Should Sheffield Allow Strip Clubs?

Great article in today's Tribune with a good look at what has happened regarding strip clubs and sex workers in Sheffield since Spearmint Rhino closed.

ab87a1f8-b2f8-4af2-bdb1-9421acc1cbed_1615x908.thumb.jpg.75671bb1a688d96860b9c3ca46ce6c25.jpg

Extract: “Why shouldn’t it be a commodity we are allowed to sell?” asks Gemma, a 26-year-old performer who also used to work at Spearmint Rhino. She has continued to strip as her main source of income since the club closed but now has to “travel every day up and down the UK to access a safe space to work,” which has made it far harder to earn a living. She’s baffled by the idea that sex and sexuality, unlike almost every other human activity, should not be acceptable to buy and sell. “I’m happy providing the service I do and I don’t understand why it should be seen as wrong.” 

Read the full article here: Can you still strip in Sheffield, after 6 years the jury's still out.

What do you think? Should Sheffield allow strip clubs?

I think if we were more honest about it and called them brothels, I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. Someone wants to have sex, and pays someone else for that sex. The people get to do it in a safe place, where condoms can be provided, and the females can get support if they need it. I think that's fine.

Perhaps it's the 3rd party like Spearmint Rhino conglomerate making money out of it that makes me feel a bit icky

Edited by Mister M

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think if we were more honest about it and called them brothels, I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. Someone wants to have sex, and pays someone else for that sex. The people get to do it in a safe place, where condoms can be provided, and the females can get support if they need it. I think that's fine.

Perhaps it's the 3rd party like Spearmint Rhino conglomerate making money out of it that makes me feel a bit icky

Think you're confusing Rhinos with City Sauna :lol:

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

Great article in today's Tribune with a good look at what has happened regarding strip clubs and sex workers in Sheffield since Spearmint Rhino closed.

ab87a1f8-b2f8-4af2-bdb1-9421acc1cbed_1615x908.thumb.jpg.75671bb1a688d96860b9c3ca46ce6c25.jpg

Extract: “Why shouldn’t it be a commodity we are allowed to sell?” asks Gemma, a 26-year-old performer who also used to work at Spearmint Rhino. She has continued to strip as her main source of income since the club closed but now has to “travel every day up and down the UK to access a safe space to work,” which has made it far harder to earn a living. She’s baffled by the idea that sex and sexuality, unlike almost every other human activity, should not be acceptable to buy and sell. “I’m happy providing the service I do and I don’t understand why it should be seen as wrong.” 

Read the full article here: Can you still strip in Sheffield, after 6 years the jury's still out.

If someone wants to strip for a living and someone wants to pay for it then let them do it. As long as they are both adults and willing participants then I don't see the problem myself.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

If someone wants to strip for a living and someone wants to pay for it then let them do it. As long as they are both adults and willing participants then I don't see the problem myself.

This is the gist of it. 

As far as I'm aware both the performers and the punters at Rhinos were all consenting adults. The performers were protected by a security team in the off-chance a punter got too handsy. Likewise the performers had strict rules on how far they could go in terms of physical interactions with said punters.

There was a discussion on another platform a long time ago that I remember being part of and one of the main objectors of establishments like Rhinos was caught out in a massive hypocrisy by a smart commentor who got her to admit that not only are male strip shows acceptable but she'd been to see Dreamboys and other male strip troupes. 

Would you all mind members of your family working in one and all your neighbours and locals knowing,  honesty please?

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

I dont see why not.  Its not as if they are forcing people to go in or work there

1 minute ago, cressida said:

Would you all mind members of your family working in one and all your neighbours and locals knowing,  honesty please?

Oh cressida lovey. If only you knew 😬

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Not sure I would call Rhino a brothel.  Is there data to back up that claim?

29 minutes ago, Resident said:

This is the gist of it. 

As far as I'm aware both the performers and the punters at Rhinos were all consenting adults. The performers were protected by a security team in the off-chance a punter got too handsy. Likewise the performers had strict rules on how far they could go in terms of physical interactions with said punters.

There was a discussion on another platform a long time ago that I remember being part of and one of the main objectors of establishments like Rhinos was caught out in a massive hypocrisy by a smart commentor who got her to admit that not only are male strip shows acceptable but she'd been to see Dreamboys and other male strip troupes. 

Wow! That's some Class A hypocrisy right there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cressida said:

If they make a good living, why not?  Whats the problem?

4 minutes ago, alchemist said:

Not sure I would call Rhino a brothel.  Is there data to back up that claim?

No I'm not claiming that Rhino's is a brothel.

I'm just venting my own feelings about strip clubs. 

I've no problem with brothels, far from it. Not so keen on strip clubs. 

A gut instinct feeling.

Edited by Mister M