Selling Domain Names

DaBouncer

I know there are lots and lots of websites who sell domain names. Obviously the market is lucrative and the competition is high.

How does one find out how to go about being the person who can sell these domain names?

I.e. 123reg.co.uk sell domain names... how do you set yourself up to do so?

Cheers

DB

Something like http://www.123reg.co.uk

People come to my site to register domain names.

As you know I'm rebranding mobile unlocked (new name new design etc) and I want to spread out from just the cellular industry.

My new site will cover a broader spectrum including web hosting and domain name registration.

The web hosting I've got sorted... the domain name part is still a mystery to me.

DB

For .uk you need to become a Nominet member and tag holder.

For .com / .net / .org you can use an ICANN acredited registrar, e.g. Enom or Tucows.

Enom provide a reseller service, on a prepay basis. The more domain you sell the cheaper they become. They also have an API if you wish to integrate with your site,

I host sites but encourage my clients to register their domain names through 123-reg.co.uk.

Nominet membership is, I believe, about GBP 400 a year.

The reason why I don't wnat to be in that side of the business is that it's too much hassle for too small a margin. Unless you can compete with the prices that are offered you'll be spending a lot of time for little money, unless you build an automated system.

You'll also be responsible for all the fun and games when transfers take place!

I do register domains for my clients if they ask me to, usually at cost, but it's not something I regularly do and as soon as I get tehm registered I ask my client to set themselves up a 123-reg account so I can transfer the domains to them. That way if they DO want to change hosting companies (no one has done so far!!) it's an easy job for them and no hassle for me.

Joe

Archived