Walking Is The New Cycling

9 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

The message should be clear:

Driving short distances is bad.

Walking those short distances is good.

My bold.

No it isn't. For some it's the way things have to be. 

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

No it isn't. For some it's the way things have to be. 

Well, of course. I'm talking about unnecessary driving short distances. Happy to clarify that.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The_DADDY said:

So you agree with me then when I said "Make the roads more accessible to all including cars, bikes and anyone else who uses them".

They should be accessible to everyone. The problem is people have conflicting requirements and the years of focussing on one group means redressing the balance is inevitably going to mean their priority will be lower than previously.

Do you think those who can reasonably, say, walk a couple of miles to work in the morning, should be encouraged to do so to improve the traffic flow for those who have got no legs/have to transport several bags of heavy tools/need to travel 40 miles to get to work? If not, what's your suggestion for improving traffic flows?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, altus said:

They should be accessible to everyone. The problem is people have conflicting requirements and the years of focussing on one group means redressing the balance is inevitably going to mean their priority will be lower than previously.

Do you think those who can reasonably, say, walk a couple of miles to work in the morning, should be encouraged to do so to improve the traffic flow for those who have got no legs/have to transport several bags of heavy tools/need to travel 40 miles to get to work? If not, what's your suggestion for improving traffic flows?

My bold

By all means encourage. 

Just don't coerce by deliberately making driving unnecessarily difficult. 

You'd agree with that wouldn't you? 

• Like 1

Let's have a SCC travel audit. 

Let's see how many SCC councillors turn up to the weekly council meetings at the Town Hall by bicycle & if they don't, let's see they reason why? 

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

By all means encourage. 

Just don't coerce by deliberately making driving unnecessarily difficult. 

You'd agree with that wouldn't you? 

We've had 70 years of making not driving "unnecessarily difficult". I favour redressing that balance.

• Like 1

We've had 70 years of making not driving "unnecessarily difficult". I favour redressing that balance.

I've been alive very nearly 70 years, I have never been a driver (apart from the 6 months I held a provisional licence) and not found it that difficult to get around.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I've been alive very nearly 70 years, I have never been a driver (apart from the 6 months I held a provisional licence) and not found it that difficult to get around.

"not found it that difficult" and "unnecessarily difficult" aren't the same things. SheffieldForums's example of flared junctions are not that difficult if you're reasonably fit and healthy and the traffic isn't too bad but are certainly more difficult than they need to be.

4 minutes ago, altus said:

"not found it that difficult" and "unnecessarily difficult" aren't the same things. SheffieldForums's example of flared junctions are not that difficult if you're reasonably fit and healthy and the traffic isn't too bad but are certainly more difficult than they need to be.

So why not cross the road away from the flared junction - just a thought?

21 minutes ago, altus said:

My bold

How? 

Flared junctions are a good example.  Cars often take them too fast and walkers have to be very careful.  Now there are a certain type of motorist who comes out with ‘pedestrians need to take responsibility for their safety’ type responses.  Of course they do but so do motorists.  And motorists shouldn’t need to be reminded that are protected in their metal box unlike the pedestrian.

Oh, and I do drive.  But I don’t make unnecessary short journeys by car when I could easily walk instead.  And I know the disabled person/person with a heavy work tool kit/person in a remote area etc etc need their car but there are plenty of other motorists driving when they don’t need to

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So why not cross the road away from the flared junction - just a thought?

Again, it's about road layouts being "unnecessarily difficult" for non motorists. What's the difficulty presented to motorists by not having flared junctions? Do faired junctions provide a big enough benefit to motorists that they out way the additional difficulties they present to non motorists?

• Like 1