Active Travel: How Much Is Too Much?

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Ah - hopefully one with brains.

What , at the council  😂😂😂

• Haha 1

On 12/03/2024 at 08:42, SheffieldForum said:

It seems every plan to implement some kind of active travel scheme is met with fierce resistance. Mostly, it seems, from car drivers who want to keep the best direct routes for driving, but sometimes from pedestrians who don’t want to share space with cyclists (especially in City Centres).

So, how much active travel is too much?

If you were forced to assign a percentage to the amount of roads given over to active travel, what would it be? 5%, 10% (leaving 95/90% of roads for car travel)? More? Less?

What else are the barriers to people accepting active travel?

Ideally there would be segregated cycle paths.  They have these on the continent, Holland and Denmark for example.  Obviously it’s not always possible on our cramped little roads but that big new cycle path running along Fargate could be segregated (assuming it isn’t already?  It doesn’t look like it on plans).  They could be incorporated in other places in town during redevelopment e.g. Pinstone St. Or where there is space or existing very wide paths alongside main roads.  Or where a minor road is closed to motor traffic.

As far as pedestrians go, I don’t think people generally mind cyclists so long as they are not on footpaths riding at speed around you, expecting you to leap out of way or stand aside whilst they charge through dinging their bell.  

Hopefully this thread won’t go in the same way as the other one with the ‘I’ve never experienced personally so it can’t be happening and you’re being a right old moaner’ type response.  

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 12:23, Ridgewalk said:

I’m a regular Public Transport user, tram, train, bus. I also drive. Given the choice I always prefer to leave the vehicle at home, it’s less stressful. I use the Middlewood park and ride when trains are on strike. Trains from Barnsley via Elsecar, Chapeltown are very unreliable. The train companies seem to prefer cancelling trains, to users inconvenience and packing us like sardines to ensure sufficient numbers of drivers and staff, presumably to avoid training them or paying a wage.

The all public transport is in public ownership the better

I use the bus or walk to town when I need to as it is easier (for my route to town anyway) than driving.  I have cycled in the past but stopped after experiencing appalling driving with drivers exiting side roads without looking properly.  Also seeing accidents with cyclists injured.  
As for trains, I agree totally.  I haven’t been on a train for over 2 years due to unreliability and overcrowding.

Privatisation has a lot to answer for. 

Personally I am very much in favour of schemes like this as I am fed up of getting stuck in traffic jams.

I am very much in favour of reduction of car usage, so I can drive without getting stuck in traffic hold ups

Just now, rogets said:

Whats wrong with reducing car usage?

In principle, nothing - have you tried reducing yours?

• Like 1

Just now, RollingJ said:

In principle, nothing - have you tried reducing yours?

I need my car

What I am saying is reduce car usage for those doing unnecessary travel by car, so that those who need a car can drive around more freely

For starters, I'd make kids walk to school rather than be driven

Just now, rogets said:

I need my car

What I am saying is reduce car usage for those doing unnecessary travel by car, so that those who need a car can drive around more freely

Why do you need your car? So do a lot of other people - or are you one of these 'entitled' individuals who work on the principle of 'do as I say, not do as I do'?

• Like 1

Just now, RollingJ said:

Why do you need your car? So do a lot of other people - or are you one of these 'entitled' individuals who work on the principle of 'do as I say, not do as I do'?

Well no, I actually do need my car

But lets say the schools argument, kids need to be driven to school.

Why not work out where the best schools are in Sheffield, and simply buy a house near that school?

That way your kids get the best school because you have moved to that schools catchment area, that way your kids can walk to school.  Where is the sense in living in one area and then having to drive your kids to a school in another area.

Why not just move to the catchment area with your most favoured school?

1 minute ago, rogets said:

Well no, I actually do need my car

But lets say the schools argument, kids need to be driven to school.

Why not work out where the best schools are in Sheffield, and simply buy a house near that school?

That way your kids get the best school because you have moved to that schools catchment area, that way your kids can walk to school.  Where is the sense in living in one area and then having to drive your kids to a school in another area.

Why not just move to the catchment area with your most favoured school?

That argument falls at the first hurdle rogets.

Granddaughter lives in the catchment area of 3 reasonable schools, yet has been allocated (pending objection) one (as others in this area) 2 bus rides (and then a walk) away. 

Worlds gone daft :huh:

• Like 1

Well I do think those in power have people's best concerns at heart with pollution, obesity etc...

Anything that helps health has to be a good thing.

And what is wrong with people cycling to where they need to go?

Or walking

Let’s stop with the name-calling and debate the subject rather than the person posting please. 👍

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rogets said:

I need my car

I wonder when I became the norm for so many parents to drive kids to school?   We can all have out opinions on this but I’m sure it can’t be sustainable.  Too many cars, too much pollution, too many accidents with drivers rushing around, too much anti social pavement parking. Children ought to go school as  locally as possible.  I know this is a complex issue not just down to parents choosing a school but the the numbers of children genuinely needing  to be driven to school ought to be supported to be kept to a minimum.

Edited by redruby
  • Like 1