The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

corgigasman if you have over 50yrs combined experience from BG and N power you must be pushing 70 years old? or is it just me reading your signiture wrong?

Put my 'N-power' installer back on my signature......just to add a little credibility :D

It doesnt get any better Pal. Just been to a survey for a new boiler, only to discover upon visual inspection that existing boiler was imediately dangerous. Customer told us that allegedly Npower had recently condemned it. Unfortunately it was ID and they didnt disconnect (or leave any paperwork, or issue sticker to appliance), thus leaving customer to continue to use an ID appliance. :o.

On that note I'd ditch the Npower catch phrase, and maybe try EDF. lol :hihi:

Noisy Boiler

Recently moved into a house thats seems to have a noisy boiler. It works fine but I'm not sure if the noise is anything to be worried about.

I've videoed the boiler in action...exciting eh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xPhUAWPa0

Also the house has an extension that has 2 rads which barely get warm, I'm wondering if the boiler is underpowered as it is the same boiler we had in our old house which struggled to heat 11 radiators and in this house its trying to heat 15.

Any thoughts?

Deano

The Ideal Classic is a robust little beast, but is prone to fan failure. After watching your video masterpiece, I can conclude you probably have major circulation issues. The boiler cuts off suddently on the high limit stat because it cannot dissipate the heat away from the heat exchanger and around the system. Could be why 2 rads dont get hot, although this could be down to pipe work / pipe sizing issues. Poor circulation of heat could be due to pump failure, sticking or partially blocked 3 or 2 port valve, sludged up heat exchanger, air in system etc. Id have the system water looked at and the pump. Is the pump body minging red hot? Is the pump noisy? Is their air in the system and can you hear glugging?

If it is down to the fan, it could be because it is not blowing hard enough to keep the air pressure switch active and therefor suddenly cuts off. Although my instict says its a circulation and over heat issue.

Either way, you need to get it looked at, as its not doing it any favours.

Kind regards... Steve

Hi not a heating engineer worcster combi boilers have water temperature set to 55 degrees and cant be altered . Just thaught everyone ought to know .:)

Ferroli optimax he plus 31 c

Damn this boiler. Had several call outs to them, they often leak like sieves, fill valves jamming etc etc. temperamental as anything. air intake freezes up at the slightest prolonged frost (just when you need heating most) or the condensate drain freezes up, watch out if you've got trees anywhere near them as the burners clog up with the pollen or other 'dander' off them. Don't know how they got them on the market without spotting these problems/faults. And you're right, backup is worse than useless.

Not too many years ago (20-ish) Ferroli seemed ok, then they started farming out control boards; among other problems it resulted in whoosh-fa-BOOM at start-up, they sent out 'new' boards every few weeks, until they solved it (sort of). They've never seemed to get their act together since.

Don't fit one. Stick with Vailants and Baxis etc at least they are get at-able if something fails.

Ask for your money back and get a different one fitted.

This thread is 2 years old. I would have hoped this chap would have had the Ferroli off the wall and replaced by now.

Noisy Boiler

Recently moved into a house thats seems to have a noisy boiler. It works fine but I'm not sure if the noise is anything to be worried about.

I've videoed the boiler in action...exciting eh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xPhUAWPa0

Also the house has an extension that has 2 rads which barely get warm, I'm wondering if the boiler is underpowered as it is the same boiler we had in our old house which struggled to heat 11 radiators and in this house its trying to heat 15.

Any thoughts?

Deano

Had a little listen and I can hear the fan bearings knocking and sticking.

Common fault in the ideal classic in what is a solid boiler. And yes you are right, These boilers are ok at heating about max of 10 rads so its on the limit for the 2 in the extension.

Hi not a heating engineer worcster combi boilers have water temperature set to 55 degrees and cant be altered . Just thaught everyone ought to know .:)

What is the DHW temp dial for then?

Think he's on about the junior, aint a DHW dial on them. Can be altered by a qualified person internally

Sounds like the fan is making your noise from the video you have made but would not say 100% until i had seen it in person cheers jon.

Combined experience of more than one installer :thumbsup: I'm only 43, stop aging me, lol

Edited by corgigasman