Since when did we decide to exclude?

Originally posted by mr craig

I can't wait till i turn 30 and turn into a miserabe git.

"I don't beliiieeeeevvvee it."

Ah well, I was wrong when I said this thread served no purpose. Seems it's served the purpose of driving one member away :(

oh well, shame on me for thinking this place was any different to others on the internet. Maybe time to move on again

Originally posted by Martin_s

In the same way that my age doesn't define me, neither does this thread...

Of course it doens't define you Martin, and I am sure anyone who's met you knows you're a fine chap.

Originally posted by

mimicraze

well looks like i wont be coming on here half as much as i used to and im sorry for trying to be so pro active and include everyone in the meets.

Oh no no no mimicraze ... this place is way too addictive ... you can't get away that easy !!!

But if you do manage it ... good luck ... and do let me know how you managed to escape this black hole that is 'Sheffield Forum' (sorry Geoff) ...

I agree with you wholeheartedly Martin_S...

If I wanted to come, I wouldn't be allowed because I'm not old enough... Not fair! I contribute to this forum therefore I should be allowed to meet with the rest of you!!!

Well, if people can't say what they like because they are scared they might drive someone away then not much point in having a forum is there! And if people are going to get in a strop and leave the forum over a post then I for one won't miss them!

Sorry but get a grip!

has this been blown all out of proportion or what?

all what happened - unless i have missed something is that a meet was organised for people aged 18 to 30- so what is the problem- personally i dont see a problem- i dont see any under hand thing to leave or exclude any one from going- so i think if people are getting upset about it - its them with the problem and no one else

As someone only a bit over 30 (33 to be exact) I feel the upperage limit has been placed a bit too low. 30 is hardly middle aged. Still if people want to arrange meeting and specify who can and cannot come I suppose that is up to them. Personally I could suggest a non-smoking meeting as I don't like passive smoking (incase you didn't know!). I'm not sure everyone would find it too acceptable though.

One other point; it may be me just being a little overcausious but I'm not quite sure about arranging meet ups with people met on-line in any form. Still, i could well be wrong about that.

Anyway, I hope those who go along have a good time.

WAY OVER THE TOP MARTIN, WAY OVER.

Its only a meet after all, and there was one for the dare i say it "older" members at Trippets. All people should turn up... they cant (and i dont think will!) ignore you and as for banning you, how can they?, its in a public place.

I am sure the term 18-30 means what people are going to get up to, big **** up and clubbing. The theme of the evening, thats all. That does not mean that people over the age of 30 do no do this and that everyone under 30 does.

Everyone get off here (your comp) go down the local or the theatre or the nightclub or meet up!, whatever and chill out and have a LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Originally posted by Martin_s

I've been trying to think of a polite or constructive way to say this but I can't seem to manage it... The issue I have is with the concept and NOT one related to individual persons...

The 18-30 social is in my honest opinion a great idea...

BUT...

I'm offended that my age is suddenly a barrier to meeting people through this forum... people with whom I may well and in many cases already do, have a common interest, or even a friendship with... I find it bizarre that I consider going to an event and then quite possibly get told I'm "not allowed" again on the basis of some limits that do not apply in either legal or other terms.

So, I'm going to register my dismay at this point... can someone with a cooler head explain why we shouldn't be saying things like "you can't come" when we're free to go to a public place and enjoy the company of others without fear of someone placing abstract barriers in our way...

I am (and I'd like to think I've proven this to those I've met) an inherently friendly, open minded person who has done his damndest not to judge on the basis of looks, colour, race or age... I think perhaps that's why I'm so frustrated. It goes so completely against the grain for me...

Am I alone in thinking this?

After just re reading the 18-30 meet post i think (and I dont mean to sound nasty) you are very paranoid martin. Relax its only a meet and as stated in my above posts I cant see people being excluded.

If I'm alowed to throw my 2 peneth into the mix.

I think Martin in his post was a little extreme in thinking he couldn't come. Again I dont personally think that Mimi would say you couldn't come just because you've one foot in the grave Martin.

I think mimi's pro active approach was merely to get some social interaction with people closer to her own age who may have the same tastes, and the same ideas. I sometimes feel that!

It's natural. I'm sure you do too martin.... prefer the company of more mature laid back forumer's sometimes.

It's not to say you can't come, it's merely just saying that the 'target' audience will be of an 18 - 30 criteria.

Similar with Caprice, she's 17... so really it doesn't apply to her saying she can't come... as she's more of that age, however we'd need to make sure the venue allowed minors ;)

However I think mimi may have taken it too personally by thinking that it was a direct attack from Martin and saying she wont be around. It would be a real shame if she stopped coming on the boards because of one little conflict of opinion.

At the end of the day the forum is a community where age doesn't matter. Cos unless you post the details in your profile, we'd never know for sure. However sometimes it can be seen that taste vary depending on age. This is just a fact of life.

I don't think the majority of under 30's (me included in that) would be at all bothered if you fogies ( ;) ) decided to have an over 30's meet.

So to cap off my ramblings and in the words of one great man.

''Let it be. let it be, let it be, oh let it be,

whisper words of wisdom... let it be":thumbsup:

With an IQ of 125 I'm gutted I can't join Mensa, but such is life...

You could be onto something... how about a meet for people with an IQ of 126 or over? :D

Okay, I'll get my coat...