7 minutes ago, Andy_terrier said:

I thought Sheffield had 2 Ring Roads?

I believe the main issue Sheffield has is the geography of the area.  Most other major cities in the UK are on a lot more open ground whilst all roads literally lead to the city centre in a dip between the hills here.

It does. Some would contend that the outer ring road is only partial, as it isn’t a dual carriageway road all the way round.

Not a bad summary of the topographical issue.

13 hours ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

Its a visual thing maybe if you travel these routes everyday you’ll understand instead of believing in some random event that monitors the traffic 

i have to drive along Abbeydale road at least once a week, it's been a nightmare for years.

best case scenario opening a few side roads might help a *bit* (maybe?), but given the relentless rise in congestion it would only buy us a few years (and then we'd also have side roads full of cars)

worth noting : The Nether edge filter on Archer Lane has been permanently removed - traffic is still awful.

And the Little London Road filter was removed for a few days (before Christmas?) - the taxis and delivery drivers soon found it! - and traffic was still awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

i have to drive along Abbeydale road at least once a week, it's been a nightmare for years.

best case scenario opening a few side roads might help a *bit* (maybe?), but given the relentless rise in congestion it would only buy us a few years (and then we'd also have side roads full of cars)

worth noting : The Nether edge filter on Archer Lane has been permanently removed - traffic is still awful.

And the Little London Road filter was removed for a few days (before Christmas?) - the taxis and delivery drivers soon found it! - and traffic was still awful.

The problem with opening up more roads is the phenomenon of ‘induced demand’ — whereby opening up capacity just fills that capacity almost straight away.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand 

The reverse is true also; reducing capacity creates a phenomenon where the demand just disappears after a short while.

• Like 1

well, exactly.

if we keep on prioritising cars, we're going to keep on getting more and more cars - it's a game that we simply cannot win.

no city has ever fixed congestion by making it easier to drive - most have tried, most are still trying, with a 100% failure rate - it's literally *never* worked, anywhere, ever.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

That might be your view, but saying “100%”, doesn’t make it true.

I’ve never seen any factual evidence to support that view. I can’t ever recall hearing anyone else put forward that view either.

it's 100% true there is a plethora of information online to digest, pointing at this as being the main hurdle, once you stop hoping someone has written it into one article for you to digest easily you'll grow to understand

its not your fault, were all learning buddie

6 hours ago, ads36 said:

well, exactly.

if we keep on prioritising cars, we're going to keep on getting more and more cars - it's a game that we simply cannot win.

no city has ever fixed congestion by making it easier to drive - most have tried, most are still trying, with a 100% failure rate - it's literally *never* worked, anywhere, ever.

more roads = less traffic 

is this too hard to understand haha

1 minute ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

more roads = less traffic 

is this too hard to understand haha

As was already stated, the opposite is true.

Read up on 'induced demand'.

So - more roads = more traffic.

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

As was already stated, the opposite is true.

Read up on 'induced demand'.

So - more roads = more traffic.

your mistaken

more cars = more traffic 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

it's 100% true there is a plethora of information online to digest, pointing at this as being the main hurdle, once you stop hoping someone has written it into one article for you to digest easily you'll grow to understand

its not your fault, were all learning buddie

So would you care to provide some links to this “plethora” of information which confirms that lack of road infrastructure is limiting Sheffield’s growth?

I’m not your “buddie” either.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

your mistaken

more cars = more traffic 

So, you didn't bother to read up on the concept of induced demand than?

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 20:45, hackey lad said:

Who is /runs Connecting Sheffield ?

Anyone ? please .

5 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Anyone ? please .

Connecting Sheffield is the overarching brand of a series of consultations and transport planning improvements initially funded by the Government Transforming Cities Fund.

I think it is mainly Sheffield City Council, but includes other organisations and authorities. 

It has been in place since a bid in around 2018/19 and the funding awarded in around 2020.