The Foresters: Division Street Pub Which Opened In 1828 To Be Reborn

Nice to see the return of more 'traditional' style pubs in the City Centre. The Hallamshire Hotel (recently Bloo88) is reopening soon and going back to its original name and music hall roots, and now 'Gatsby' on the corner of Division Street/Rockingham Street is returning to it's former guise as The Foresters.

https://www.facebook.com/TheForestersSheffield/posts/pfbid0Y1spd5UAsTMmnxUxYueNu2gXuTnAW8WiAwBekrwoyScPrSU6Z5PWCuxybYhcSEcYl

s25962.jpg

The Hallamshire: 

https://www.facebook.com/hallamshirehotel

7dd6c86ba386ed119469005056947b6c.jpg

Edited by deejayone
  • Like 3

I used  to go in the Foresters when Tony Bomber Baines the ex boxer had it.

They had a clocking in machine in there and a 50 pence coin stuck into the floor.

I lost count of the times I saw people trying to pick it up then one day it had vanished, the next 50p coin had a spike welded onto it and was embedded into the floor.

Edited by Alextopman
  • Like 2

Good old fashioned boozer when Tony had it. Should never have been allowed to Knock the character out of it.

On 27/01/2024 at 10:49, prince al said:

Good old fashioned boozer when Tony had it. Should never have been allowed to Knock the character out of it.

What was the reason it originally closed? 

With regards to the Great Gatsby or Gatsby as it was later known, it might not have been the cup of tea of traditional pub goers but it was a successful and popular bar for many years up until the post-covid era, and it generally offered something more interesting and characterful than a lot of fairly anonymous bars in the city centre.

I'm generally happy in either kind of establishment so I'll be interested to see what it's like as the Foresters

• Like 1

I remember it changing from the Foresters to (i think) The Yorick, which was awful.

Agree though Gatsby was great until pandemic, went in in November and didnt enjoy it at all. 

Sounds really positive what they're doing and should in some way make up for the Old House' demise to the IKEA knock off bar it is now 

With regards to the Gatsby , went in a couple of times seemed ok. I doubt if pubs like the Grapes, Dog and partridge,  Shakespeare, Fagins would be allowed to have the guts ripped out of them. 

Edited by prince al

On 26/01/2024 at 12:15, SheffieldForum said:

Nice to see the return of more 'traditional' style pubs in the City Centre. The Hallamshire Hotel (recently Bloo88) is reopening soon and going back to its original name and music hall roots, and now 'Gatsby' on the corner of Division Street/Rockingham Street is returning to it's former guise as The Foresters.

https://www.facebook.com/TheForestersSheffield/posts/pfbid0Y1spd5UAsTMmnxUxYueNu2gXuTnAW8WiAwBekrwoyScPrSU6Z5PWCuxybYhcSEcYl

s25962.jpg

The Hallamshire: 

https://www.facebook.com/hallamshirehotel

7dd6c86ba386ed119469005056947b6c.jpg

Is this a paid advertisement?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Is this a paid advertisement?

No!

• Like 1