What's the point of ASBOs?

Asbos are not a warning, they are seen as nearly the end of a long line, to get an ASBO very strong evidence must exist and other methods of trying to get you to change what you are doing will have been used.

The problem in Sheffield is the council seems out of control of what to do. 100% breach rate and one person breaching an ASBO 24 times seems to me that the authorities are not "policing" individuals with ASBOs.

What on earth are the council doing? I guess knowing this council, changing the road system so we can't get round the city!!! before really doing anything with those with an ASBO

ASBOS were set up by the looney left simple as a way to appear tough on crime for young offenders. In reality the whole system is a joke. Every year we hear from the government how they are going to get tough on crime. and every year we moan about things getting worse.

We hear the same old stories from our grandparents about how the police had respect in them days and gave u a clip round the ear for getting into trouble. My grandad worked in Lincoln Prison and told me time was time. If a guy wanted to jump off a balcony then 'so be it'. But he said hardly anyone of them came back for more time(not the ones that jumped lol).

Instead we have a growing army of Chavs intent on making people's life a misery without any fear of reprisals from the law. So what message does that send out? David Cameron's 'hug a hoodie' made we howl with laughter. :loopy:

Overhaul the law enforcement/judiciary and I guarantee things will be

better not worse!

Here endeth the lesson- Flame suit on for Looney Liberals:hihi:

ASBOs are given for supposed low level anti-social behaviour. We all know that those people who get them, in the main, are actually guilty of far more.

Society (us and Government) can only do our best to educate, when that does not work, proper deterrents are needed.

I agree. But who is to devise these 'better methods'

A few suggestions.

Behaviour training camps. Separate sexes, No high tech... I.e. phones TVs ECT.

No publicity for offenders. Basic nutritional food, no luxury at all.

The sentences can only be full time served or cut to 2/3ds by full adherence to the behaviour programme.

It should not be beyond the wit of the powers that be to ensure that such sentences are perceived by all as: a place to train losers, into better members of society; not as a place for serious offenders.

It has been said before...

Military service, strictly controlled with no bullying.

We really need more and better trained police.

When people complain the police, apparently sometimes do the very minimum because of limited resources.

Ideally it should be the police who notice the offending behaviour at the outset.

Police should have the resources to deter offenders or collect the evidence to convict .

I am not suggesting a Police state, but a better run Police force properly audited.

The sentences can only be full time served or cut to 2/3ds by full adherence to the behaviour programme.

Why even consider reducing sentences for good behaviour? Why not threaten to extend it for BAD behaviour instead? I think that might have a better effect and I would change the law to apply it to prisons too. Everyone should serve the full sentence handed to them, but if they are badly behaved inside then their sentence should be increased.

Apparently Bad lads Army the TV series on not so long back had a good record for Offenders not Re-offending.

I think its got be better solution than asbos

Although it might be a better solution, you would probably need a higher level of evidence to send someone away against their will. I do wish we could send some of our neighbours away on one of those camps though. Our cat might get to be able to go out again without the risk of being shot by a BB gun.

Why even consider reducing sentences for good behaviour? Why not threaten to extend it for BAD behaviour instead?.

That's a breach of the human rights act; we used to do this, but it's no longer allowed, because it means you're imprisoning someone (extending their sentence) without allowing them trial by jury.

That's a breach of the human rights act; we used to do this, but it's no longer allowed, because it means you're imprisoning someone (extending their sentence) without allowing them trial by jury.

It could be argued that shortening their sentence might be a breach of the human rights of victims though. The badly behaved prisoners could be offered the chance to go before a court to defend their bad behaviour before having their sentences extended.