Would you move to child-free housing?

I've seen on TV that in the USA they have private comunities, with security patrols etc and gates on the road coming in where only adults of a certain age and no kids (i think 50+) can buy. I'm not 50+ for a long time but it certainly appealed to me. Seemed quite expensive though.

I've seen on TV that in the USA they have private comunities, with security patrols etc and gates on the road coming in where only adults of a certain age and no kids (i think 50+) can buy. I'm not 50+ for a long time but it certainly appealed to me. Seemed quite expensive though.

Sounds like hell on earth.

As much as me and my partner complain about the millions of kids round our street (all aged between 5 and 11) i wouldn't change it, the kids next door went on holiday for a week and i missed hearing them running around!

And so on the second day, the Manor was born .........

I like that!

Once this was in place, the sort of people who 'oppose' children, would begin to find things to object to about each other, and would want each other banned too.

Intolerance for one group is the thin end of the wedge :(

Yup!

It exists, anyway. It's a Caravan Club site from Monday to Friday during term time. A hotbed of curtain twitching, b*tching and backstabbing like "Oooh, he thinks he's flash with that new water carrier" and "I wish they'd ban barbecues. That couple on the other side of the site had one last night and we could smell a bricket of charcoal" etc..... Woe betide someone brings their family on for a term time holiday as those kids won't be allowed to play football within a hundred mile radius of the site.

Rofl, well i can certainly say that some of the replies have been a bit of an eye opener and this thread is now in danger of becoming another of the "slag off the kids" type of threads so lets be a bit clearer then.

What about people who don`t mind kids but just don`t want them in their face ( or ears) 24/7

People who do not want to live in the city centre in a flat but further afield in a small house.

People who don`t have children yet but may wish to once their career is sorted.

People who work shifts and want to be able to sleep in the day in peace and quiet, and one of the most important reasons as far as i`m concerned, the people who have either lost a child or been told they cannot bear any and are upset when they cannot escape and live life without having it rammed down their throats evry minute.

Not everyone is 'opposed' to children but some have good reasons for not wanting to do the child thing constantly, especially when they don`t have any.

OH YES PLEASE

No kids playing footbal on the road spoling your garden/ no kids screeming and no mums shouting and kids not taking a bit of notice.

Not the maternal type you might have guessed

No i would hate it, yes there are always some problems where there are children but on a nice day i love to hear them running about and playing....the only thing that lets it down are the parents who do not teach children how to behave acceptably.

I like to feel like part of a community that means not excluding some members.

I wouldnt mind living on an estate where there was kids (im 58) my grandsons 10 as long as they respected other people :loopy: but who am i kidding

I think any sort of segregation is ultimately wrong. Society is so atomised as it is - why make it worse? Each mini-faction resenting all the other mini-factions. One of this country's worst diseases is the prevailing hatred of children. We should mix and learn to accept all strands of humanity, as long as there is a basic standard of communal respect and consideration. I think ghettoes of any kind damage us all in the end.

maybe segragation is what we want, now although i dont object to children i do to some of the parents and for this reason would support it but at the same time seperation of some youths from the elderly into distanced housing complexes, a self sustainable commune would always be interesting.

should we shield youngsters from the wider world probably not, but the media shields us from many things.

If a new estate was built in Sheffield and the only people allowed to buy a property on it were people without kids would you jump at the chance?

Of course there would be people who would have to sell up and move on should they decide to start a family but there would also be people who would never have any intention of starting a family too so it may seem like their ideal place to live.

After reading all about the disturbances caused in some areas would this be a solution for people who just want peace and quiet?

Perhaps there should be an estate for all the narrow-minded 'perfect' people in the city too :rolleyes: