Walking Is The New Cycling

36 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

So - thoughts? Should planning focus more on pedestrians? Should more roads be given over to pedestrianisation? Are you willing to ditch the car or bike to stroll places instead?

I can't recall ever seeing the authorities suggest that people "ditch the car". Leave the car at home sometimes and get around using some other means more often, yes, but using that phrase is needlessly antagonistic.

There's enough people desperate to turn any suggestion that people should use their cars less into a "they want to ban cars" rant, it doesn't need any help from you.

As for the I've got no legs/have to transport several bags of heavy tools/need to travel 40 miles to get to work crowd, it's not aimed at you. Just imagine how much freer traffic would move if some of the people only driving a couple of miles to work during rush hour walked instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

Make them paths you mean? 

No. 

Make pedestrians the first consideration, rather than cars.

As in my examples: ensure crossings are prioritised for pedestrians over cars, reduce flared junctions - plus things like segregation from vehicles, adequate tree cover, wider pavements, benches, etc - make it more pleasant to walk.

1 minute ago, altus said:

I can't recall ever seeing the authorities suggest that people "ditch the car". Leave the car at home sometimes and get around using some other means more often, yes, but using that phrase is needlessly antagonistic.

There's enough people desperate to turn any suggestion that people should use their cars less into a "they want to ban cars" rant, it doesn't need any help from you.

As for the I've got no legs/have to transport several bags of heavy tools/need to travel 40 miles to get to work crowd, it's not aimed at you. Just imagine how much freer traffic would move if some of the people only driving a couple of miles to work during rush hour walked instead.

Fair points.

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

No. 

As in my examples: ensure crossings are prioritised for pedestrians over cars, reduce flared junctions - plus things like segregation from vehicles, adequate tree cover, wider pavements, benches, etc - make it more pleasant to walk.

Great - if everyone was only going a short distance, but unfortunately, sometimes you need to go further than the end of the street/road.

7 minutes ago, altus said:

If only there were more sensible voices like this!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

No. 

But much more difficult to drive. 

The way I see it is too much of the roads have been given over already. I have no problem with pedestrian crossings, they are obviously essential so I'm not saying crossings shouldn't be prioritised but the road narrowing, the huge paths which I hardly ever see anyone use, the road closures, the pedestrianisation is just too much. 

As I see it it's a deliberate act to get people to give up their cars whether they want to or not. There was a push the get people to use public transport instead of cars. Another push to get people cycling instead of driving and now a possible push to get people walking instead of driving.

The message seems clear to me.

The message should be clear:

Driving short distances is bad.

Walking those short distances is good.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Just so long as this 'gathering  crowd of councillors, mayors  and think-tankers' start to lead by example.

Yes.  Let's ditch the official car &  see the Lord Mayor / Mayoress roll up to opening the Summer festivals in full regalia on bicycles. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baron99 said:

Yes.  Let's ditch the official car &  see the Lord Mayor / Mayoress roll up to opening the Summer festivals in full regalia on bicycles. 

I'd pay good money to see that 😁

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

You've about as much chance of becoming the King.

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

But much more difficult to drive. 

The way I see it is too much of the roads have been given over already. I have no problem with pedestrian crossings, they are obviously essential so I'm not saying crossings shouldn't be prioritised but the road narrowing, the huge paths which I hardly ever see anyone use, the road closures, the pedestrianisation is just too much. 

As I see it it's a deliberate act to get people to give up their cars whether they want to or not. There was a push the get people to use public transport instead of cars. Another push to get people cycling instead of driving and now a possible push to get people walking instead of driving.

The message seems clear to me.

You're forgetting the fact that we had about 70 years of only focussing road building on the needs of motorists/encouraging people to drive. An approach targetted at all people who need to get around has a long way to go before it reaches something that could be called balanced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, altus said:

You're forgetting the fact that we had about 70 years of only focussing road building on the needs of motorists/encouraging people to drive. An approach targetted at all people who need to get around has a long way to go before it reaches something that could be called balanced.

So you agree with me then when I said "Make the roads more accessible to all including cars, bikes and anyone else who uses them".