James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Thanks Robert:)

Yes they are marked E.P.B.M. although fortunately they are in lovely condition and have no metal wear. With a bit of a polish they should come up as new, although i still plan to sell them so will leave that to the buyer. Luckilly here in Australia stuff like this does make a little bit more than in the uk, as they are not so common and we dont have the great car boot sales and stuff that you guys have to find as many treasures. But i'm not planning to retire of the profits or anything, lol.

I appreciate the infe, should give me a little to go on when listing, although it would be great to work out an age of these pieces if anyone knows.

I like the sound of your tea and coffee pots Steph, typical of Dixons to put a good oz. of silver on each. Can you get a good rouge based polish where you are ? nothing abrasive.

As for date, the shape and design would be a good clue. You say 'round' that begins to sound like the 30s. Earlier B.M. is often heavily chased as it was easier to engrave elaborate patterns on the softer metal,

I didn't realise you were down under ! I would double the price you could get here, let's face you could'nt just walk doun the street and buy another !!

Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the links don't work (at least, for me). Could you post new links to the photos? / Malheureusement, les liens ne fonctionnent pas (au moins, pour moi). Pourriez-vous fournir de nouveaux liens aux photos ?

An interesting piece and looks very early. I would say it was pewter (etain) the 1/4 pint mark is what you normally find on measures or pewter tankards.

Some expert will know. Sorry my schoolboy french is not up to it !

Bob.

I am no expert but I agree with RobertDSmith that it is an interesting piece and early, perhaps c. 1840-1850, and made of pewter, the 1/4 being the measure and 1650 the pattern number. / Je ne suis aucun expert mais je suis d'accord avec RobertDSmith que c'est un article intéressant et qu'il est vieux, peut-être c. 1840-1850, et fait de l'étain. La fraction 1/4 est la mesure et 1650 le nombre de modèle.

Thanks hennypenny for the new links!

Edited by hillsbro

merci, merci pour ces infos très précieuse

que signifie la marque en N ainsi que le W que l on peut distinguer au dessus

merci aussi a google pour la traduction

bien à vous

que signifie la marque en N ainsi que le W que l'on peut distinguer au dessus....
Translation of the above: "What is the meaning of the 'N' and the 'W' that can be seen above... ('James Dixon')".

Can anyone help?

Just a guess: the 'N' in a square is exactly like the "year letter" as used in hallmarks on silverware. If such "year letters" were also used for pewter, it means that the item was made in 1856. / Une conjecture: le 'N' dans un case ressemble exactement une "lettre de l'année" ce qui est trouvé dans le poinçon sur l'argenterie. Si les "lettres de l'année" étaient aussi estampés sur des articles d'étain, cette lettre 'N' signifie 1856.

See here: http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarksSHE.html and here http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Sheffieldyearletters.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

• 9 months later...
Hiya. Me and my partner have just bought our 1st place together. It is in Cornish Place. The old factory of James Dixon & sons. It was converted into apartments 4 yrs ago. We are both very interested to find out more about the history of the building and we would love to acquire some original James Dixon & sons silverware so we can bring it 'home'. If anyone one has any old pictures of Cornish Place or any info, please let me know. Thanks Jen x x x

hi,ive got two pieces of James Dixon,epbm,one i think is a milk jug,and the other a sugar bowl (with two handles),if you still looking for pieces then drop me a line,,im wanting £30 for the two, many thanks,tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! after registering on this site, i'm finally ready to ask the question i have in mind.

I found what looks to be an old foodwarmer -type lid for a plate... like the kind they utilize on the railways in the past. Nothing like cold eggs and toast in the morning - apparently this may prevent it?

Established that the hallmark is James Dixon; EP with the following letter over all the hallmark symbols. Y2654L

Would appreciate any assistance on how to determine how old this silverplate is... in the meantime I'll continue using it to keep my morning eggs warm...