Does Anyone Remember Norwood Hall Demolished In 1976

I have come across a few photos of a large house called Norwood Hall an imposing building that was on the eve of been saved but the council sent in the bulldozers in during the night and down it came ( sounds a bit familiar to  a recently demolished former pub this ).

The house was a mix of brick and stone construction but in the photos the house looked run down and the gardens overgrown. Not sure on location but I believe the house is in a book called ' Demolished Sheffield ' anyone have a copy is it a good read? 

Did anyone see this house before it went or know more about? 

4 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

I have come across a few photos of a large house called Norwood Hall an imposing building that was on the eve of been saved but the council sent in the bulldozers in during the night and down it came ( sounds a bit familiar to  a recently demolished former pub this ).

The house was a mix of brick and stone construction but in the photos the house looked run down and the gardens overgrown. Not sure on location but I believe the house is in a book called ' Demolished Sheffield ' anyone have a copy is it a good read? 

Did anyone see this house before it went or know more about? 

It was our playground when growing up in the early 70s  by that time it was known as bishopsholme  one time residence of bishop burrows first bishop of sheffield.

Whereabouts was it ?

Left hand side  going up herries road a little before devonshire arms pub its now all housing burrows drive i believe.

Lots of photos on Picture Sheffield.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Lots of photos on Picture Sheffield.

Yes  I have seen them what a shame it was demolished so near to been saved would have made a nice park.

Edited by GabrielC

I don't know if it will be mentioned in Mike Higginbottom's brilliant talk "Demolished Sheffield" next Monday 11th March at the Upper Wincobank Chapel, Wincobank Avenue S5 6BB (bus route 95/95A) .6-30 for 7pm.

On 08/03/2024 at 20:26, MyFriendStan said:

It was our playground when growing up in the early 70s  by that time it was known as bishopsholme  one time residence of bishop burrows first bishop of sheffield.

We used to go birds nesting around there and Roe woods,can you recall 7 ponds but think there were only 3 😁 

i can remember bishopsholme a big old building all the windows were covered up with corrugated sheets,looked a bit haunted! there was a rumour that someone was murdered there,but still we played in the grounds and the big old garages 

On 10/03/2024 at 11:58, gaz678 said:

We used to go birds nesting around there and Roe woods,can you recall 7 ponds but think there were only 3 😁 

I can remember five of the ponds from 65 years ago.

Why are some houses called «  Hall »’s ? What’s the definition ?

On 10/03/2024 at 11:58, gaz678 said:

Used to go to the ponds and bring frogs home.