Democracy - Good Or Bad?

14 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

While they are at it, they need to force Sainsbury and M&S, rip off mrchants. :roll:

The supermarkets provide thousands of jobs through out the UK and need to generate a profit in order to do so.  Only a slight fall in sales due to the small  margins can result in them losing money which would mean reductions in the numbers they employ.  

Is five years to long for the Government of the day to be in power? It use to be every 4 years until the Coalition Government, Conservative and Lib Dems, changed it.  I’m not sure why it was changed, I think it was something to do with they needed more time to get their policies through parliament.

I think we should go back to having a general election every 4 years. 

21 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Is five years to long for the Government of the day to be in power? It use to be every 4 years until the Coalition Government, Conservative and Lib Dems, changed it.  I’m not sure why it was changed, I think it was something to do with they needed more time to get their policies through parliament.

I think we should go back to having a general election every 4 years. 

It was a maximum of 5 years before the coalition government.  The coalition government introduced a fixed term of 5 years.  However parliament could still vote to hold elections earlier such as what happened when Theresa May was prime minister in 2017.  Boris Johnson wanted to hold an early election in 2019 but this was blocked for several months by the Labour party.  After the Tory party won the 2019 general election the fixed term act brought in by the coalition government was repealed enabling the prime minister of the day to choose the timing of a general election again.

17 minutes ago, Axe said:

It was a maximum of 5 years before the coalition government.  The coalition government introduced a fixed term of 5 years.  However parliament could still vote to hold elections earlier such as what happened when Theresa May was prime minister in 2017.  Boris Johnson wanted to hold an early election in 2019 but this was blocked for several months by the Labour party.  After the Tory party won the 2019 general election the fixed term act brought in by the coalition government was repealed enabling the prime minister of the day to choose the timing of a general election again.

Thank you for that Axe.  I knew Parliament could vote to hold elections earlier.  But didn’t realise it was 5 years a government could remain in power before the  coalition government was in power. 

6 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Thank you for that Axe.  I knew Parliament could vote to hold elections earlier.  But didn’t realise it was 5 years a government could remain in power before the  coalition government was in power. 

I think ideally a prime minister will choose to have a general election after 4 years.   It has not been normal circumstances since 2019 so it is understandable why the current prime minister will  wait the maximum time to call a general election rather than go early. 

3 hours ago, Axe said:

I think ideally a prime minister will choose to have a general election after 4 years.   It has not been normal circumstances since 2019 so it is understandable why the current prime minister will  wait the maximum time to call a general election rather than go early. 

Its because he has got no bottle. :hihi:

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Its because he has got no bottle. :hihi:

Its because he is using his brain.  The economy has turned a corner and is now going in the right direction after a number of bad years due to global events.  It makes sense to delay the general election for as long as possible under the circumstances. Rishi Sunak has been prime minister for just over 18 months and it is understandable he wants more time before calling the general election so the electorate have a longer period of time to judge him by.  January 2025 is the date I would choose for a general election if I was in Rishi Sunak's shoes.