Jack straw do you agree with his opinions on veils?

Respect works both ways though, why can't he respect their right to wear their veils if they so desire?
Because there are different levels of respect or more to the point, disrespect. Since they are visiting Straw for his advice and help they should show him some courtesy and common decency.

That's a helpful comment. Give you a laugh, did it?

Yes. Yes it did.

Good for you.

I'll leave this thread now, as like so many others, it seems to have descended into the far right making their odious and ill-informed comments with scant regard to reality, logic or reason.

Have fun working yourselves up into a nationalistic, xenophobic, racist lather, chaps. Remember to always rubber up and be gentle with one another.

Have fun working yourselves up into a nationalistic, xenophobic, racist lather, chaps. Remember to always rubber up and be gentle with one another.

One person made that silly remark, not the rest of us, but it seems ok for you to be insulting, how hypocritical.

Isn't the wearing of the niqab a sign that someone follows an extreme and less liberal version of Islam? Isn't it Islamic extremists who pose the terrorist threat?

You can't really blame people for feeling uncomfortable and suspcious given the current climate.

Good for you.

I'll leave this thread now, as like so many others, it seems to have descended into the far right making their odious and ill-informed comments with scant regard to reality, logic or reason.

Very silly comment,still if you feel the need to insult and what have you then best to chill for a while.;)

I find the whole provado offensive and i'm not even muslim nor female for that matter.

Though in his defence and if your going to be objective about it, the whole news of it is being distorted and ppl's view of it is that he has made this massive deal about not wanting them to wear one in his presence AT ALL. But that is not true, he said it is something he would ASK them to do cause he would preferr it, but it is just a suggestion and ultimately it lay in the muslim lady's hands to agree to or not.

But still, tut. It's their culture ffs.

I find the whole provado offensive and i'm not even muslim nor female for that matter.

Though in his defence and if your going to be objective about it, the whole news of it is being distorted and ppl's view of it is that he has made this massive deal about not wanting them to wear one in his presence AT ALL. But that is not true, he said it is something he would ASK them to do cause he would preferr it, but it is just a suggestion and ultimately it lay in the muslim lady's hands to agree to or not.

But still, tut. It's their culture ffs.

Yes but he has brought, maybe unwittingly, the issue to the fore for discussion and the general consensus seems to be that people are against the wearing of them. I don't understand how or why you can find discussion of the subject offensive.

With 'Sunshine Dave' trying to woo the liberal vote perhaps Mr Straw is undermining the BNP vote? Perhaps the BNP have to fear more from Jack Straw's comments rather than our Muslim community. Call me a cynic.

Good for you.

So, I make one glib remark about someone's religious dress and the next thing I am a member of the National Front? Tell me Bernard Right-on, if I had made a whimsical jape about the dress code of a vicar or a priest, would you be so morally up in arms? No, of course not.

As an atheist, it is my divine right to laugh at ANY person who makes an idiot themselves in the name of religion, be it a Jehovahs witness with their jumpers tucked into their cords, or someone shrouding themselves in black from head to foot in temperatures of 100 degrees plus.

Anyway, I'm off to shave my head and get my sta pressed denims and braces ready for tonight’s march....

So, I make one glib remark about someone's religious dress and the next thing I am a member of the National Front? Tell me Bernard Right-on, if I had made a whimsical jape about the dress code of a vicar or a priest, would you be so morally up in arms? No, of course not.

As an atheist, it is my divine right to laugh at ANY person who makes an idiot themselves in the name of religion, be it a Jehovah witnesses with their jumpers tucked into their cords, or someone shrouding themselves in black from head to foot in temperatures of 100 degrees plus.

Anyway, I'm off to shave my head and get my sta pressed denims and braces ready for tonight’s march....

I thought your remark was a bit silly but he was worse as he ran out of the room slamming the door and shouting insults.

I thought your remark was a bit silly but he was worse as he ran out of the room slamming the door and shouting insults.

Silly - yes.

But for crying out loud, if one cant make a light hearted comment about a subject without someone throwing their toys out of the pram, it speaks volumes about the over sensitised times we live in.