More And More Businesses Have Minimal Human Contact

14 hours ago, Mister M said:

Except we're not talking about the 'odd bolshy one' are we?

BRC reports 50% growth in retail staff violence and abuse in UK (retail-insight-network.com)

My local parish council office turned to telephones off, because they got angry people phoning in.

You would think it impreritive to listen to peoples concerns!

14 hours ago, despritdan said:

There seems to be an assumption that everybody's 20 years old and confident using technology and AI, which isn't the  case. A lot of older people find these changes bewildering and confusing. I wouldn't go somewhere where there's a screen and nobody to speak to as I'd be afraid of getting it wrong.

Don't worry.  Life has a way of balancing itself out.  At some point, one of those 20 year olds will want a fuse changing & they'll be clamouring for 60+ year old. 

13 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

20 years old?   You do know the internet has been around since the 1990s.  Mobile phones have been commonplace since late 1980s.  Smartphones came on the market way back in 2005.

By the age of 8 to 11, 55 per cent of kids owned a mobile phone, parents told Ofcom. By the time they reach age 12, the figure jumps to 97 per cent, and 99 per cent by age 17.

I heard that this week, I found it amazing that 97% of 12 year olds have a smartphone, yet people site hunger as a problem. Although I guess the figure is inacurate?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tech/uk-toddlers-smartphone-use-children-ofcom-study-b1074696.html

13 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

20 years old?   You do know the internet has been around since the 1990s.  Mobile phones have been commonplace since late 1980s.  Smartphones came on the market way back in 2005.

By the age of 8 to 11, 55 per cent of kids owned a mobile phone, parents told Ofcom. By the time they reach age 12, the figure jumps to 97 per cent, and 99 per cent by age 17.

I heard that this week, I found it amazing that 97% of 12 year olds have a smartphone, yet people site hunger as a problem. Although I guess the figure is inacurate?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tech/uk-toddlers-smartphone-use-children-ofcom-study-b1074696.html

13 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Don't worry.  Life has a way of balancing itself out.  At some point, one of those 20 year olds will want a fuse changing & they'll be clamouring for 60+ year old. 

Or one of those 20 years olds would just use their smartphone to look up how to change a fuse on the internet or watch one of the 1001 YouTube videos giving them a step by step demonstration.

30 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Usage of the App is now rapidly increasing, so in just a few years time we might see the majority of self-serve screens removed in favour of giving over more space for people to sit and just order from their phones to their table

The majority of people in Wetherspoons Pubs seem to sit at the table ordering  food and drinks on their phone using their app.

10 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

The majority of people in Wetherspoons Pubs seem to sit at the table ordering  food and drinks on their phone using their app.

Table service in pubs is long overdue.

Theres quite a few in Sheffield starting to do it now.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Or one of those 20 years olds would just use their smartphone to look up how to change a fuse on the internet or watch one of the 1001 YouTube videos giving them a step by step demonstration.

And when the Internet's down as well.  See I can just be as pedantic! 

You know exactly what I'm getting at in my response to despritdan. 

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

If and when the entire internet goes down there will be much bigger problems to worry about than just changing a fuse.

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

Table service in pubs is long overdue.

Theres quite a few in Sheffield starting to do it now.

Yep that I do agree with. Especially if there is a group of you. Much more civilised than all trying to cram around the bar or annoy other patrons by someone going up and ordering 8 meals and 16 drinks.  

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Wetherspoons might have an app but you'll still end up waiting as they never have enough staff on in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

And when you forget your bank card, you have to pay with cash at the bar.

• Like 1