Hillsborough Is The 2nd Best Shopping Area After Town

Just now, Andy_terrier said:

I didn't say I was giving money to beggars at all I was just making a glib point. Your point was retailers are moving away from cashless I disagree and provided examples of that opinion. Also my experience of what you are saying with cash machines. Not seeing that when I am in the city centre most days.

My own business is cash only and many local businesses are, such as Five Star Fish Bar, Riverside Fish & Chips, Dynasty Today and many more. 

I haven't heard of any of them. I have heard of Motore coffee outside the station, alpha male barbers on snig hill, all of the supermarkets, all Gregg's, Feast on Chapel Walk, the pop up Sheffield shop in the Winter Gardens. All use contactless as a method of payment. Limiting your payment options limits your customer base.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

I haven't heard of any of them. I have heard of Motore coffee outside the station, alpha male barbers on snig hill, all of the supermarkets, all Gregg's, Feast on Chapel Walk, the pop up Sheffield shop in the Winter Gardens. All use contactless as a method of payment. Limiting your payment options limits your customer base.

Gregg's take cash payments. Feast take cash payments. 

Yes they do but they don't limit themselves to ONLY cash payments.  Your argument is that people don't want to use cashless, I counter that with small businesses are providing cashless payments BECAUSE their customers request it. You say businesses are moving away from contactless payments, I counter that with why would a business limit their potential customer base?

Case in point. Weirdly it seems that fish and chip shops don't seem to like cashless payments. I am aware of a few that's don't and in fact one such place lost out on my business because of this fact and the lack of available cash withdrawal facilities. I found another shop fairly close by that did take card payment and we enjoyed their cod and chips x 4 very much.

• Like 1

Isn’t this a separate topic for the general forum?

• Like 1

The generalisation around cashless payments maybe yes but there are specifics about Sheffield shopping habits so I would argue its fine where it is!

To try and claw back to the topic, I like the local feel of Woodseats but a bugger to travel by car to!  It would be great to have more shopping areas like that (and before anyone says anything this isn't anything to do with 15 minute local plans or anything...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy_terrier said:

The generalisation around cashless payments maybe yes but there are specifics about Sheffield shopping habits so I would argue its fine where it is!

For once, I agree with you. We are discussing the importance of cash facilities and naturally the subject will branch off in to other areas but I don't think we need to be policed on the discussion. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

For a start, not everyone drives there. And many shopping precincts provide ATMs, Meadowhall is one of them. Cash use is on the increase. 

I go to Drakehouse by public transport and I expect to be able to have access to an ATM. 

If you go there by public transport there's plenty of cash machines at the bus station there.

9 hours ago, Alextopman said:

If you go there by public transport there's plenty of cash machines at the bus station there.

Not everyone comes in that way. The number 30 stops at the top of the steps. It shouldn't be up to other companies to make up for Drakehouse's shortcomings.

24 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Not everyone comes in that way. The number 30 stops at the top of the steps. It shouldn't be up to other companies to make up for Drakehouse's shortcomings.

What steps ? 

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

What steps ? 

In between Crystal Peaks and Drakehouse

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

In between Crystal Peaks and Drakehouse

Ah , see what you mean now. :thumbsup:

• Like 1