Scotland To Endorse Assisted Dying

7 hours ago, Padders said:

The Guillotine never fails....

Unless it fails to fall!😄

echo.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cressida said:

Why go to Switzerland have a skinful and walk into the sea when at night.

Is that called ‘doing a Reginald Perrin?’😄

echo.

Sorry folks I don’t agree with it at all.

Whatever life throws at you on your journey, just make the best of it.

It’s what you achieve in life from the day you take your first breath to the moment to take your last that counts.

Enjoy it while you can. Life’s precious.

echo.

14 hours ago, Padders said:

The Guillotine never fails....

The guillotine remained France’s state method of capital punishment well into the late 20th century. Convicted murderer Hamida Djandoubi became the last person to meet his end by the “National Razor” after he was executed by the guillotine in 1977. Still, the machine’s 189-year reign only officially came to an end in September 1981, when France abolished capital punishment for good.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, aardvark6535 said:

The guillotine remained France’s state method of capital punishment well into the late 20th century. Convicted murderer Hamida Djandoubi became the last person to meet his end by the “National Razor” after he was executed by the guillotine in 1977. Still, the machine’s 189-year reign only officially came to an end in September 1981, when France abolished capital punishment for good.

They did it under protest ..a little revolution don't do  no harm now and then .

20 hours ago, spilldig said:

Not as far fetched as it may sound.  Some people are extremely greedy and I can see pressure  being put on people by relatives.

From what I've been reading about kids resenting their parents spending their inheritance on holidays and the like, I think you're right. How would they react if mun or dad had to go into a care home at £1,000 a week?

On 28/03/2024 at 23:30, echo beach said:

Enjoy it while you can. Life’s precious.

There is the problem when you get to a stage where you cannot enjoy life and there is no prospect of one getting to stage where life can be enjoyed the person should be able to make their own descion

4 minutes ago, Thorpist said:

There is the problem when you get to a stage where you cannot enjoy life and there is no prospect of one getting to stage where life can be enjoyed the person should be able to make their own descion

And many people do everyday by committing suicide. I feel extremely sorry for individuals who feel that’s the only way out.

echo.

An article I came across a couple od weeks ago makes for fairly powerful reading; 

‘We need to talk about choice’: woman who ended life at Dignitas urges change to UK law   The Guardian

On the eve of her death in Switzerland Paola Marra told the Guardian about her journey and her wish that she could have died at home

3 hours ago, Thorpist said:

If you are not in pain and being well looked after by kind people there's no doubt you can live out your days in contented peace and quiet, enjoying the small pleasures of life quite happily. 

All the pressure is on the people doing the looking after, and such care is very expensive to the point where it will eat up every last penny you've got.

It's not always possible to be looked after at home by relatives because of severe needs, and because they will have to sacrifice years of their life and probably their jobs, and end up in penury themselves as a result.

People are quite capable of living into their 100's and beyond these days. Is it selfish to want to stay alive in those circumstances? or selfish expecting relatives to sacrifice young lives for old? Is it wrong of them to feel resentful of the elderly in those circumstances? Should love always be the deciding factor? Or should there be a 'cut off' point, beyond which hanging onto life is selfish and untenable? I honestly don't know, but I do know elderly people who definitely 'don't want to be a burden' even with the most loving of children..  and because they love their children literally more than life itself...

I think their should be legal options. I've always thought my cut off point would be 85 beyond which it's all downhill and bad news anyway so time to call it quits regardless of health, (but as I get older I admit I'm thinking of pushing it up to 90 🤒...

But then there's the sanctity of life argument... Like I said, I really don't know, so I'm really interested in what other people think. 

At my age Anna I’d push it up to 125. That would do nicely, thank you.😃

echo.