It's Easter So Are You Having A Hot Tick Bun ?

1 minute ago, Norbert said:

We established on the last page that the story isn't real, like almost all similar stories, it's just stuff to trigger the simple minded.

All religions are equally made up though. Do you follow one?

No, I'm an atheist and don't particularly like religion. Although I think it's fairly clear that there's a low level campaign going on against Christianity.

29 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

The point is that it's only Christianity which this sort of censorship happens to.

There'd been no censorship.

It's a marketing stunt to get people talking about the company and to draw attention to the fact that they are selling hot cross buns. One that's been very successful going by the sales figures reported.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Norbert said:

We established on the last page that the story isn't real, like almost all similar stories, it's just stuff to trigger the simple minded.

All religions are equally made up though. Do you follow one?

I certainly agree with your second point.

On the first point, some religions are rather more easily offended than others so no one would dare pull a publicity stunt that involved removing their religious symbol. Hence all religions are equal (and equally made up) but some are more equal than others.

4 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

No, I'm an atheist and don't particularly like religion. Although I think it's fairly clear that there's a low level campaign going on against Christianity.

Unsurprisingly I'm an atheist too. Anything that weakens religion's power over us is good by me. All the major Abrahamic religions in this country were secularising at the same decent rate at one point until the increase in hate for certain ones caused the followers to cleave back together and become more devout. Careful what you wish for folks.

Just now, altus said:

It's a marketing stunt to get people talking about the company and to draw attention to the fact that they are selling hot cross buns. One that's been very successful going by the sales figures reported.

What’s going to be next then?  Banning Christmas cakes? Or calling them Tickmas Cakes?

• Like 1

Just now, pfifes said:

What’s going to be next then?  Banning Christmas cakes? Or calling them Tickmas Cakes?

What will be next is another made up story about Banning Christmas cakes? Or calling them Tickmas Cakes?  :facepalm:

Just now, pfifes said:

There was no banning of anything. People aren't going to stop producing Christmas cakes, although somebody might produce a cake with a great big snowflake on it.

As for your 'some religions are more equal than others' comments, perhaps you could remind us which religion has official representatives in the House of Lords.

1 minute ago, altus said:

There was no banning of anything. People aren't going to stop producing Christmas cakes, although somebody might produce a cake with a great big snowflake on it.

As for your 'some religions are more equal than others' comments, perhaps you could remind us which religion has official representatives in the House of Lords.

'You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.'

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Norbert said:

'You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.'

:thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, altus said:

Maybe not in this instance, but I think it's undeniable that it's going on. Merry/Happy Christmas is now often changed to "Happy Holidays", there was a story recently about Easter eggs being renamed and you often see stories about Christians at work getting into trouble for wearing a necklace with a cross, while it's perfectly fine for Muslim women to wear hijabs and men to wear those skirt things (I don't know the actual name of them).

21 minutes ago, Norbert said:

Anything that weakens religion's power over us is good by me.

I agree. But what I don't like is how it's done to the ones that don't really cause any problems, while the more intolerant and extreme forms are allowed to run rampant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Norbert said:

What will be next is another made up story about Banning Christmas cakes? Or calling them Tickmas Cakes?  :facepalm:

My comment was tongue in cheek.  However, despite your facepalming I suspect there will be more silliness to come.  Not least because some folks like to consider themselves jolly clever and congratulate themselves on saying ‘you fools, see it worked, it’s all just a publicity stunt to spur the great unwashed into a spiced bread product’.  

But what would happen if an equivalent publicity stunt played around in any way with a less tolerant religion?  

3 minutes ago, pfifes said:

But what would happen if an equivalent publicity stunt played around in any way with a less tolerant religion?  

Ok, perhaps we can test this by you coming up with a product, the symbol commonly found on it, and a suitable company that has the power to change the symbol on it? Then we can make up a story and see if we can get people riled up.