Scotland And Wales

Is it better living in Scotland and Wales, because they have their own Parliament, what different laws/rules do they have?

Surely England should have its own Parliament too?

I believe Scotland have better democracy due to PR, so more people can be involved in local politics.

Free prescriptions, free university education,  free personal care, all eye examinations are free, free school meals for all children up to aged 9

free entry to national museums and galleries, two million Scots enjoy free bus travel across the country and no bridge tolls.

I havnt visited Scotland for over 10 years, does having these different things for free, make it a better place to live?

No. We are one country. 

With one border (the sea).

There is no wonder Scotland and Wales went their own way.

Would an English parliament suddenly bestow the benefits Scottish citizens enjoy (free prescriptions, University education etc, etc, etc),

of course they wouldn't.

We should be embarrassed having a country as small as ours split up and parts of it doing better than others.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Is it better living in Scotland and Wales, because they have their own Parliament, what different laws/rules do they have?

I believe Scotland have better democracy due to PR, so more people can be involved in local politics.

Free prescriptions, free university education,  free personal care, all eye examinations are free, free school meals for all children up to aged 9

free entry to national museums and galleries, two million Scots enjoy free bus travel across the country and no bridge tolls.

I havnt visited Scotland for over 10 years, does having these different things for free, make it a better place to live?

It certainly sounds better and we cannot ever be truly democratic without a PR voting system.

Hope they never leave but I don't blame them for wishing it.

The English MPs in the English dominated UK Parliament voted to create the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly and whatever they do/don't do in Northern Ireland. 

Nothing can happen without the say so of the English MPs in the English dominated UK Parliament, so if you want the 'same' as Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland then ask the English MPs in the English dominated UK Parliament, why?

Perhaps one of the UK's problems is that the too many people in England thinks that the UK is is an island surrounded by the sea!

Perhaps too many English think they need to pay to use their free national museums and galleries and two? million 5-21 year old  Scots enjoying free bus travel across Scotland is swamped by the numbers in London and Merseyside.

• Thanks 1

As a person who moved to scotland  when I retired to be nearer family members I would say that I am absolutely shocked by the way that the snp/greens assembly have dragged scotland into the gutter!All out hatred by some for the English,a drug problem that they fix by trying to make it legal,I will not mention the transgender thing!and I could continue for a very long time.!One of the many very big errors made by Blair was devolution....it should never,ever have even been considered!!There is,unfortunately,a feeling by the younger generation that Scotland should be free from government by westminster but what they do not see is which side their bread is buttered!!!Scotland would be unable to support its self,would not be allowed to join the eu or nato.Time for me to shut up before I get really angry!

20 minutes ago, dsweetman said:

As a person who moved to scotland  when I retired to be nearer family members I would say that I am absolutely shocked by the way that the snp/greens assembly have dragged scotland into the gutter!All out hatred by some for the English,a drug problem that they fix by trying to make it legal,I will not mention the transgender thing!and I could continue for a very long time.!One of the many very big errors made by Blair was devolution....it should never,ever have even been considered!!There is,unfortunately,a feeling by the younger generation that Scotland should be free from government by westminster but what they do not see is which side their bread is buttered!!!Scotland would be unable to support its self,would not be allowed to join the eu or nato.Time for me to shut up before I get really angry!

I won't argue against what you say as you obviously know more about Scotland than I do.

Despite that,  you make some statements without giving reasons  -  Why do you think they cannot join the EU and NATO ?       I understood that the EU would make them welcome.

You also say that Scotland cannot support itself so why are the SNP  so convinced that they could.

What I do agree with many Scottish people is that,  if we could be free from London  them I would vote for independence in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

No. We are one country. 

With one border (the sea).

There is no wonder Scotland and Wales went their own way.

Would an English parliament suddenly bestow the benefits Scottish citizens enjoy (free prescriptions, University education etc, etc, etc),

of course they wouldn't.

We should be embarrassed having a country as small as ours split up and parts of it doing better than others.

I recall a relative that moved to Newcastle and found it a friendlier place to live, with better public services.

There are many independent countries smaller than this one.

I dont believe you need to be richer to feel happier.

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

Absolutely not.  The last thing English taxpayers need is another layer of government.  Enough taxpayers money is wasted by local councils.  More English taxpayers money is being wasted by the introduction of elected mayors everywhere which is a nonsense.  Devolution in both Scotland and Wales should be reversed and replaced with a Minister for Scotland and a Minister for Wales. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Axe said:

Absolutely not.  The last thing English taxpayers need is another layer of government.  Enough taxpayers money is wasted by local councils.  More English taxpayers money is being wasted by the introduction of elected mayors everywhere which is a nonsense.  Devolution in both Scotland and Wales should be reversed and replaced with a Minister for Scotland and a Minister for Wales. 

Secretary of State for Scotland -Alister William Jack.

Secretary of State for Wales-David Thomas Charles Davies.

34 minutes ago, Axe said:

Who mentioned another layer of government ?

I'm talking of completely replacing the one in London for one of our own so it still adds up to ONLY ONE.

No mayor in the country could waste money on the epic scale demonstrated by this useless,  failed Tory government 

6 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The most perfect names for said positions!

6 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Another example of a waste of taxpayers money.  Those named individuals should replace the First Minister of Scotland and the First Minister of Wales.