Forgemasters big casting moving tonight...

i'm not sure if anyone's interested but the largest casting ever made in great britain is being transported to davy markhams tonight (around midnight) it's being hauled by aleleys on a trailer that has no less than 176 wheels to spread the weight.

at present the casting weighs 343tonnes, when cast it was closer to 580tonnes

it's very impressive to watch this massive set-up carying the huge casting and the skill of the drivers is unbelievable.

Big Job

I used to work for a security firm that was stationed there and some of the machinery that was in forgemasters is incredible.

I used to walk around the place at night and its an amazing place.

Someone told me that a few years ago one of the castings fell off the back of one of the transporters and it was so heavy that it started to sink into the ground.

I used to work for a security firm that was stationed there and some of the machinery that was in forgemasters is incredible.

I used to walk around the place at night and its an amazing place.

Someone told me that a few years ago one of the castings fell off the back of one of the transporters and it was so heavy that it started to sink into the ground.

hi jabber, that was a forging that fell onto brightside lane and sunk to about three feet deep:D - it weighed about 150tonnes:rolleyes:

john:)

I used to work in an iron foundry, and when we did a casting above 2 tonne we were being adventurous. The one you are talking about is quite something, that amount of molten metal is the stuff of nightmares for a foundryman.

Archived