's all you can say in your first post.

who are you to tell me what i can and cant post you are in the wrong and so are the others that have said racist thing .you cant right off a full race of people no matter how much you dislike the ones that youknow can ya

im a gypsy and proud to be iv got a job and pay my tax iv never toke anything that i havent payd for in my life but iv ad people who are not gypsy who have stole from me and bullied me but u dont see me coming on here slaging them off do ya becose there is good and bad in every one

im a gypsy and proud to be iv got a job and pay my tax iv never toke anything that i havent payd for in my life but iv ad people who are not gypsy who have stole from me and bullied me but u dont see me coming on here slaging them off do ya becose there is good and bad in every one
You're on here slagging me off personally, I'm not slagging you off personally. I have told you my reasons for my opinion on here. I am NOT a racist.

I had the good fortune to attend the huge Stow Gypsy Fair last May and it was a revelation. It was a nice peaceful lively good humoured event and an eye opener on the parallel hidden culture of travellers.

Jeremy Clarkson attended the same event and wrote this hilarious account -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,24389-2179074,00.html