What was the gay club called that used to be around the corner from Planet/Rockys???

anyone know what the old staff of cossack and planet are up too eg matt martin sue etc or alanangel the old owners

I remember Roy from the Cossack (& Alan?), think Roy's surname was Miller. He used to take over in the holidays at the Hare and Hounds in Dore. It was a riot whe he was there. The landlord and landlady were brilliant too Peter & Barbara Merry - ace name for landlords of a pub! Have a feeling that Roy was the first person I 'came out' too!

anyone know what the old staff of cossack and planet are up too eg matt martin sue etc or alanangel the old owners

Didn't alan and Angel move away to Spain or something and set up a bar there, after the short-lived venture at Charles St. (BTW, the original 'Charles St.' Banner is STILL up, years after that place closed..!

And what about the Beluga? I recall that was a Gay Club, but never went there and can't remember if it actually was the one in Attercliffe (Probably Bronx or Manhattan's) or whether it was the same place as The Albert?

Just reading the Dempseys and Fuel thread and got to thinking about the gay pub/club that used to be round the corner from The Planet/Rockys and cant remember the name, is really bugging me now!

Can anyone remember and did you used to go there?

There was one called The Albert owned by Gary & Simon,dj was captain ginger,but that got knocked down,they then got one on a corner,think it was called XS (might still be) not sure tho,long time ago and dont live in yorkshire now...

Also was Cavalliers(stella was drag act there) going back about 25years now tho!

Hole In The Wall,just before Pitsmoor was another,popular with the girls on saturday nights...

Was another nightclub(dark n very tiny place called Lydias on Attercliffe,back in early 80's

Could it be any of these?Might jog a few memories??

X

Probably the Albert or the Beluga?

Gary and Simon did indeed move to the old Norfolk Arms and renamed it Club Xes and we all had many happy years there, especially the Transvestite crowd; the tranny nights were busiest in winter but died off in Summer. And finally, in Summer last year, Gary decided to sell up at Club Xes because of declining patronage (in no small part to the construction of the new Tesco blocking off the south end of Carlisle Street so motorists and taxis couldnt travel directly from the Parkway interchange...

The good news is that Gary and his partner are now running the RED LION in the city centre (just between the Roebuck and the Hallam Uni HUBS, and they do great food and a good selection of beers.

The Red Lion is, however, being run as a general mass-market pub and is NOT a gay pub/club with any DJs, dancing, etc. They do, however welcome gay customers of course!:love:

Probably the Albert or the Beluga?

Gary and Simon did indeed move to the old Norfolk Arms and renamed it Club Xes and we all had many happy years there, especially the Transvestite crowd; the tranny nights were busiest in winter but died off in Summer. And finally, in Summer last year, Gary decided to sell up at Club Xes because of declining patronage (in no small part to the construction of the new Tesco blocking off the south end of Carlisle Street so motorists and taxis couldnt travel directly from the Parkway interchange...

The good news is that Gary and his partner are now running the RED LION in the city centre (just between the Roebuck and the Hallam Uni HUBS, and they do great food and a good selection of beers.

The Red Lion is, however, being run as a general mass-market pub and is NOT a gay pub/club with any DJs, dancing, etc. They do, however welcome gay customers of course!:love:

Yes I would confirm that Garys new pub the Red Lion is very good ! And very welcoming of gays too :P

God, I worked at Rocky's not long after I first moved to Sheffield.

I remember seeing the advert in the jobcentre, asking about it and the bloke giving me a funny look and saying "you do know what kind of place it is, dont you ?"

As it happens, being new to Sheffield, I didnt have a clue.

Went for the interview and nearly had heart failure when I saw the decor and realised :wow:

Anyway, got the job, and as far as im aware, I was the only straight member of staff there.....couldnt believe some of the offers I was made (all of which I politely turned down)

God, I worked at Rocky's not long after I first moved to Sheffield.

I remember seeing the advert in the jobcentre, asking about it and the bloke giving me a funny look and saying "you do know what kind of place it is, dont you ?"

As it happens, being new to Sheffield, I didnt have a clue.

Went for the interview and nearly had heart failure when I saw the decor and realised :wow:

Anyway, got the job, and as far as im aware, I was the only straight member of staff there.....couldnt believe some of the offers I was made (all of which I politely turned down)

um mmmm okies :hihi::hihi:

On 29/08/2006 at 17:08, SL31 said:

Just reading the Dempseys and Fuel thread and got to thinking about the gay pub/club that used to be round the corner from The Planet/Rockys and cant remember the name, is really bugging me now!

Breakers  was the pub on attercliffe that is now a sauna 

On 29/08/2006 at 17:08, SL31 said:

Breakers  is the pub that was in Attercfifle.